anyone know what synth this is?
New Reply
Subscribe
Jaingra8
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

anyone know what synth this is?

anyone know what synth is being used here in the intro to "Kites" by the lead singer of Geographer? check it out here:

Geographer - "Kites" (Live at WFUV) - YouTube

it looks pretty lo-fi, either a DIY synth, or something crappy and digital (though it sounds really fresh). he's got some sort of mod on it for a tap-tempo control for the arpeggiator that i've never seen before...

to me the tone itself sounds like something off of a yamaha pss-30 / 40 series, or casio PT-10; thoughts?

i figured if anyone knew the answer, it'd be on here...
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear Guru

I think it's a PT-10.

It's most likely not an arpeggiator, just a very simple single-note sequencer; by letting through a clock pulse you can advance it one step. The intro basically shows him programming the sequence.

I have no idea whether the "advance one step" is a modification - but it should not be that complicated. You could do the same by quickly enabling/disabling the clock (but you'd have to do it without resetting the sequence so that it'd play from start again).
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

looks like it's a regular feature of the unit (the "one key play" button).
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

hell ya! i actually have a pt-10... but it's white. can't believe i didn't realize this, although looks like my guess was right. thanks guys!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search