What goes with a JX-8P?
Old 19th November 2012
Gear maniac

What goes with a JX-8P?

Besides a chainsaw? Actually I really like mine, it seems to be the least popular Roland DCO synth, I got it as a cheap midi controller (not great but OK) with a bonus synth. I know what it does and stuff, also wouldn't mind a PG800 or Kiwi Technics, etc.

Thinking of something new. Minibrute if I could get my hands on one. Prob a DSI synth, I really like the sound of the Mopho and have been really interested in the Evolver for awhile. The new Elektron looks and sounds great and would prob be the upper end of my pricerange (as an idea of that).

Vintage stuff is good too. I really like/want a JX-3P or Junos, Alphas but will hold off on getting more Roland DCO's for now.

I guess I like analog or (interesting) digital. Not strictly hardware, so considering Maschine + Massive.

The only other things I have are a Monotribe plus a DW8000 (in storage) and some Casios. I've been mainly using softsynths for a long time.

My music is idm-y, experimental-y, ambienty with some dubstep or tuneful synthpop bits.
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

a perm hair-do...shoulder pads, lip gloss and 4 cans of extra strength hairspray.
Old 19th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead View Post
a perm hair-do...shoulder pads, lip gloss and 4 cans of extra strength hairspray.
derp
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

a prophet 08 would compliment a JX-8P nicely.
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

I think the best Roland combo is the Jupiter-6 and the JX-8P. Won't miss the JP8 in that constellation.

Anyway, I would mix it with something fast and snappy, maybe different filter and analog oscillators too. Like a Chroma Polaris. If you want to go virtual, a NL2 would be my choice in combination with the 8P.
Old 19th November 2012
Gear maniac

good suggestions...

ah, I like the NL2!
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Well, this is my opinion based on my current rig. If I were looking at what appears to be the top of your approximate price range, I would go for a Mopho keys and Blofeld desktop.

If you have cash in hand, there's a company called Corner Music that advertises new Blofelds on ebay for like $499 (none up at the moment but it's $200 less than just about everyone else). You could always do payments with the likes of Sweetwater, Zzounds or American Musical. They let you "Pay as you play". That's how I got most of my rig.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear maniac

hm, I think I would like Blofeld. thx

Was thinking about getting Largo since its all digital anyway and its cheaper but not sure of the differences between Largo and Blofeld.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilita View Post
hm, I think I would like Blofeld. thx

Was thinking about getting Largo since its all digital anyway and its cheaper but not sure of the differences between Largo and Blofeld.
I had Largo initially and fell in love with the sound but for some reason, on my 2011 Macbook Pro, the graphic elements of the UI are really slow. I ended up buying the Blofeld out of that frustration. I think the primary differences in what the 2 offer is that Largo offers more effects (and I think better) and has sub-oscillators. Blofeld offers user loaded samples, the PPG style filter. They are really similar in sound outside of that.
Old 20th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gruvsyco View Post
I had Largo initially and fell in love with the sound but for some reason, on my 2011 Macbook Pro, the graphic elements of the UI are really slow. I ended up buying the Blofeld out of that frustration. I think the primary differences in what the 2 offer is that Largo offers more effects (and I think better) and has sub-oscillators. Blofeld offers user loaded samples, the PPG style filter. They are really similar in sound outside of that.
hm... not sure now... effects+suboscs or samples+PPG Filter?... Blofeld does seem to have the edge though. Also my PC is a good bit older than your Mac so that is a worry.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

How about something like a 1973 Rhodes Mark 1? Goes really well with any polysynth
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

JX-8P is soft and slow. Best to pair it up, in my opinion, with something sharp and fast. Plays very nice with Juno 60, but you say you don't want more Roland DCO (fair enough). Also plays nice with a Pro-One; if that's out of budget, you could consider a newer Moog.
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa View Post
JX-8P is soft and slow. Best to pair it up, in my opinion, with something sharp and fast. Plays very nice with Juno 60, but you say you don't want more Roland DCO (fair enough). Also plays nice with a Pro-One; if that's out of budget, you could consider a newer Moog.
Or a MophoKeys... nice and snappy... and the OP already says he likes the Mopho sound, so why not just go ahead and do it!
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

ChristianRock is bang on the money with this one get a mopho, also, maybe pick up a dirt cheap FM synth like the TX81z, TG33 etc etc, you could cover alot of stuff with those 3 synths
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear

yea mopho keys would be very nice (as would the prophet I suggested) and would match it nicely too in a way color wise.
Old 21st November 2012
Gear maniac

thx, anything DSI is on my list, so is the Pro One. I played with the Mopho keys in the store and I really liked it more than anything else I've been introduced to that way.

I like the Moog LP/SP and Minitaur too, they're nice.

I'd prob get a Juno (or a 101) maybe if I found one at a non-crazy price but I don't really want one right away.

Already looking out for cheap FM synths, I have a DSR-2000 which needs fixing and programming is very limited but it's capable of cool stuff.
Old 21st November 2012
Lives for gear
a hammer
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search