Login / Register

Bass Bot TT303
New Reply
Subscribe
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

From what i have heard all the components in the TT-303 including the CPU are SMT, except for the BA6110 VCA chip which is commonly used in all x0xb0x's.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX View Post
If Roland sue them, it will soon become collector items.
Thats exactly what i started thinking...
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm X View Post
Thats exactly what i started thinking...
This is probably part of the "marketing plan", combined with the "sold out" messages...

3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Banned

main question is wether the sequencer is any good.. the auto pattern generator is targeting ,ore the fake music department..so i see the risk that you find the same crap as on other 303 clones on the sequencer side of things..
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

so it's not possible to enter pattern data in real time i take it?

like the quicksliver cpu mod, or a future retro revolution allows you to enter patterns as it's runnin, kinda' 606 style
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natefrogg View Post
so it's not possible to enter pattern data in real time i take it?

like the quicksliver cpu mod, or a future retro revolution allows you to enter patterns as it's runnin, kinda' 606 style
that´s what i expected.. theese nerds really dont get it what a 303 is made of.. the auto pattern generator was speaking loudly .."I cant write sequences"
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

actually you guys assume wrong...the pattern thing is an extra "feature" but the TT303 can operate identical to the TB sequencer. a bit better actually as you can set things like accent/slide in one pass. the arpeggio mode allows somewhat real time note playing but it's kind of gimmicky..
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
but the TT303 can operate identical to the TB sequencer. a bit better actually as you can set things like accent/slide in one pass.
Really, because you can do this on the original as well.

As for entering a sequence as it's running on TT-303, nope, you have to stop the sequencer first, enter your pattern and press start, like the original TB.
BM0
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
the xoxbox is absolute crap in relation to a real 303.. it sounds hard and the sequencer is a bad joke
Cool. I like the x0xb0x sound and sequencer. Mine really doesn't sound like a real 303 when I turn on the second VCO. TB-303 prices for the last 10 years are a bad joke.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
Cool. I like the x0xb0x sound and sequencer. Mine really doesn't sound like a real 303 when I turn on the second VCO. TB-303 prices for the last 10 years are a bad joke.
they are high.. but in relation to what you pay for the clones justified
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
TB-303 prices for the last 10 years are a bad joke.
Supply and demand determines that factor, also collectors.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

hey audio, what's up with the power supply stuff you talked about earlier... i heard the original TB power supply affects sound but always thought that was a myth.. can you expand on that please??
BM0
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
they are high.. but in relation to what you pay for the clones justified
In relation to what the clones cost, yes, they are high in my opinion. +$2000 for a TB-303 is collector's price. You can try to convince yourself otherwise, but anyone that thinks the synth power and sound of the TB-303 is worth +$2000, while the x0xb0x exists today as an alternative, is fooling themselves IMO. Not to mention that TB-303 are nearly 30 years old and prone to capacitor failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Supply and demand determines that factor, also collectors.
Understood. Still doesn't mean that they are worth the price for what it is and what alternatives are available. If I really wanted a TB-303 bad enough, I would get one. For me though, the sound has been played out since the mid-nineties. I still like the 303 acid sound and that is why I got a x0xb0x, but I also got the second VCO, and gate switch so I could also get some nice pads out of it.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

^ dude it's just like anything vintage... today you have Acid Lab Miami, Prophet 08, Minimoog Voyager etc etc.. some people still prefer the originals, something about that sound, the interface and even rudimentary sync options. of course there is the collector aspect. pre-CBS strats go for dozen grand, a 1954 fetches $100K, yet you can still buy a new made in USA from fender in any guitar shop...

as for the sound being played out and the synth being limited, that is subjective.. trance kind of killed it for a while but the chicago jack sound is actually making a huge come back in house these days. i personally find the 303 an extremely creative and inspiring tool, bass lines being the fundamental part of dance music with the drums, and no machine does it better then a 303.. it really sounds alive and the groove is just killer. this new clone brings you a step closer to the real thing but still nothing can touch the OG imo..
BM0
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
^ dude it's just like anything vintage... today you have Acid Lab Miami, Prophet 08, Minimoog Voyager etc etc.. some people still prefer the originals, something about that sound, the interface and even rudimentary sync options. of course there is the collector aspect. pre-CBS strats go for dozen grand, a 1954 fetches $100K, yet you can still buy a new made in USA from fender in any guitar shop...

as for the sound being played out and the synth being limited, that is subjective.. trance kind of killed it for a while but the chicago jack sound is actually making a huge come back in house these days. i personally find the 303 an extremely creative and inspiring tool, bass lines being the fundamental part of dance music with the drums, and no machine does it better then a 303.. it really sounds alive and the groove is just killer. this new clone brings you a step closer to the real thing but still nothing can touch the OG imo..
I agree about the Acid Lab Miami, and I tell people to just get one of those if they want TR-808 for a reasonable price. I disagree about Prophet 08 and Minimoog Voyager. They are not clones and they were not intended to be clones.

I agree that 303 is a creative and inspiring tool. That is why I got a x0xb0x. It works the same way as a TB-303.

Trance didn't kill the 303 sound. The thousands of mid-nineties acid techno/house tracks killed it. It was basically a 303-fest of Hardfloor/Freddy Fresh-like acid tracks up into the mid-nineties.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I agree about the Acid Lab Miami, and I tell people to just get one of those if they want TR-808 for a reasonable price. I disagree about Prophet 08 and Minimoog Voyager. They are not clones and they were not intended to be clones.
you may be right about the P08 but the Voyager has almost the same exact layout and synth architecture as the original not to mention it's named minimoog. wether it sounds identical to a model D is a whole other debate.. regardless my point was that there are modern alternatives to many old classics wether synth, guitars, drum machines, samplers (MPC) yet still quite a few people prefer the originals for whatever reason despite their many limitations..

Quote:
I agree that 303 is a creative and inspiring tool. That is why I got a x0xb0x. It works the same way as a TB-303.
good for you.. i still prefer the original 303, the sequencer is a bit different and it has this liquid organic texture i find missing from the x0xb0x... same with acidlab miami it sounds a little lifeless to me and misses a couple vital features..

Quote:
Trance didn't kill the 303 sound. The thousands of mid-nineties acid techno/house tracks killed it. It was basically a 303-fest of Hardfloor/Freddy Fresh-like acid tracks up into the mid-nineties.
whatever. dance music is cyclic, things get overkilled, then 15-20 years later become cool again.. there are also many ways to use the 303 in a non cliche way imo..
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Gear interested

anybody able to upload soundcloud demos ?
BM0
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
good for you..
Thanks. I've never been congratulated for buying a synth before.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Banned

Quote:
hey audio, what's up with the power supply stuff you talked about earlier... i heard the original TB power supply affects sound but always thought that was a myth.. can you expand on that please??
it has an iductor based DC/DC converter that effects especially the behaviour on accents and high resonance settings.. theese get smoother, more liquid , somehow compressed on the original 303..

a resistor in the powersupply of the clones to limit the current helps a liitle but is not dynamic behaving as on the real 303..

only a 303 is like a 303.. all clones fail soundwise and even more so in the sequencer department.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Banned

Quote:
In relation to what the clones cost, yes, they are high in my opinion. +$2000 for a TB-303 is collector's price. You can try to convince yourself otherwise, but anyone that thinks the synth power and sound of the TB-303 is worth +$2000, while the x0xb0x exists today as an alternative, is fooling themselves IMO. Not to mention that TB-303 are nearly 30 years old and prone to capacitor failure.

Understood. Still doesn't mean that they are worth the price for what it is and what alternatives are available. If I really wanted a TB-303 bad enough, I would get one. For me though, the sound has been played out since the mid-nineties. I still like the 303 acid sound and that is why I got a x0xb0x, but I also got the second VCO, and gate switch so I could also get some nice pads out of it.

i ve a xoxbox. and its absolutely no alternative.. soundwise its harsh and the sequencer sucks big time.. its for ******s that dial in each step by try and error.. Just what the real 303 safes on time during one year will cover the price difference... in relation to the xoxbox you write light speed fast with a real 303... and with the quicksilver os it gets even better and has midi aswell.

i wouldnt pay more than 1500.-$ for a 303 .. i agree that 2000.- is too much
BM0
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
i ve a xoxbox. and its absolutely no alternative.. soundwise its harsh and the sequencer sucks big time.. its for ******s that dial in each step by try and error..
I don't know you mean by this. I don't "dial in each step by try and error". I understand just fine how the sequencer works. It is pretty obvious that the buttons represent an octave of keys, C-C, and you simply hit next and back to move through the pattern as you enter in notes.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

blahdunno - I have to agree that acid trance killed the 303.

I got into techno around 95 .. and I couldn't stand that stuff.. but people a couple years older loved it. In the later 90's they become the kinda guys with Bjork posters on their walls.. listening to Everything But the Girl while working at home on their computer.
3rd December 2012
Old 3rd December 2012
Lives for gear

fr revolution sequencer is pain to enter into, xox and real 303 are way quicker, fr at least lets you edit running patterns which is the sequencer's saving grace imho
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Gear maniac

I once owned a cardboard cutout TB303 that came with an "Acid Junkies" EP.
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EofN View Post
I once owned a cardboard cutout TB303 that came with an "Acid Junkies" EP.
How was the sequencer on that?
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to alexp
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
how would you know? ffs....
Quite simply.

I listen.

It sounds nothing like a 303. Its made by a guy that butchers xoxbox kits. Its a fashion accessory. You gonna put it on a chain around your neck?

Its a huge cash in. Kudos to the guys that made it though, it seems the sheep are truly in flocking formation on this one. And I thought the Jupiter 80 people were bad.

Well enjoy your tt twiddling. Hah.

alexP
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to alexp
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Reynolds View Post
How was the sequencer on that?

Probably a bit stiff.

Ba dum ching. (sorry I couldnt resist!)

alexP
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp View Post
Quite simply.

I listen.

It sounds nothing like a 303. Its made by a guy that butchers xoxbox kits. Its a fashion accessory. You gonna put it on a chain around your neck?

Its a huge cash in. Kudos to the guys that made it though, it seems the sheep are truly in flocking formation on this one. And I thought the Jupiter 80 people were bad.
i don't think you have any idea of what you're talking about (even worse - you might know a little of what you're saying and make assumptions based on this), spewing inane bullshit as usual. i'd be inclined to listen to those who have actually used the thing, who it seems are actually impressed with it overall.

[EDIT: my main gripe here is the "It sounds nothing like a 303." it obviously sounds quite a f'ing bit like a 303. people around here really need to get a grip on how they use the terms "sounds nothing like", etc... wtf?]

i couldn't care less either way, if i wanted a 303 i'd buy a real one. i do see this clone as a good thing though...
4th December 2012
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
it already sounds harsh on the youtube clip.. new oberheim sem versus old one.. the components in the 303 that are responsible for the sweet resonance are expensive and not available anymore.. a xox box with same circuit and components except this few mentioned one in the powersupply sounds totally different..

when you rebuild the original power supply from vintage parts it still sounds different because the board layout is different...

sorry.. after so many experiments i have done to make a xoxbox sound like a 303...

i ve an educated opinion that ist unlikely that they got it.. and the youtube video seems to support that "theory".

<deleted by moderator - no flamewar please?!>

How about we post blind smaples of each and see if you can reliably and consistently tell the difference between the two. Hey?

I own a TB303 and it's surely worth $600 bucks for me to buy ones of these TT303 things to shut you up.

You up for the challenge?
If you lose, will you ACTUALLY admit you;re just a blowhard for once?

If you CAN actually tell the difference, I'll sell that TT in a split second and apologize to you... until then

-a

Last edited by Reptil; 7th December 2012 at 12:27 AM.. Reason: 222222
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search