Login / Register

Selling my vintage synths to go modular ?
New Reply
Subscribe
NAWAX
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Selling my vintage synths to go modular ?

I'm probably insane but I know many people have gone this way.
I'd like to know who's done it? How did you feel then?
Thing is, I have the opportunity to get a MOTM/OAKLEY system in one shot. Not having to wait months for modules is a big plus for me. To do so, I would have to sell some of my synths: MS-20, Odyssey & Monopoly would go then. I love them but I know I could live without. As far as analog goes, I would keep: Juno 60, SH-101,TB-303 & Pro-One. Those are the ones I use on a daily basis.
What would you do ?
I'm not sure... G.A.S. is strong.
Any advice would be great.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

You have enough vintage monos to pick up a modular. Your keep pile is good, just add a Minikorg 700s. Sell off the MS20, Odyssey and Monopoly and just make sure you pack them well.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
just add a Minikorg 700s. Sell off the MS20, Odyssey and Monopoly and just make sure you pack them well.
I'd say the opposite.
Keep the monos. they are classics, easy to use, and expensive to replace down the track.
I've been using modulars for over ten years.
The plus side is they are the ultimate in creativity and flexibility. On the downside, it usually takes at least five minutes (often longer) of tedious patching before you start to get creative.
If I need a quick bass synth, or some fill in fx, I turn on a mono and start making noises immediately. One hand on the keyboard, one hand twiddling knobs is very quick and creative for me.
I think a balanced workflow needs both - hard wired synths and modular.
Start building a modular (in Euro I would recommend) and see how you go. Don't consider selling those monos as yet.
I suggest Euro because 1) it's affordable, but 2) more importantly it offers modules that would be very different to the building blocks you already have in those mono synths.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

He IS keeping the very best monos for his music. 101 and the Pro 1 are true keepers. The oddy is perhaps one you might miss though.

You CAN make a lot of 303 style sounds on the 101, so perhaps consider keeping the Arp and losing the TB?

Drum-machine: Boss DR55, Korg EMX-1

Sequencing: Sequentix P3

Software: Reason 6.5 , Recycle 2.2

Outboard: Lexicon MPX100, Alesis Midiverb II, Dunlop MXR-M104, TC Helicon VoicePrism+

http://soundcloud.com/androiddreams

Try and imagine a blind man dreaming- Bret Easton Ellis
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I've had the SH-101, Pro-One, Mono/Poly, and Oddysey.

Out of those, I miss the Mono/Poly the most. It's not the "warmest" or "fattest" mono, but it's capabilities are so unique and difficult to match. The Oddy and Pro One for me would be a tough call, but I'd probably keep the Pro One.

The Mono/Poly arpeggiator in 4 voice mode with each oscillator using different octaves/waves is just way too cool.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

Old monos versus new modules. Sounds like a no brainier if you don't want to maintain old gear.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

I'd keep the synths, start a modular from scratch and build it piece by piece.

But that's just me. It really depends what you're trying to get out of the modular and whether that is worth more to you than owning classic synths.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Don't sell the monos. Really. I'd advise you buy modular and hang on to the monos for at least a year after trying modular. Then if you still need to, sell them. Although I'd advise not to. They are hard enough to get again in good condition. You don't want to go through the old buying song and dance again for those.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lineofcontrol View Post
He IS keeping the very best monos for his music. 101 and the Pro 1 are true keepers.
They are all very good.
hard for me to say which I'd sell.
If I really had to, I'd most likely sell the 303 and Juno 60 I guess.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

keep the synths.....add the modular component, and build on it....

Remember....the monos that you have "evolved" out of the modular concept. The goal there in terms of engineering was 'how do we make this shit smaller and more marketable"
That isn't to say that a fully featured modular won't be able to deliver something above the monos, but an exception to the rule, and so esoteric. Kind of like a houswife that buys an oroginal issue military Hummer to go three blocks away to shop at the grocery store. Major pain in the ass to park,, hard seats, and no rocks to climb
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX View Post
Thing is, I have the opportunity to get a MOTM/OAKLEY system in one shot. Not having to wait months for modules is a big plus for me. To do so, I would have to sell some of my synths: MS-20, Odyssey & Monopoly would go then. I love them but I know I could live without. As far as analog goes, I would keep: Juno 60, SH-101,TB-303 & Pro-One. Those are the ones I use on a daily basis.
What would you do ?
get rid of the ol plunder.. a ju-60 101 303 proone combo should cover all your hand on a real synth urges..

and to go for unheard sounds a ms 20 and monopoly are not really the right partners.. leave them to people that give them some luv
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

I would keep the MS-20, Odyssey since they have a very unique sound character. I would also keep the Pro~One since it is a very versatile synth with a lot of possibilities and you can use the sequencer to control your modular.

Why buy a complete big modular system. Start with a basic system and then add the modules you really need. Remember that there are other manufactures of modules which have some really cool modules e.g. Mos-lab, COTK, STG which is less expensive but still sounds very good.

When I bought my dot.com I went for a complete System-44 with some modification, replaced some modules. I have six VCO’s and I have never used them all at ones. Ones I use five (has VCO’s and LFO’s).
Now I know which modules I really use and need more of e.g. different filters, dividers and a second sequencer.

Kind regards
Demokid
AndromedaA6,Casio CZ1,Elka Synthex(midi),Korg MS20/MS50,Minimoog ModelD(midi),Voyager AE,Prophet5 v3.31,ProOne,Prophet08 AE,Jupiter-8(midi),TeeBee MK3,Synthesizers.com Studio66,Yamaha CS30,Ensoniq SQ80
Drums
Roland DDR30,R8m,DrumStationII
Efx
Eventide H3000D/SE,Lexicon 200,Dynacord DPR20X,KlarkTeknik DN780,Symetrix 606,DeltaLab ADM1024,Korg SDD2000,Roland RE301,TKAudio DP1,Mu-Tron-II,MXR Phrase100,Sony MU-R201
Other
http://soundcloud.com/demokid
http://youtube.com/demokid2000
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

FWIW, i did exactly this a few years back, sold a load of mono synths and bought quite a large MOTM 5U system.
Ultimately although the MOTM sounded good, it didnt deliver the dirt and fundamental character that the old mono synths delivered.
Its hard to beat an MS20 for a raw dirty electronic sound....
So i sold the MOTM and bought a Midimoog (original mini boards), Odyssey and a Pro One and was very happy.
Trying to replicate older synths with newer synths never worked for me.
Not to say new modulars are a bad idea, ive got a euro system with Macbeth, Livewire, Analogue Systems etc.etc.. LOVE IT! But it doesnt sound exactly like the old stuff.
Id suggest keeping what you have and building a modular slowly as funds allow....

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAWAX View Post
What would you do ?
NAWAX
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks for your input...

I think I'll stick to my synths for now as I use them all.
Thing is, I have most of them since a decade or so. So, I felt the need for a drastic change.
Truth is I'm also getting bored with fixed architecture. That being said, I'm pretty sure that my MS-20 and Odyssey can cover a lot of what a classic MOTM/OAKLEY system can do.
I probably should start saving for a eurorack case and get some more esoteric modules than those available in 5U.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear Guru

That's what I would do.... and have done.
The more esoteric Euro modules are quite inspiring.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear maniac

Id sell the Juno and maybe the 303, cool synths but pretty played out, at least keep the odyssey and the mono/poly.

N
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

hmmm
1. it's not going to be the same (vintage synths vs. modular)
2. do you like playing them? keep
3. synths do fine alongside a modular - apart from the 1oct/hz tuning of the MS-20 all will play ball rightaway

If you sell one of these synths, try a few modules as a starter. pick a filter or phaser and some modulation source, and some utillity modules to beef up or lower volume etc.
IMHO

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search