Login / Register

Any VST That Automatically Lowers dB?
New Reply
Subscribe
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012

Any VST That Automatically Lowers dB?

Hey guys, I am currently doing a mashup between two already mastered tracks. The problem is there are parts where the two tracks are overlapping each other and obviously peak past 0 (since they're already at 0dB each to begin with). There are also parts where one of the tracks is playing by itself but since there are parts that I put filters on, it clips as well (the filter adds distortion and peaks it).

Is there a vst or something of that sort that can automatically detect how much the track is going 0dB at each individual point and lower the volume accordingly? I know this is similar to a limiter but a limiter would compress the peaks and I don't want to compress an already mastered track.

Thanks for your time.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Head

You could just do it with volume automation...

Sent from my HTC One X
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
digital ears love analog

Just lower the master volume?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

- 3dB on each track, no?
there are waves plugin with faders moving automatically.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012

Can't automate .18db curves in ms differentials...sorry i'm not a robot
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Gear addict

You could do this through "ducking" even down to a few ms. Just search 'ducking in ____' insert name of your host.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
You could do this through "ducking" even down to a few ms. Just search 'ducking in ____' insert name of your host.
Isn't ducking the same as sidechaining? What would I make the source?
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
digital ears love analog

It's different. When the amplitude reaches a certain threshold it lowers the volume. Pretty much how a compressor works.
Sampler: E-MU ESI-2000
fx: Filter Queen, Ibanez FL9, Rat 2,Boss PH-1R, Chorus, Wah, DigiTech MSP4, DL3 Delay, Alesis 3630
Daws: Reason 6.5, Cubase Studio 5
Software: Tracks 3, PPG Wave 2.V, Attack, D-Pole, Chipsounds, Synth Maker

http://rogue-ai.bandcamp.com/

https://soundcloud.com/rogue-ai/music-of-the-mind-of-the-soul
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

i make a lot of "mixtapes" in pro tools which pretty much is the same concept/technique as what you are doing, and i must say i have become a master at this. I know of the exact issue you describe and I deal with it all the time.

I simply use a limiter and it always sounds great. Just make it so the 2 tracks are like .1 away from hitting the limiter when not overlapping...then when they do overlap, the GR is minimal, like 2 DB. use a transparent limiter. i like the stock digidesign Maxim.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
i make a lot of "mixtapes" in pro tools which pretty much is the same concept/technique as what you are doing, and i must say i have become a master at this. I know of the exact issue you describe and I deal with it all the time.

I simply use a limiter and it always sounds great. Just make it so the 2 tracks are like .1 away from hitting the limiter when not overlapping...then when they do overlap, the GR is minimal, like 2 DB. use a transparent limiter. i like the stock digidesign Maxim.
Yea that's what I currently do but was wondering if there was a way of not having to compress anything. I guess it really doesn't matter much. Is fabfilter Pro-L a transparent limiter? It's the only one I own
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
Yea that's what I currently do but was wondering if there was a way of not having to compress anything. I guess it really doesn't matter much. Is fabfilter Pro-L a transparent limiter? It's the only one I own
Just turn down the master channel a bit.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue Ai View Post
Just turn down the master channel a bit.
not going to turn down an entire track 3dB just for 2 seconds of clipping
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

So you want to compress without compressing, automate without automating, and turn down the volume without having to turn down the volume, got it. Good luck with your mixing career. PM me for some Super Amazing Deluxe Brand Pixie Dust that will magically do what yo're looking for.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
digital ears love analog

Quote:
No one is going to care if it is a little quieter. It's a mixtape correct? There is no need to compete with other tracks then. The reason it is clipping is because the tracks have no headroom.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

use a limiter on your master channel, it's their entire purpose in life; job done and get back to making mixtapes.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just put something like an L1 across your master fader. Set the output level of the L1 to -0.1 db and your material will never go above 0.

If there's only a second or two of clipping in your material, you can just set the threshold so it only kicks in on those few parts and you can just sit back and not worry about any clipping on your master fader.
19th November 2012
Old 19th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You already have the best tool you can use...a limiter. The FabFilter Pro-L is totally great and will do what you want. You can adjust how it deals with the peak limiting. I think you should take a look at the reference material for this. You spent a bunch of money on it so it makes sense to use it.
20th November 2012
Old 20th November 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
You already have the best tool you can use...a limiter. The FabFilter Pro-L is totally great and will do what you want. You can adjust how it deals with the peak limiting. I think you should take a look at the reference material for this. You spent a bunch of money on it so it makes sense to use it.
Ok I guess just keep doing what I was doing then. Thanks
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search