KiwiTechnics Patch Editor should I get one?
herokiller
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

KiwiTechnics Patch Editor should I get one?

For the first time ever I´m pretty happy with my synth gear, I guess I finally figured out what works for me. I have a couple of mono synths that are a joy to program. Then I have my Matrix 1000 and Microwave...

I don´t really mind using computer editors to make patches from scratch, but sometimes if I just want to tweak an envelope or introduce an LFO, it can kind of get a bit dispiriting messing around on the laptop.

I guess what I´m wondering is, do the people that have the Kiwi Editor find it useful, or does the novelty wear off pretty quick and do you find yourself going back to software editors?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

get one.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by herokiller View Post
I guess what I´m wondering is, do the people that have the Kiwi Editor find it useful, or does the novelty wear off pretty quick and do you find yourself going back to software editors?
I would never go back to a software editor when I have a hardware editor in front of me. I use the Kiwi with the Matrix 1000 myself..
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

I have a Novation Remote SL I that I use for both of those synths. Any hardware editor is going to be a game changer. The downside is that I haven't found a way to edit matrix settings remotely on the M6r...not a huge issue. The character display limit on the Novation can be cryptic... However I programmed my Matrix 6 template so that it displays the exact same info on both the M6r and the Remote as I'm working - that really helps.

I wish the Microwave would display the parameter that's being edited. That synth is complicated enough that it helps to have some kind of visual representation of the parameters in front of you just to remember all of the options.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

I recommend it without reservation. I sold my PG-800 and bought a Kiwi Patch Editor for the same price -- no brainer. A few pluses that you find after using it in person:

1) The Kiwi is well-built (heavy metal case) with solid sliders and buttons
2) The sliders have bright LED indicators and the buttons are backlit so it's easy to use in the dark
3) When you switch between synth programming templates, only the controls that apply to the chosen synth light up. For example, if the given synth has no chorus feature, that are of the panel is dark and the controls are disabled. It makes each template fit like a glove.
4) When you change values (move sliders, select buttons, etc.) the values display on the LCD screen in the correct range for each control
5) Murray, the guy who owns and runs Kiwi Technics, is a great and he supports his gear well
6) Additional synth templates continue to come out and the software is fairly easy to upgrade (MIDI sysex data file)

Warning: once you buy a Patch Editor, you will find yourself eyeballing synths that you might not otherwise purchase because they're not fun to program without the Kiwi. For example, after I realized how much I dug the Patch Editor, I picked up an MKS-50 and a DW-8000, both synths I would have avoided before because I don't do "faceplate editing" any more.

I tried editing synths with two different generic hardware controllers before changing to the Kiwi and there's no looking back for me. Just buy one. And note that they don't come with a power supply, so you'll need to buy one separately (the power supply requirements are on the Kiwi website).

-Synth80s
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Use one on my jx8p, and is awesome. Looks wicked in the dark too!!
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth80s View Post
I recommend it without reservation. I sold my PG-800 and bought a Kiwi Patch Editor for the same price -- no brainer. A few pluses that you find after using it in person:

1) The Kiwi is well-built (heavy metal case) with solid sliders and buttons
2) The sliders have bright LED indicators and the buttons are backlit so it's easy to use in the dark
3) When you switch between synth programming templates, only the controls that apply to the chosen synth light up. For example, if the given synth has no chorus feature, that are of the panel is dark and the controls are disabled. It makes each template fit like a glove.
4) When you change values (move sliders, select buttons, etc.) the values display on the LCD screen in the correct range for each control
5) Murray, the guy who owns and runs Kiwi Technics, is a great and he supports his gear well
6) Additional synth templates continue to come out and the software is fairly easy to upgrade (MIDI sysex data file)

Warning: once you buy a Patch Editor, you will find yourself eyeballing synths that you might not otherwise purchase because they're not fun to program without the Kiwi. For example, after I realized how much I dug the Patch Editor, I picked up an MKS-50 and a DW-8000, both synths I would have avoided before because I don't do "faceplate editing" any more.

I tried editing synths with two different generic hardware controllers before changing to the Kiwi and there's no looking back for me. Just buy one. And note that they don't come with a power supply, so you'll need to buy one separately (the power supply requirements are on the Kiwi website).

-Synth80s
^^^^
This.
herokiller
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Thanks for all the replies.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

So with a synth like the MKS-80, where there are obviously more sliders than the patch editor has. How does the patch editor handle that?
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForWerd View Post
So with a synth like the MKS-80, where there are obviously more sliders than the patch editor has. How does the patch editor handle that?
with a Page 2 of functions.
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubnspace View Post
with a Page 2 of functions.
Thanks much
21st November 2012
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

I also recommend the Kiwitech Patch Editor without question. For what seems to be the typical price nowadays for any of the Roland PG family (yes, even the lowly PG-200) the patch editor is a terrific bargain.

My only wish would be either an SDK or a PC editor to let you roll your own synth profiles. That is the only thing I miss having with the old Kenton Control Freak.

Having the controls light up and the ability to control the brightness of said controls is a godsend for live gigs. The only thing worse than not being able to see your synth controls in a dark room is having ultra bright LED's that you can't turn off or turn down.

Q: for anyone using the Patch Editor with the Matrix 1000, are you able to tweak in real time? The Kiwitech page is kind of vague about this.
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for acid

Yes! If you have 2 or more of the synths it support it is a no brainer. Quality box!
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post

My only wish would be either an SDK or a PC editor to let you roll your own synth profiles.
I'd love that. Would be great to be able to control soft synths with it too.
22nd November 2012
Old 22nd November 2012
Lives for gear

If anyone has an IPAD the Lemur APP is a total and utter no-brainer. I;m just using the premade patches but there are patches to control pretty much any synth or softsynth or you can and are encouraged to roll your own and then share them with the community. Its very reaktor like but its physics engine is where it goes into the stratosphere. Should be able to perform your tasks pretty easy or there will surely be an app that will. One of the few things that make the IPAD is nearly unbeatable.
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm looking for a solution to edit patches and do live tweaking on three rack units- MKS-7, MKS-50, and MKS-70.

The manual seems a little out of date (and a little light on info), so I'm curious. With the CC support the Patch Editor has, am I right in understanding that you can use this to automate live-tweaking of patches on synths (for example, adusting VCF cutoff) in recorded DAW projects?

And if so, is it possible for the Patch Editor to do this on multiple instruments at the same time? (Route automation to different MIDI channels on the fly.)

I have some projects planned using all those units together. If I can only control one at a time, I can just record each synth part to audio as needed. Just trying to figure out my options.
26th November 2012
Old 26th November 2012
Gear nut

what about synth chaining or when you run the midi out the a mpc and use the thru of it ?! no problems? or does it only work with a synth at a time?
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

the best place for really detailed questions about the Kiwitechnics editor is

The kiwitecnhics Yahoo Group. Murray hangs out there and answers a lot of questions.
BM0
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateOutsider View Post
And if so, is it possible for the Patch Editor to do this on multiple instruments at the same time? (Route automation to different MIDI channels on the fly.)

I have some projects planned using all those units together. If I can only control one at a time, I can just record each synth part to audio as needed. Just trying to figure out my options.
Quote:
Originally Posted by joostoftoday View Post
what about synth chaining or when you run the midi out the a mpc and use the thru of it ?! no problems? or does it only work with a synth at a time?
The Patch Editor doesn't have multiple MIDI outputs and MIDI THRU is not the same as MIDI OUT. So if you have the Patch Editor connected to several devices at once, you have to change the MIDI OUT channel as well as the Patch Editor Synthesizer type (template) to edit another synth. This is done through the display menu. For example, you have Oberheim Matrix 1000 on MIDI Channel 1 and Roland Juno 106 on MIDI channel 2, you would go into the Patch Editor menu and select MIDI OUT channel 1 and set the Synth type to Matrix1000 to edit the Matrix 1000. To edit the Juno 106, you would then have to change the MIDI OUT channel to 2 and change the Synth type to Juno 106. Supposedly after you set the MIDI channel for the Synthesizer type, the Patch Editor stores the channel into memory, so all you need to do to edit a different instrument is change the Synthesizer type.
30th November 2012
Old 30th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BM0 View Post
So if you have the Patch Editor connected to several devices at once, you have to change the MIDI OUT channel as well as the Patch Editor Synthesizer type (template) to edit another synth. This is done through the display menu. For example, you have Oberheim Matrix 1000 on MIDI Channel 1 and Roland Juno 106 on MIDI channel 2, you would go into the Patch Editor menu and select MIDI OUT channel 1 and set the Synth type to Matrix1000 to edit the Matrix 1000. To edit the Juno 106, you would then have to change the MIDI OUT channel to 2 and change the Synth type to Juno 106.
I understand. I think my ultimate goal is to be able to automate these rack units the same way I would a VST and I was hoping the Kiwi's CC support would be a way to do that, but it's sounding like it's not (at least for multiple instruments at the same time).

I may still get one eventually for actual patch programming, though, because I like its standardized interface a lot better than the various software editors I've been looking at.
4th February 2013
Old 4th February 2013
Lives for acid

Just dropped it off the back of my keyboard stand. It's fine. Built like a tank!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search