Motu Express XT USB old vs new
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Motu Express XT USB old vs new

Hello

I noticed there are two version of the Motu Express XT, both with USB, what's the difference?

Will I have problems with drivers or of any sort? Any feature missing, any drawback?

Thanks!
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

for something as important as midi timing and compatibility i would go new
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
for something as important as midi timing and compatibility i would go new
Why midi timing? Is it improved in the new version?

Anyone has experiences with the old usb model?

Thanks
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Yes, I have the old model and have no issues on OS 10.7.5. I've often wondered what (if anything) they may have changed and updated but i suppose not enough to actually look into it. MOTU always had the best timing, I wouldn't be concerned there and I wouldn't be surprised if it is only an updated case to match the look of their current audio devices.

also, MIDI is now 30 years old and the standard hasn't changed and they've had everything figured out for some time now. I can't imagine a new interface performing any better than a 10 year old one considering.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

I have both the old look and the brand new XT USB. In total I have three of them. Except for the way they look on the outside there is absolutely no discernible difference in performance or functionality. They look exactly the same in Clockworks too when you want to configure them. Truthfully, I wish they DID look different to Clockworks cause MOTU, in their infinite wisdom, did not provide any way to name a device so that you know which one you are playing with when you have multiple midi patchbays configured on the same PC.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Thank you, as I supposed...

Actually the timing is better in my Saffire 24 Pro (that I use only for midi..) or I think any Firewire interface that has Midi (and the best is the Fireface 800), and that piss me off because any brand has built a multi channel midi interface using firewire..........

But now I need 8 independent channels.. so I'll sell the Saffire

May I ask you another thing? What's the sync gen in the MTP?
I mean.. is it something that helps syncing more reliably and hw sequencer with the daw? Like, sort of, innerclock?

Thanks again
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

Actually the timing is better in my Saffire 24 Pro (that I use only for midi..) or I think any Firewire interface that has Midi (and the best is the Fireface 800), and that piss me off because any brand has built a multi channel midi interface using firewire..........

I mean.. is it something that helps syncing more reliably and hw sequencer with the daw? Like, sort of, innerclock?

Thanks again
midi clock is bars and beats, mtp is hours minuites sec's frames. it's a clock.

problem i have is its always a frame out connected to external gear on the XT.

anyone know a way how to solve this?
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

Thanks again
I use an Innerclock Systems Sync Gen Pro II so I really don't depend on anything else and it works fantastically well. I take midi clock out of the Sync Gen and feed it into a port on each of my 3 MOTU units so everything is rock solid. The DAW then is clock master with absolutely no clock jitter at all. It was worth every penny.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search