My ensoniq dp4 karked replaced with Lexi mx200
cixelsyd
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

My ensoniq dp4 karked replaced with Lexi mx200

Hi all

I've gone through several dp4s in my life. I love the verb and delays. Anyway I had another dp4 fail on me and hastily bought 2 Lexi mx200s to replace it. I didn't have a chance to check it out first hand and the YouTube vids weren't much help. Am I going to be disappointed. One thing is I'm buying new so no more breath holding when iturn on the unit waiting for it to fail. I love ensoniq but geez they weren't built to last.
cixelsyd
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

If you have got 2 of the Ensoniq DP4 Units. I"m pretty sure any tech could make Frankensoniq DP4 for you (As long as the units don't have the same critical fault in each unit) 2 x.....MX200's ohhh...that's a very cold wind indeed!
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastByte View Post
If you have got 2 of the Ensoniq DP4 Units. I"m pretty sure any tech could make Frankensoniq DP4 for you (As long as the units don't have the same critical fault in each unit) 2 x.....MX200's ohhh...that's a very cold wind indeed!
Frankensoniq !
Classic !
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

bad move
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

The delays in the Dp4 are bouncy and blend in with the sound. Verbs have their own character but again imho they blend in. Essentially the DP4 has a lot of character. The lexicon - never liked any of them I tried but you may be different.

Dp4s were made pretty good but they are getting on a bit these days. I think you have been a bit unlucky with those ones that have gone to DP4 heaven
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

my dp4+ died, my tech took a look, but half the circuit boards are surface mount so he couldn't do much with it in terms of diagnosis. He did rule it down to a fault on the digital board, but without an easy way to add/remove parts for diagnosis, that was as far as he got.

The dp4 has all through-hole boards, it should be a lot easier to repair than the plus model.
cixelsyd
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
my dp4+ died, my tech took a look, but half the circuit boards are surface mount so he couldn't do much with it in terms of diagnosis. He did rule it down to a fault on the digital board, but without an easy way to add/remove parts for diagnosis, that was as far as he got.

The dp4 has all through-hole boards, it should be a lot easier to repair than the plus model.
Mine was the plus model. Thanks for the responses. They should arrive today. I'm expecting the Lexi's will be brighter than the DP4 and less grainy. My wife get's back from India today so my secondary dilemma is do I spend time with her or do I try out the new Lexi's?

Hmmmm
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Mine was the plus model. Thanks for the responses. They should arrive today. I'm expecting the Lexi's will be brighter than the DP4 and less grainy. My wife get's back from India today so my secondary dilemma is do I spend time with her or do I try out the new Lexi's?

Hmmmm
I know what I'd do and it wouldn't end well
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure if the Lexicon Dattorro Algo's are in DP4 or DP4+ (Both perhaps?) though if they are in the DP4 I'm sure they allow more control & a more articulated Verb/Fx Scenario then the MX Lexicon series which I've found limited to say the least, for live sound, they are probably just the ticket, I.E quick control & dial in/out controlled Presets needed for Live Sound - Though Studio work? Hmmm, I think I'd perhaps be looking for something with a touch more user control, depth & density! Again, just my humble opinion. Certainly 2 x MX200's chained in parallel might give just enough Oomph Required to get going!

Often Reverb is just Reverb!
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

i would honestly send those lexicon units back ASAP...i am sorry to be a downer but they really suck.

Cheap FX units that are way better:
DP4
DP2
DP Pro
PCM60
Kurzweil Rumor
Lexicon LXP-15 II
Lexicon MPX-1
All the old Sony units

Lots of plugins are better too...
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
i would honestly send those lexicon units back ASAP...i am sorry to be a downer but they really suck.

DP4
DP2
DP Pro
PCM60
Kurzweil Rumor
Lexicon LXP-15 II
Lexicon MPX-1
All the old Sony units

Lots of plugins are better too...
I Really DID NOT WANT TO SAY THAT though I have to Agree with Mike 100% both those units will last you around 3 hours and you'll outgrow them in a "Flash" considering you've been using a DP4+, Mikes made suggestions, personally I'd swing onto evil pay and pick up a PCM-80/81 then you have Effects and Great Reverb covered 100% Italo (From Eventide fame - see his website Italo de Angelis) creates some beautiful 224XL sounding reverbs with the massive modulation from the PCM-80/81's and you certainly wont outgrow this puppy in that 4 years it might take to do the most kooky routings - Plenty of room to grow!

Sorry for the Brutal honesty!
cixelsyd
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry for the Brutal honesty!
No need to apologise, I requested the feedback. I appreciate the truthful answers. Gonna use my ears once they arrive. Thanks for the perspectives.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

something that would help this thread a lot is a price-point. of course the PCM 81 is great...i figured you were trying to stay cheap.

for the 600-1000 mark you have:
Lexicon PCM60/70/80-1/90-1
eventide H3000
Yamaha Rev 5/7
Yamaha SPX2000

also this is one of the best and has multiple I/O like the DP4

Roland R-880 R880 Reverb w/ GC-8 GC8 Remote! 220V / 240V VERSION! | eBay
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

fwiw when my DP4+ died, I ended up buying a Lexicon PCM70, which I do enjoy, but I still miss the DP4. I will end up buying the non-plus unit again. I already had a non-plus which I had sold for the plus model, and I really never used the extra features so it made no difference to me....anyhow seems like the regular dp4 is more repairable for the long-term than the plus model, so if you do still end up wanting a ensoniq unit after all is said and done, you know which one to get.

eventide h3000 is another one on my short-list too. though I think i really need a tape echo next.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

I bought my dp/4 in 1998 and I've only ever had a tech clean the pots. Interesting to hear about the + models dropping at such a rate.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear maniac

What about a v-verb? I bought one for $60 and another for $80 on ebay and craigs, i think they sound lovely.
cixelsyd
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
I bought my dp/4 in 1998 and I've only ever had a tech clean the pots. Interesting to hear about the + models dropping at such a rate.
I've had a total of 3 and all 3 have died. My local tech won't even look at them anymore. I guess it's like having a relationship with a beautiful woman where you know it won't last. I enjoyed it while it was there, but I'm letting go and moving on now. I still have my h3000.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've had a total of 3 and all 3 have died. My local tech won't even look at them anymore. I guess it's like having a relationship with a beautiful woman where you know it won't last. I enjoyed it while it was there, but I'm letting go and moving on now. I still have my h3000.
But the dp/4+ is the one you had yeah? I wonder if the move to smt make them more prone to earlier death.
cixelsyd
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
But the dp/4+ is the one you had yeah? I wonder if the move to smt make them more prone to earlier death.
Yup, all we're the +
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

All the old Sony units

I picked up a Sony R7 a few months ago and it's the best effects device I have hands down. It just has a warmth and depth to it, difficult to describe.

I really want to get a DP4 as well.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebulaZero View Post
What about a v-verb? I bought one for $60 and another for $80 on ebay and craigs, i think they sound lovely.
Erm.....Does one have to be brutally honest again?
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Erm.....Does one have to be brutally honest again?
What do you mean?

Neb
cixelsyd
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
something that would help this thread a lot is a price-point. of course the PCM 81 is great...i figured you were trying to stay cheap.

for the 600-1000 mark you have:
Lexicon PCM60/70/80-1/90-1
eventide H3000
Yamaha Rev 5/7
Yamaha SPX2000

also this is one of the best and has multiple I/O like the DP4

Roland R-880 R880 Reverb w/ GC-8 GC8 Remote! 220V / 240V VERSION! | eBay
Nice recommendations Mike. I've got the H3000. I looked at the spx2000 and nearly got that. I think I wimped out (cheaped out) on the price. Have you used the SPX2000? I hear the reverb on it is stunning on vocals.
23rd November 2012
Old 23rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NebulaZero View Post
What do you mean?

Neb
I apologize, that was a little joke, regarding a post a few above yours, if you dig the V-verb and get 100% out of those unit's, great! I've heard some of their Algo's and emulations of Algo's myself.......and for the price, well, you can't buy Rack ears for that kind of money! so yeah, sure the B-v Verb's can do great Verb's.
Apologies again if you took offence - non meant at all!
Cheers
TLB.
25th November 2012
Old 25th November 2012
Gear maniac

No offense at all i just didnt understand
Ive had gas for a dp4 myself, its good to know not to get the plus version.

N
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi all

I've gone through several dp4s in my life. I love the verb and delays. Anyway I had another dp4 fail on me and hastily bought 2 Lexi mx200s to replace it. I didn't have a chance to check it out first hand and the YouTube vids weren't much help. Am I going to be disappointed. One thing is I'm buying new so no more breath holding when iturn on the unit waiting for it to fail. I love ensoniq but geez they weren't built to last.
Well.........Guess we're all awaiting on you MX200 verdict, have you had a chance to really dig into them, and what do you think? 1-10 score would be interesting, more so DP4/+ Vs. MX200's
Hope it's going well!
Oli
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
my dp4+ died, my tech took a look, but half the circuit boards are surface mount so he couldn't do much with it in terms of diagnosis.
Try a different tech. I worked on smt for years, and mostly find it much easier, cheaper, and faster, and less error prone, to work with than through hole. Really large chips can be an issue, as can BGAs. It can be tricky to temporarily swap them out, without overheating the chips. BGAs are just generally not so easy for hand tools. I have reflowed them successfully though. Chips under ~60 pins are often much easer to handle in SMT, and less likely to cause damage. You have to have the right tools, and a little experience. Tools are not expensive any more. Some techs just haven't kept up.
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

I've two had to DP/4 Pluses die on me.

I think the original DP4 sounds better to me anyway.
27th November 2012
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Stout View Post
I've two had to DP/4 Pluses die on me.

I think the original DP4 sounds better to me anyway.
There is something special about it. Crusty but warm - if that makes any sense.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search