Login / Register

What do people think of the 2 new Casio synths?
New Reply
Subscribe
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franz Schiller View Post
BTW, I don't think anyone has mentioned in this thread that all the original CZ waves are available as PCMs to use and work with on these keyboards.
yes they are there but sadly they don't really sound or do anything remotely close to what the CZ series was able to sound like and do. They are just starting waveforms that you put through the system. Outside of the fact that they are physical wave forms that came from a CZ they are just like other samples in there.

You can also very easily import .wav files into the synth to make your own wave forms. I did that with all the stock voices from several of my vintage Casio's the VL1, SK1, SK5, SK200, SA5, and the Casio Rapman. Then I went crazy and starting sampling sounds from other synths (like my DX21, and CZ3000) and even some VSTis into my Sk200 and then recording the output of the SK200 into my DAW and then uploading those to my XWP1.

The Sk200 samples things at a bit rate of 10.113kHz which is a sweet spot of not quite super lowfi but not quite hifi either. It makes for a very neat effect on wave forms.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Aliferis View Post

It will also be sitting under a Sequential Circuits Six-Trak which now fills that role, and it's very possible that some step-sequenced, raw analog oscillator stacks from that early '80's instrument might find their way into the XW-P1's analog input, for some truly wild combinations of old and new music technology.
you can also use the sequencers and arps on the XW-P1 to drive your Six-Trak and then back into the analog input of the XW-P1. I do that with my old cheapy Yamaha FB01 sound module which fits pretty good on the rubber iPad holder thing.

BTW a Korg Monotribe also sits very well there and makes for a great companion when routed into the audio in.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasspike View Post
You can also very easily import .wav files into the synth to make your own wave forms.
You can use your own wav files as Osc waves on the XW-P1? This is first I've heard of this feature. How much time is available? Does it use an SD card for this?

Thanks!
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can use your own wav files as Osc waves on the XW-P1? This is first I've heard of this feature. How much time is available? Does it use an SD card for this?

Thanks!
Sadly this is one of many features that Casio does not really promote. You need to do this via the Casio software and the USB connection then using the software you bring in your wav file and it gets converted to an XW-P1 file. There are many parameters you can edit in the software and then you can move it back and forth the Casio. I am not sure what the time is however I have never had an issue. I am also not really sure where it stores things. I have a pretty large SD card I just leave in there all the time. I use the software to edit everything and then just save it as a patch.

The software is also pretty good, (sadly another thing that Casio does not really promote well) you should read the software guide here

Electronic Musical Instruments - Download - Support - CASIO

When used with a computer, a decent DAW, and the editor the XW-P1 makes for a pretty decent little sampler as well. I think they don't promote this as they want you to get the XW-G1 instead for sampling and that does give you a bit better tools in the editor, however if you shape the wav files in your DAW before you input them you get a lot of power
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear maniac

That's the first time i see Casio as serious competition to the main manufacturers.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
When used with a computer, a decent DAW, and the editor the XW-P1 makes for a pretty decent little sampler as well. I think they don't promote this as they want you to get the XW-G1 instead for sampling and that does give you a bit better tools in the editor, however if you shape the wav files in your DAW before you input them you get a lot of power
I did not know this- glad I chose the P1! I already have a korg microsampler which gives me huge live options in that dept. but it would be great to use samples as a hex patches- if they are rhythmic a person could morph beats and patterns and use it like a mixer.

But what I really like about the P1 is that is has phrase recording- not that many synths offer an easy way to do this but the P1 does (micron and miniak allow this but they have fewer keys and different patches than what I want).
I have a feeling that easy phrase recording will really open up new worlds for me- it is an intuitive way of creating riffs and arpeggios and counter melodies (I plan to use it to create fugues).
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:

Thanks!
Sorry but this is not possible on the XW-P1. The XW-P1's editor does have a .wav converter however this is strictly for using it's audio playback feature. So you could put audio files on the card and play along with them.

The XW-G1 allows you to import your own samples and use them in the Solo Synth, Drum Kits and more.

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowbie View Post
That's the first time i see Casio as serious competition to the main manufacturers.
yeah I agree, the XW series has to be the most underrated product of 2012. When it first came out Casio did a big marketing push into the EDM scene with Crystal Method and Enferno and I am sure it helped them sell some units but these synths are good for lots of things outside of EDM. It would have been nice to see them go outside of EDM with marketing.

I love EDM as well as all sorts of electronic music, I just think that the XW-P1 is like a Swiss Army knife it has so many tools you can use it in many different ways.
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Martin View Post
Sorry but this is not possible on the XW-P1. The XW-P1's editor does have a .wav converter however this is strictly for using it's audio playback feature. So you could put audio files on the card and play along with them.

The XW-G1 allows you to import your own samples and use them in the Solo Synth, Drum Kits and more.

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.
check again Mike I do this all the time on my P1, perhaps my unit has the XW-G1 firmware by mistake at the factory? But I do it all them time using my DAW, a Computer, and the Version 1.1 editor.

I think it is no secret to anyone that the P1 and the G1 have most of not all of the same hardware inside.

Thinking about it more I did buy the open box "demo" from sweetwater that I am pretty sure was used to film their demo video playing the Bladerunner voice. I have a very good relationship with my sales engineer and we had been talking about it since before they had anything in stock. Then he called me and told me Casio had been there doing a demo and I could buy the open box for $50 off. So I did. It had extra sounds loaded in the user banks and maybe I also got some sort of super secret firmware also?

All I know is that when I upload sounds into the XW-P1 those sounds show up in the software just like the sounds from the factory. You can't really edit them however so I do that in my daw.

Last edited by grasspike; 21st December 2012 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: extra info added
20th December 2012
Old 20th December 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

yea, i definitely need to pick one of these up, the pads from the hex layer are nuts..
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
check again Mike I do this all the time on my P1, perhaps my unit has the XW-G1 firmware by mistake at the factory? But I do it all them time using my DAW, a Computer, and the Version 1.1 editor.

I think it is no secret to anyone that the P1 and the G1 have most of not all of the same hardware inside.
The XW-P1 does not have the Flash ROM for loading samples that the XW-G1 has.

The Data Editor for the XW-P1 simply converts .wav files for the audio playback feature. The Data editor for the XW-G1 is different. It has a separate "sample merge" feature that is used for converting .wav files into a format that the XW-G1 can understand.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the XW series, but loading samples in the XW-P1 is simply not possible.
21st December 2012
Old 21st December 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Thinking about it more I did buy the open box "demo" from sweetwater that I am pretty sure was used to film their demo video playing the Bladerunner voice. I have a very good relationship with my sales engineer and we had been talking about it since before they had anything in stock. Then he called me and told me Casio had been there doing a demo and I could buy the open box for $50 off. So I did. It had extra sounds loaded in the user banks and maybe I also got some sort of super secret firmware also?

All I know is that when I upload sounds into the XW-P1 those sounds show up in the software just like the sounds from the factory. You can't really edit them however so I do that in my daw.
You probably got some of my demo files. I created that Blade Runner performance among many others.

User programs will show up in the software editor just like the factory presets.
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Lives for gear

in canada at long and mcquade the G1 is 149 and P1 199 in the boxing day sales!
Extenzo
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Gear nut

What i want to know is what exactly was grasspike doing then.. i'm confused.. he says he imported his own wav files but the casio guy says it cannot be done.. hmm
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

I'd be curious to read a step-by-step from grasspike as well. It's an interesting idea.
26th December 2012
Old 26th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude163 View Post
in canada at long and mcquade the G1 is 149 and P1 199 in the boxing day sales!
And now they are gone from their web site. Looks like L&M is dumping them.
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Lives for gear

dang I was gonna grab one as a MIDI controller/sequencer
27th December 2012
Old 27th December 2012
Gear nut

These are not discontinued. They've only been out for less than a year. L&M has simply sold out.

-Mike Martin
Casio America, Inc.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Why the crazy prices?
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
Why the crazy prices?
I assume they weren't selling, so L&M decided to dump their existing inventory.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Lives for gear

It's not fun being a workstation company nowadays (iPads, Mainstage...)
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear interested

I picked up both a G1 and P1 during Long and Mcquade's
boxing day sale. These are worth way more than the
$149 and $199 they were selling them for.
Needless to say, they went like hotcakes.
It's extremely rare to get deals like that in Canada.
Fantastic sounding with a ton of features.
All I can say is WOW!
messiaen
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
messiaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marswantsflesh View Post
I picked up both a G1 and P1 during Long and Mcquade's
boxing day sale. These are worth way more than the
$149 and $199 they were selling them for.
Needless to say, they went like hotcakes.
It's extremely rare to get deals like that in Canada.
Fantastic sounding with a ton of features.
All I can say is WOW!
Apart from sampler in G1 is there much difference in sounds from both?

Could you put up a few demo;s and your views of both of these please, they both look and sound very interesting!!
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear interested

I have only cracked open the G1 so far.
So busy with the holidays and family.
I'll say this much. The G1 has a lot of sound editing right on the face of the board with the knobs and sliders.
Much easier to tweak the synth and get quick results.
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Lives for gear

messiaen
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
messiaen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern View Post
pretty phat for a VA, I need to demo this, but seems like a bargain, in that a decent 61 midi weighted keyboard would cost about £300 and this is £400 for all the other stuff thrown in!!
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I experimented a bit yesterday with my P1 as a controller for my SGRack. Has anyone tried the Casios as MIDI controllers, and what do you think?
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travst View Post
I experimented a bit yesterday with my P1 as a controller for my SGRack. Has anyone tried the Casios as MIDI controllers, and what do you think?
I use my XW-P1 that way a lot. I also have a old Yamaha FB-01 module that sits pretty good on the rubber iPad holder. Since the arp data in the Xw's transmit via midi it works great as a live controller for grungy FM bass from the FB-01.

Most of the time when I gig live however I have an Abelton Launchpad controller sitting there (works really good for that). On a 3 tier keybaord stand I have the Casio XW-P1 on the bottom(with the Launchpad) with my Yamaha DX21 in the middle and my Casio CZ=230s on the top all daisy chained from the XW-P1.

I love stacking the XW-P1 pads with the classic "High Tines" electric piano sound from from the DX 21. Keeping it in the Casio family I can also play some cool CZ sounds from the CZ-230s. The CZ-230s has 99 preset CZ sounds and you can program 4 via midi (which I don't do) It has some really good bass sounds and also has a pretty cool programmable drum machine based off of the Casio RZ-1. You can get some pretty cool 80s style beats going with it, and then use the XW-P1's arp programs to drive some of the cool 80's bass sounds from the CZ-230s.

I have also used the XW-P1 with my DAW to control and record midi for softsynths. Worked great for that also
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

I have the P1 and its a real good synth for the money- got it slightly used on Ebay for $330 so the price was right!

The good:
1. Easy phrase recording- you can think of an arp or riff, play it and have it go up and down transposed your board with just 2-3 button pushes. No scrolling through presets - etc. You hear it in your mind and create it right away

2. Hex layers allow you to build up complex layered tones that you can mix while performing. Create your own Hex voices as Casio's presets are almost worthless- each layer sounds just like the others! (BTW Mike Martin: this doesn't help the synth sell itself in the music store)

3. The step sequencer is easy and intuitive- using sliders to alter beats is the best way to go- you can develop complex evolving beats as you play

The bad
1. No portamento- given the fact that this is mainly advertized as a synth the lack of portamento really blows- seems like 50% of a synth

2. OK sounds- the synth sounds are pretty decent- the rest is average. Casio sounds are like good vanilla ice cream- really pleasant but not exciting. The drawbar organ is still worse than my 18 year old K2500S.

3. weak effects- turning the knobs will cause a little change but not a lot- for example, you can't bring the envelope attack down to the point that you start off with near silence- which is a bummer for developing pads (you can set delay in some modes though)

I see the XW series as a musical inspiration tool- a sketchbook for ideas- and in this use it is really incredible, I mean its really better than almost anything else out there in that role. It is easier to use than far more expensive synths, which is good for getting an idea down quickly. It is not good for a final product- but it is very cheap and i would really recommend it as someone's first synth or as a sketchpad (or final product if you really like the sound)

The G1 allows for limited sampling- that may overcome some of the sound quality issues. I don't have it so I don't know.

maybe Casio will come out with a upscale version with better sound engine, effects, and deeper editing. That would be nice
2nd January 2013
Old 2nd January 2013
Lives for gear

Actually I wish Casio would come out with a god weighted keyboard controller, 88 or 73 key. Their PX- line digital piano keyboards are excellent, like the PX-350. As for the WX keyboards themselves, I checked out the two WX systems at a local GC yesterday and after a couple of months of GC abuse the keyboards felt like a Chinese toy piano. Another reason I'm not that keen to take them out in the real world.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search