Nord Wave - a quality sampler synth?
Olavur
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear interested

Nord Wave - a quality sampler synth?

Hi there,
I've been looking for a good live synth that gives me the ability to bring my own sounds on stage. i.e. from my moog, farfisa, vocoder strings, etc.
As I have not tried the Wave yet, I would like to hear your thoughts on the quality of the Nord Wave as a sampler and it's mapping functions.

Would the Wave be the right choice for me or can someone recommend some other synths with similar functions?
Let there be said, that I really, really don't like the visual aspects of Nord synths, but so far the Nord wave, seems to be the best solution for bringing my studio synths with me on stage.

Any thoughts - other suggestions?

Cheers
Ó
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear addict

all the key maps and looping is done on the computer.

I record into PT, export as wav to the Nord Wave sample manager, then transfer the new sample set to the NW.

2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

You don't like how Nords look?

Wow, as well as sounding wonderful I think my Wave is a stunner to look at. Just saying.
Olavur
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear interested

yeah, ok it looks alright. Never mind, that. I'm more interested the quality of the resampling and mapping anyway.
I do know about the Blofeld that can do similar stuff. However, the Wave has 180 megabytes and I think, the Blofeld has around 60 MB. So most likely, the Wave is the better choice. Have you tried the Blofeld?
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

If you don't care about the resynthesizing functions of the Nord Wave, then I wouldn't get it. Speaking as someone who used one for awhile...it didn't do anything for me. Glad I wasn't the one who made the purchase on it. Furthermore, it has been out for several years and as such I wouldn't be surprised if Clavia discontinues support in the near future, from what I've seen with the Modular line...so if having support to you is important (and I would think it would be if you were going to buy a brand new instrument) then again, would not recommend it.

If all you want is a synth with sample playback capability, I would take a long hard look at the Alesis Fusion (6HD if you want 61 keys, 8HD if you want 88 keys). They are probably one of the best bang for buck synths out there right now. Very flexible synth engine if you want it, or you can use it to bring your studio to the stage, as you say...with its sampling. I picked up a 6HD awhile back for $400 on Craigslist and I have no regrets.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
...it has been out for several years and as such I wouldn't be surprised if Clavia discontinues support in the near future...
What do you mean by 'support' repairs? operating?, Clavia's customer service is better than Krg, Rlnd & Ymh in my experience.
They've been doing synths for a long time and the NW doesn't operate very differently than the first Nord. Similar to the Virus: many versions>lots more features, but same basic machine. Besides, there's plenty of support online and the NW is thee easiest and immediately gratifying synth out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight View Post
...Alesis Fusion ... I picked up a 6HD awhile back for $400 on Craigslist and I have no regrets.
Well, for $400 I'd be happy with a Fusion as well, that's a very good deal.
I won't be using a Fusion though, I don't like their UI.
The NW UI is great. I look forward to using it, and I'm never frustrated with it, it's nothing but a pleasure to use and it makes me want to keep playing. I get in trouble because I get sucked into playing when I'm supposed to be doing other things. I never quit playing it out of frustration like I have with SOO many other synths.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbow73 View Post
What do you mean by 'support' repairs? operating?, Clavia's customer service is better than Krg, Rlnd & Ymh in my experience.
They've been doing synths for a long time and the NW doesn't operate very differently than the first Nord. Similar to the Virus: many versions>lots more features, but same basic machine. Besides, there's plenty of support online and the NW is thee easiest and immediately gratifying synth out there.

Well, for $400 I'd be happy with a Fusion as well, that's a very good deal.
I won't be using a Fusion though, I don't like their UI.
The NW UI is great. I look forward to using it, and I'm never frustrated with it, it's nothing but a pleasure to use and it makes me want to keep playing. I get in trouble because I get sucked into playing when I'm supposed to be doing other things. I never quit playing it out of frustration like I have with SOO many other synths.

The support folks at Clavia that I've talked to have all been on off-days then, I guess...

The G2 I bought brand new not long after it came out and only a few years went by before they stopped supporting it and promises in their software were abandoned? Hell had to push to get them to release the final update for it even. And I had the USB port go out on mine, which I ended up having to figure out how to fix myself, so it didn't become a paperweight.. I realize that the G2 was not a big money maker for Clavia, probably their worst selling product ever...but even if they never expanded the software to my expectations at least they could have fixed all the bugs before abandoning it and been more helpful in servicing the machine.

I think the G2 is cool and fun as is, but they didn't really take the idea as far as I hoped for, it added a few modules but it also subtracted a few from the original, and they talked it all up with physical modeling promises... The response I got from them when I emailed them about the G2 (before it was officially discontinued) was pretty much what I would expect from Korg/etc...that my product was "old" and they would not be supporting it any more... If I wanted a completely disposable product I would have bought a Korg...even Access still offered support on my Virus Indigo that needed parts for repair last year, and that's clearly a lot older product than the G2...

Anyone expecting the Nord Wave to NOT be discontinued in the near future is kidding themselves, and I imagine Clavia's response when seeking support will be like what I got from them with the G2.

Don't get me wrong I greatly prefer the Nord interface over Access (which is why the Indigo is gone!), but their gadgets I feel are too expensive for the level of support I personally received...and I won't ever be buying one brand new again, especially not something like a Wave this late in its life.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

I personally didn't care for it as a sampler, especially in regards to mapping which was done automatically based on file names. Real shame as I was hoping it would work out in the way you're describing but it just didn't.
Olavur
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear interested

ok...so I should probably not go for it..
Could you give a better explanation on the reason why it's not a good sampler/mapping?
What were the disadvantages? Does the sound change a lot compared to the original?

- any other zynth suggestions?
Is it for instance possible to sample with a Memotron? I know it's based on the CPT sound file format. - but I don't know anything about that. Is this possible..anyone?
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

have you thought about a Roland V-Synth ?

in my option it is the greatest sampling synth ever conceived and it is a well designed performance instrument. for what you're looking for, I would think it a far better fit than the Nord Wave.

(an opinion which has nothing to do with being another slightly bitter Nord Modular owner that doesn't think very much of Clavia as a company)

Roland's VariPhrase is a great technology and the V-Synth does a good job at sampling other synths. As you mentioned vocoder strings, the current GT model has the Vocal Designer integrated throughout the synth engine which could be useful for you, but I love my original model for its ability to become a D-50. Definitely worth a look.
5th December 2012
Old 5th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olavur View Post
ok...so I should probably not go for it..
Could you give a better explanation on the reason why it's not a good sampler/mapping?
What were the disadvantages? Does the sound change a lot compared to the original?

- any other zynth suggestions?
Is it for instance possible to sample with a Memotron? I know it's based on the CPT sound file format. - but I don't know anything about that. Is this possible..anyone?

Purely from a hardware standpoint, as a simple playback sampling unit it is fairly limited and doesn't really have much memory for storing samples compared to other workstations. The cost of the Nord Wave is very high if this is the only feature you want it for, I'm not totally clear on your needs? It sounded like you just want to sample your existing keys and take them on stage. The Nord Wave's key selling point is that it allows you to sample and use that carrier in its synthesis engine, which when I used it can be an interesting way of coming up with a certain type of sound, but didn't really impress me as much as I thought it would. As a sample playback device it worked fine but is limited in memory. It seems like if you don't like the looks of a Nord either that this isn't a great fit for you.

If that synthesis feature is not important to you then you can do everything else the Nord Wave can do, better and cheaper with many workstation keyboards, my personal recommendation being the Alesis Fusion, but obviously the Korg Tritons with sampling options and similar workstations... Roland V-Synth would work too, as suggested, but may be overkill if all you want to do is play back your samples rather than use all its cool processing.
6th December 2012
Old 6th December 2012
Lives for gear

At least when I had it, the editor wouldn't allow me to put the notes where I wanted them and have them stretch around how I wanted them. So I didn't use it.

I enjoyed some of its built-in 'rompler' sounds.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search