Minitaur Bass
New Reply
Subscribe
sentokan
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Minitaur Bass

I am thinking of getting the MT, thing is, just for bass duties.
Does it REALLY make bass better than other synths?

(I own Virus Ti, Evolver, FR Revolution and Nord Lead
I use to own Moog Sp and Mopho)

The demos do not impress me, I feel Evolver and Virus can do as well in the bass department..

Please state ur oppinions.
Thanks!
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentokan View Post

The demos do not impress me, I feel Evolver and Virus can do as well in the bass department..

Thanks!
Don't get it.

If the sound doesn't impress you, then there's your answer.

And if you feel the Evolver or Virus does better, then it DOES better (for you).

You don't need a bunch of anonymous chumps with zero context or qualifications on the internet to tell you what YOU already know, hear and feel.

(Then again, maybe THAT advice should be ignored too, for the very same reasons, but then, wait... er, um )

-andrews
sentokan
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Anyone else?
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Quote:

Thanks!
I have recently gotten a Minitaur. Demo's do not do it justice, because if you are listening through screen monitor speakers or similar, they don't pick up the low end frequencies.

The moment I turned it on, I realised this was one hell of a sound. Deep, rich quality Moog tone, that was very very pleasing. Having experimented further, although perhaps limited in some respects, I have got quite a wide range of bass sounds that don't nessesarily bark 'Moog'.

As is the obvious, you need to check one out for yourself to be sure. I own a Virus/Nord etc. They cannot touch the MT for low end snerl and growl. In fact not even close.

'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

I had an Evolver and have a Minitaur. The Moog is much easier for getting big bass.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear nut

its the best synth i have used for bass.

rev 2 is really nice as well, being able to save patches has helped me loads.
sentokan
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I have recently gotten a Minitaur. Demo's do not do it justice, because if you are listening through screen monitor speakers or similar, they don't pick up the low end frequencies.

The moment I turned it on, I realised this was one hell of a sound. Deep, rich quality Moog tone, that was very very pleasing. Having experimented further, although perhaps limited in some respects, I have got quite a wide range of bass sounds that don't nessesarily bark 'Moog'.

As is the obvious, you need to check one out for yourself to be sure. I own a Virus/Nord etc. They cannot touch the MT for low end snerl and growl. In fact not even close.
Even for short plucked basses?
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post

The moment I turned it on, I realised this was one hell of a sound. Deep, rich quality Moog tone, that was very very pleasing. ..
Indeed, after trying it a couple of times in the store, I seriously need it. Once budget allows, I'll get that and put my hard-to-pay vintage Minimoog bass dreams behind me!

I can't imagine getting a better 24db filter bass sound from any other new synth at this time. I could certainly find one that was more full featured, but that's another thing..
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

If you don't like it, go for what you like instead.
sentokan
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
If you don't like it, go for what you like instead.
Who said I didn t like it? I didn t have it, that is the aim of this post. So if u don t wanna help, don t just post with no reason.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

It's a cool sound, but doesn't seem to fit in tonally with my vermonas.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who said I didn t like it? I didn t have it, that is the aim of this post. So if u don t wanna help, don t just post with no reason.
Since you're gonna be rude to people who try to make suggestions, I don't feel the least bit like a jerk for telling you that this has been discussed several times before. Clicking "Search This Forum" and typing "Minitaur" would yield several results such as these:

Moog Bass! is minitaur really up 2 the challenge?
Moog Minitaur vs Slim Phatty
Best Bass Monosynth
Moog Minitaur or Novation K-Station Bass
cheap hardware bass analog synth for mellow sounds

If you're gonna re-post questions that have been asked before, at least try and be nice to people when they reply.

Also if you post:

Quote:
Don't be surprised when people do.

That is all.
My Rock Band: http://lowvoltagerangers.com
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Calm down man, it just gives the impression of your post that you don't like it. There are plenty of Minitaur threads that recently discussed this thing - start read there. And everything is a matter of taste - there are few synths not sounding good, but there are many different characters of sound. I you aren't impressed by the sound character in the demos it's probably something else that fits you better. To me it's absolutely Minitaur.

Gear: www.soundofmusic.se
Music: www.analogprophet.com

https://soundcloud.com/analog-prophet
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to soundsubs
sentokan
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
Since you're gonna be rude to people who try to make suggestions, I don't feel the least bit like a jerk for telling you that this has been discussed several times before. Clicking "Search This Forum" and typing "Minitaur" would yield several results such as these:

Best Bass Monosynth

If you're gonna re-post questions that have been asked before, at least try and be nice to people when they reply.

Also if you post:

That is all.
First of all I read all those threads! I know how to use the search function, not that new to the forum, I think even older than u.
Second, I am not rude, but Analog Prophet was!
And third what's it to U?? I don't get it why people post when they have nothing helpful to say!!
sentokan
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Calm down man, it just gives the impression of your post that you don't like it. There are plenty of Minitaur threads that recently discussed this thing - start read there. And everything is a matter of taste - there are few synths not sounding good, but there are many different characters of sound. I you aren't impressed by the sound character in the demos it's probably something else that fits you better. To me it's absolutely Minitaur.
Actually I am calm man. It's one thing to hear it in person and another to listen to demos online.. I don t have the opportunity to listen to it where I live so I ask oppinions from people who owned it.
I don t want to pay for a synth just to realize can't do bass better than say my Evolver, Virus or Revolution.
I can make good bass with those, just feel that it must be something analog that does a fuller bass.
I am looking especialy for plucked bass sounds like the ones on the full on psy trance, so I don't care if it growls with the filter decay and sustain open as it will be closed in the plucky type of bass that I am interested.
sentokan
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsubs View Post
What's that great about this video, mostly noise... I am more on the melodic side. Thanks anyway!

Thanks Flat Earth,fearofflying, AJ Reynolds, GeorgeHayduke!!
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Actually I am calm man. It's one thing to hear it in person and another to listen to demos online.. I don t have the opportunity to listen to it where I live so I ask oppinions from people who owned it.
I'm not sure people's written opinions are going to be more valid than online demos (where you can hear it).

I'm a Minitaur owner and I like the sound for all kinds of stuff, but I'm not terribly thrilled by the near requirement to use a USB connected computer to do some of the edits or preset management. I don't even want presets, but there are some key parameters that are global which I like to modify, and as it stands I can't even see what their values are without connecting my laptop.

Quote:
I don t want to pay for a synth just to realize can't do bass better than say my Evolver, Virus or Revolution.
I think all three of those can do decent bass, but where the Minitaur shines is how full the bass is. It feels like it consumes the entire bass range below 60Hz if you let it. It's massive.

Quote:
I am looking especialy for plucked bass sounds like the ones on the full on psy trance, so I don't care if it growls with the filter decay and sustain open as it will be closed in the plucky type of bass that I am interested.
Huh. For plucked bass I would probably look for something FM based. Have you looked at PreenFM or one of the many Yamaha FM synths?
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post

Best Bass Monosynth

Also if you post:

That is all.
this guy

3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear addict

In the age of 30 days money back there's really not too much reason for such threads
Just buy one, if you don't like it, send it back.
Or buy second hand, if you don't like it, sell it for the same price again.
Nothing beats testing gear at home for a while....
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I had 1 but sent it back due to hardware and software issues. There seems maybe a few floating around with issues but equally lots of people have solid good working ones. Doesn't sound anything like a mopho or virus it sounds like a moog and a big dirty beast of one on bass too.

In the new year I'm either going to try another one or I have utter gas to fill my moog passion with a white slim phatty. For deep analog bass it doesn't get much better than the Minitaur I'm rather gutted mine was so flaky build wise but every company has an odd few dodgy batches now and again and as stated I see a lot of reports of happy people just wish I'd been one.

Also bear in mind it is a bit of a 1 trick synth, it can do a few things but primarily it's a bass synth I think people want it to be more sometimes and get disappointed myself included hence why I'm torn between a phatty or a minitaur now

Ben
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
First of all I read all those threads! I know how to use the search function, not that new to the forum, I think even older than u.
And third what's it to U?? I don't get it why people post when they have nothing helpful to say!!
This is not OK. I suggest the Moderator to cut this thread since this dude apparently can't handle a discussion without repeated rudeness.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
better than say my Evolver, Virus or Revolution.
If I say yes, will you buy one ?
If I say no will you not buy one?

They are all different. Only you can decide what is "better" fto you or for you.

As for ME and me alone, I prefer the Minitaur to all of those for bass.

Does that help you at all?

Powerman has spoken!
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
It's a cool sound, but doesn't seem to fit in tonally with my vermonas.
Would you say the Moog sound generally doesn't fit with the Vermonas? I Ask because i have a Mono Lancet & The Slim Phatty was to be the next purchase after i got a Perfourmer MKII. Of course i'll listen for myself but was interested in your observations. Cheers!
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood View Post
I'm a Minitaur owner and I like the sound for all kinds of stuff, but I'm not terribly thrilled by the near requirement to use a USB connected computer to do some of the edits or preset management. I don't even want presets, but there are some key parameters that are global which I like to modify, and as it stands I can't even see what their values are without connecting my laptop.
What would be awesome is if Moog put out some sort of "Minitaur expander", which would give a physical interface to all the controls on the Under the Hood section of the software editor.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by acealive View Post
In the age of 30 days money back there's really not too much reason for such threads
Just buy one, if you don't like it, send it back.
Or buy second hand, if you don't like it, sell it for the same price again.
Nothing beats testing gear at home for a while....
Exactly. I'm confounded as to why someone would even start a thread with "Should I get it? I don't like the sound of the demos." I thought the demos of the Minitaur sounded great, personally, but I didn't buy it because I felt it wasn't different enough or better than other monosynths I already own. Sure, there are also products that I've hoped to like despite not liking any demos, but if you can't find a single demo that you like, there's a very good chance you're wasting your time.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
No he wasn't.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012

be nice everyone
sentokan
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This is not OK. I suggest the Moderator to cut this thread since this dude apparently can't handle a discussion without repeated rudeness.
Sorry judge! Thanks for the great help!!
sentokan
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconTastesGood View Post
I'm not sure people's written opinions are going to be more valid than online demos (where you can hear it).

I think all three of those can do decent bass, but where the Minitaur shines is how full the bass is. It feels like it consumes the entire bass range below 60Hz if you let it. It's massive.

Huh. For plucked bass I would probably look for something FM based. Have you looked at PreenFM or one of the many Yamaha FM synths?
Thanks a lot man!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search