First contact with this drum machine
New Reply
Subscribe
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

First contact with this drum machine

Used this drum machine 15 minutes made a techno loop and recored this, the live tweaking is really bad i was more concentrate on trying to remember what the knobs does

everyone say this machine sound is easy to spot so i guess you guys will know what machine it is

file name is cause i tried to re create oldschool sound with driving some analog equipment hard and trying to get a more dirty/lofi sound out of the box.

i wonder what you guys think about the sound? there is no fx ,no mixing
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Backin95.mp3 (2.77 MB, 311 views)
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

do you find it on par with a Tr ? better , worst? to me it's in the same league, i like as much
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Gear maniac

I say its a vermona drm 1. I like it but find it i bit "synthezied" for my taste.
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract View Post
Used this drum machine 15 minutes made a techno loop and recored this, the live tweaking is really bad i was more concentrate on trying to remember what the knobs does

everyone say this machine sound is easy to spot so i guess you guys will know what machine it is

file name is cause i tried to re create oldschool sound with driving some analog equipment hard and trying to get a more dirty/lofi sound out of the box.

i wonder what you guys think about the sound? there is no fx ,no mixing
I cant help but feel that something is not right with the kick? Could be a few DB to loud maybe.....but then again it may sit well once you start to add to it.
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
I cant help but feel that something is not right with the kick? Could be a few DB to loud maybe.....but then again it may sit well once you start to add to it.

yeah agree but i don't know what is not right.. when i made this i was thinking to add louder synthetic sound on top, dark athmosphere.. also ride cymbal.. snare ..maybe it would be ok with these to re balance.
its just a short test to see how it sound in music where 909 was king, it sound more polished and modern but it s not really a plus for me.
the avatange is that it's maybe more suited for today taste.. it's more "plastic"
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysplex View Post
I say its a vermona drm 1. I like it but find it i bit "synthezied" for my taste.

what do you mean with synthezied ? i think i hear what you mean but could you be more clear? it don't sound rough enough?
msl
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I like what you've done here!

Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by msl View Post
I like what you've done here!

thanks mate ! i have to say the machine really groove and breath. i got good loops 3 minutes after it was out of the box
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Tempest?
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
what do you mean with synthezied ? i think i hear what you mean but could you be more clear? it don't sound rough enough?
First things first i like your loop. I dont know if i can make myself clear but here it goes: with every synth with a self osc filter and a noise source you can make a kick, a snare and a hat. On the other hand some drumachines, while they have a engine (like a 909 kick) they sound more "drummier" for my taste. The most proper example i can give is with mfb drumachines. While i dont like the mfb schlagzwerg semimodular drumcomputer, i am a fool for the 522 , or the 503.
That said, your sound example is rough ,yeah
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Geariophile

I like what you did there too....only I really don't like how the bloody thing flams like a bastard all over the place. Please reveal. Want to put in the knowledge box which machine has a clock issue like that.
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumphh View Post
Tempest?
no its the vermona , it sound close to tempest?
the few demo i heard from tempest i haven t really enjoyed the sound
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Machinedrum?

EDIT: oh, it's the Vermona?
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I like what you did there too....only I really don't like how the bloody thing flams like a bastard all over the place. Please reveal. Want to put in the knowledge box which machine has a clock issue like that.
it s the vermona it's probably my midi as it don't have sequencer, really u find it s too much unstable?
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysplex View Post
First things first i like your loop. I dont know if i can make myself clear but here it goes: with every synth with a self osc filter and a noise source you can make a kick, a snare and a hat. On the other hand some drumachines, while they have a engine (like a 909 kick) they sound more "drummier" for my taste. The most proper example i can give is with mfb drumachines. While i dont like the mfb schlagzwerg semimodular drumcomputer, i am a fool for the 522 , or the 503.
That said, your sound example is rough ,yeah
yeah you find the drums sound too much coming out of a synth, true for me it s the same but on the plus side there is lot of parameter compared to usual drum machine to craft the sound on the vermona
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
Machinedrum?

EDIT: oh, it's the Vermona?
yes the mk3 but i tried to hide the caractere , i haven't used it since then, but it seems it s warm and modern .

i was after more rough oldschool sound , it s years i haven t used a drum machine it was feeling like when i was teen had so much fun ! so i went to try to recrate the sound of these days, primate ect...all in the red , more than 15 db of compression, fastest release.. but it s not lofi enough ,a drived old mackie would have worked better i guess or it s just the sound of the vermona that is too modern but i really like it !
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
it s the vermona it's probably my midi as it don't have sequencer, really u find it s too much unstable?
That'll be why it doesn't 'feel' like a drum machine then. Definitely the midi. All over the shop. Good sounds though!!
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That'll be why it doesn't 'feel' like a drum machine then. Definitely the midi. All over the shop. Good sounds though!!
true maybe i should have went with the one that work with trigger, i didn t think about timings but i will mostly sample it, i got it for a project.. but now i tweaked it i want to go back with a analog desk, 303 clone some cheap oldschool fx so much fun...
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
true maybe i should have went with the one that work with trigger, i didn t think about timings but i will mostly sample it, i got it for a project.. but now i want to go back with a analog desk, 303 clone some cheap oldschool fx so much fun...
Where is your midi coming from? I'd say that's your issue. I bet the thing sounds nice and tight if you run it from some hardware sequencer or atari.
Fred_Abstract
1st December 2012
Old 1st December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where is your midi coming from? I'd say that's your issue. I bet the thing sounds nice and tight if you run it from some hardware sequencer or atari.
it come from a macbook /logic 9 .

i have a usb midi cable with a midi chip that is supposed to be one with the less jitter, but not sure it work well... it s probably accentued with the osc phase that is very unstable on this kick i made and the compression timings that could have been better tweaked

i will try to sequence it via Ni maschine midi out to see if its better, it will be probably more fun too.

about the vermona, the clap synth is gold.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
. it s probably accentued with the osc phase that is very unstable on this kick i made .
That'll be part of the flam I'm hearing.
Fred_Abstract
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

made a new pattern to try to work on the sound caractere ,i get closer to the sound i m after , the loop is not as good as the first one it s more mental ,but sound caractere i find it really nice as its not mixed i m using the stereo out .

after re listening i find the sound is too conjested without enought separation , it don't sound otb enought.. maybe it s cause nothing is panned / mixed but i think not using the individual outs and a desk is a other reason and maybe i compress too much

With a bit more use i enjoy the vermona more and more ,i find it s a really good one for the price ,highly recomended ! it s a fun instrument to tweak live.
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 DRM DIRT.mp3 (1.01 MB, 85 views)
Fred_Abstract
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That'll be part of the flam I'm hearing.
yeah but now you mentioned it me too i hear it and it disturb me !
i uploaded a new loop with maschine sequencing and i think it s better but still not super tight?
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
yeah agree but i don't know what is not right.. when i made this i was thinking to add louder synthetic sound on top, dark athmosphere.. also ride cymbal.. snare ..maybe it would be ok with these to re balance.
its just a short test to see how it sound in music where 909 was king, it sound more polished and modern but it s not really a plus for me.
the avatange is that it's maybe more suited for today taste.. it's more "plastic"
it still sounds good
Sure it will most likely fit well in the mix once you have other elements sitting with it.
It is always better I find to have the kick just a little on top as you don't want it getting lost, know what I mean.
I knew it was not the Tempest but its weird I own the drum machine and could not pick it.
I agree with you it is cleaner then the 909, wouldn't say plastic. Just curious why don't you get the real 909? not that is matters in any way just want to know is all?

It is still a good drum machine, I like to combine mine with the MD and the Tempest, has a nice few sweet spots. I like the machine.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

is that compression that's squishing it so hard...? i'm in love with the way it sounds
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Gear maniac

Nice!
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

i've never paid much attention to the Vermonas, basically regarding them as better versions of the Simmons, Tama, etc drum brains of the 80s. based on these examples, i'm not quite thrilled. it sounds like the MD, in that it just can't get close enough to that perfect Roland 808/606 sound. closer to the CR-78, which is good, but not usually quite what you want. punchy kicks and toms, but everything else is pretty blehh.
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

I knew it was not the Tempest but its weird I own the drum machine and could not pick it.
probably cause i haven't used the pan and kept it mono, also cause i used just a few of the drums synths.

Quote:
agree with you it is cleaner then the 909, wouldn't say plastic. Just curious why don't you get the real 909? not that is matters in any way just want to know is all?
too expensive as i don't make much music at all lately, if i get more serious and comeback to a hardware based workflow that i think suit this music like a glove i will consider one and a 303 clone too.
a friend have a 909 their i sampled it even if it's not the same it s still not bad.

Quote:
It is still a good drum machine, I like to combine mine with the MD and the Tempest, has a nice few sweet spots. I like the machine.
yeah i like a lot already..it s so much faster than using sample or maschine to get a loop, it s a great instrument . for what sounds do you really like it/use it ?
Fred_Abstract
2nd December 2012
Old 2nd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wednesday View Post
is that compression that's squishing it so hard...? i'm in love with the way it sounds
yes totally for the squashing,17 db of compression in the first example and a bit less in the second around 12 db on distressor.
the gain reduction meter dictate the groove, fast release to get a bit of saturation, then i mix more or less the sound into the compressor,looking for a sweet spot with saturation and groove,it s was lot of fun.

glad you like it ,i was wondering if i have really bad taste haha, really happy some of you enjoy ,it motivate me for making some tunes.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search