Login / Register

Do people buy vontage analog to use or just as an investment? Wasp is $1778 on ebay
New Reply
Subscribe
messiaen
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
messiaen

Do people buy vontage analog to use or just as an investment? Wasp is $1778 on ebay

I just wondered whether some people are just buying analog synths now as collectors items and mothballing them to see how much they go up in value?

There's a wasp going on ebay at the moment which is up to $1770, and I doubt whether it does anything so unique that its 'worth' that, but as a rarity and too a collector it probably is

people collect book they don't read, records they dare not play, doe you think its going to be the same for synths, just being bought and sold as collectors items?

At some of these prices you would think its heading that way?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

have you ever used a wasp? it's definitely a unique synth, one of my favorites

whether it's worth $1700, or whether that one auction globally defines the price of a wasp, that's another story. I don't really think any one auction means anything. Maybe just an overly enthusiastic bidder.

I can't remember exactly what I paid for mine, something like $1100 I think?

I sort of doubt people are just buying synths and stockpiling them unless they're some kind of dealer. I've yet to meet one of these supposed 'collectors' who locks their synths up in a glass case and never uses them.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xero View Post
I've yet to meet one of these supposed 'collectors' who locks their synths up in a glass case and never uses them.
I am sure they exist, but they are not the ones who really drive the prices up. There are just not enough of them. Most buyers are still looking for something unique to add to their studio and their sound.

Pretty sure this thread will turn into a "anti collector" and "hating hipsters" love-fest fast...

Keep things simple: A can-opener lets you eat, not a microwave (Waldorf branded products excluded).
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

It is a toss up. I am a musician, not a collector, that being said as much as I want to build a modern modular now, I am asking myself about the depreciation of value over time compared to keeping it vintage.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

But yeah, crazy prices. ARP Odyssey MK I is all over the place price wise. There is one up on Ebay with a BIN of nearly 4,000, it is not a mint example either. I do think if people continue to sit on these synths at these prices they will drive the price up fast, look at the Xpander over the last year or so.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiaen View Post
I just wondered whether some people are just buying analog synths now as collectors items and mothballing them to see how much they go up in value?

There's a wasp going on ebay at the moment which is up to $1770, and I doubt whether it does anything so unique that its 'worth' that, but as a rarity and too a collector it probably is

people collect book they don't read, records they dare not play, doe you think its going to be the same for synths, just being bought and sold as collectors items?

People collect all sorts of things. Some collect stamps lol
Anyway my father is a collector of all this gear so yes people do buy gear and do not actually use it, so?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
messiaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTechno View Post
People collect all sorts of things. Some collect stamps lol
Anyway my father is a collector of all this gear so yes people do buy gear and do not actually use it, so?
oh yeah, its not a criticism, its just interesting to see how prices seem to be rocketing on certain items, I just wasn't sure whether it was because musicians wanted them to play and are competeing against each other or whether there was some other factor, like collectors.

The same things happened to guitars and basses etc, for instance there are plenty of fender strats on ebay over $20,000, I just think once something is worth that much, it becomes too expensive to use, in case of damage etc, I just wonder of the same will happen to synths?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

1700 a wasp?! lol to the max!

1100 even! way too high!

it's worth imho 400 at max! lol. Mine came with a Midi Converter, AND was used in a major industrial band...very famous little wasp that one. It was mint condition too. I think i paid 500? .. and then I thought it wasn't worth it ! ha...

Vintage is obscene now... : ) I love the sound, but the prices drove away "real " producers away from it, so now vintage kinda sounds like dated 90s music now...

The new analogs are great though, happy they're coming out. They might not give u that sound you're looking for from the old pieces, but they really are something to be enjoyed! and reveled in the new sounds that can be made by them...

I used ot love vintage more than anything, but nowadays, with these prices, people can keep it themselves...these prices are definitely collectors prices...and really aren't worth it in practical usage...

someone's going to really tell me a touch membrane synth with limited architecture is worth more than $500? Only if you're a collector, shit I dont even think it's worth more than 300!
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Man, I'd love a Wasp.
I have seen a few for sale, but all of them are too pricey for me.

I am happy that sample collections are getting pretty great and VI emulations are coming a long way.
I'd love to see a Wasp VI emulation, has anyone seen one?? (mac compatible)
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1rtynyc View Post
Man, I'd love a Wasp.
I have seen a few for sale, but all of them are too pricey for me.
I have an EDP Wasp, in the loft, lost and forgotten. (I know its up there somewhere) I'm being honest in saying I don't think its worth more than £50.

'Wasp' was an exact perfect name for it. A horrible buzzing un-musical tinny sounding toy that I really hated The build quality was borderline 'Blue Peter'.

Honestly ... $1770 for a Wasp?

Found old photo with it in :

'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
I have an EDP Wasp, in the loft, lost and forgotten. (I know its up there somewhere) I'm being honest in saying I don't think its worth more than £50.
I'll give you that in a heartbeat.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

people ask all kinds of outlandish prices on ebay so who knows
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

well, if people pay the prices...why not?

a grand is not the same for everyone, and in every situation. I sometimes go over my books and see "oh, there's a grand or two lying around" (a bit like the wasp for the poster before ;-).

If I don't "need" anything dreadfully, I then might spend it on something "stupid" like a wasp (haven't yet but was thinking about it...but my gut says 1000 is the limit).

Sometimes you hit gold with this. For me it was the TB 303, I just love that box (despite having great sounding xoxboxes with far more features). Is it worth 2kg? Well, probably not, but if it makes me happy ALL THE TIME I don't really care about the money (as long, and this is important: as long as it is money that I have already and that is not needed for daily life anywhere else). Other people go on holidays and spend that amount in a week or two... so it is also a bit about setting priorities.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

to the OP:

Some people buy to use. Some buy to collect. Some buy for both.

Need and value are relative, flexible, and fluid.

Powerman has spoken!
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

People get older, have money now, want to buy what they used to have or their musical heroes used as teenagers.

If you factor in inflation, used prices generally aren't that bad. There's not much reason a good instrument should go down in price just because it's old. Before they were undervalued!

I think that made it hard for modern gear to innovate because they had to compete with the low prices AND nostalgia of older gear. Now that prices are up, we're seeing more cool modern takes on synths.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Well I don't personally. I can't speak for anyone else. But my guess would be no. I'm sure that most owners are using their synths. Even if they aren't being used for music production they are being played and appreciated. Finding time to play them when you have a busy job is another matter!

It certainly doesn't hurt that they are holding their value and in some cases going up. But the boom in prices has kind of passed really and you generally pay market value for a vintage analog nowadays. Unless you come across an old lady who doesn't know how to use google!!...So if you are buying a vintage poly it would be for the sound more than anything else.

If we could all go back 20 years then I'm sure I speak for everyone in saying that I would fill up a few warehouse of these synths and sell them off one one by in 2012. Saving a healthy collection for myself of course!!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/beg...ep/id541654661

www.soundcloud.com/odey
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
oh yeah, its not a criticism, its just interesting to see how prices seem to be rocketing on certain items, I just wasn't sure whether it was because musicians wanted them to play and are competeing against each other or whether there was some other factor, like collectors.

The same things happened to guitars and basses etc, for instance there are plenty of fender strats on ebay over $20,000, I just think once something is worth that much, it becomes too expensive to use, in case of damage etc, I just wonder of the same will happen to synths?
You dont want to know what some one offered my pops the other day for the Roland Jupiter in amazing condition!
Ya damn right he aint selling it ill be mine oneday!
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

Thing about money is, they make more every day. Vintage synths? There are only so many that will every exist. I am sorta guilty at both? I am a bit of a horder of vintage synths...but I use them all, they don't sit behind glass. And I paid next to nothing for them, compared to eBay price. Investors aren't paying $1778 for a Wasp on eBay, they are finding the "deals". eBay is for people that want something real specific that they can't find, Craigslist is nice for people that aren't so choosey and can spot a deal. I definitely look at my vintage keys as investments, to an extent. I have repaired them and put very little money into them so they are worth exponentially more than I paid. They are also investments on the sounds and music I write in the future. But I am a player, I do not buy solely to collect..
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012
Lives for gear

I'm a little of both -- a user and a hoarder.

I have some synths that I use regularly and a couple that I don't. The ones I don't use end up being trade fodder for something I'm more likely to use. I don't necessarily set out to buy a vintage synth to use as a trade item. Sometimes a synth just doesn't grab me in the way I thought it would. I think of this as a process of refinement for my musical tastes and direction.

I always find trade deals to be easier. It allows me to connect with other gear heads who are interested in music, sound design, and electronics rather than someone who just wants cash to buy the latest game console or some weed. I've built many long lasting relationships and friendships from trading or lending synths, and that's worth way more to me than money.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search