Better polysynth than the P'08?
New Reply
Subscribe
aquablu8
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

Better polysynth than the P'08?

If one were to upgrade to another analog poly, one that is lusher and warmer - overall better sounding, not to expensive to maintain or too old, but still would fit into a modern framework without sounding to dated or vintage, what would you suggest? It also would have to be reasonably priced, i.e, around 3k or less, and enough of a sound upgrade to be worth the hassle. Also, it would have to be able to sound good in modern productions of EDM/IDM and soundtracks.

Does such a board exist, or should I just keep my prophet?
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

There are vintage options at that price, but in terms of modern synths nothing really comes to mind. The Andromeda is more powerful, but it's not warmer.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

How old is "too old"? Because I can't think of any modern poly's (i.e. <10 years old) that would fit your criteria.

In fact, modern poly's in general is a pretty short list... besides the DSI synths (P'08, Poly Evolver, etc) there's the A6, Son of 4 Voice (coming soon I believe), Omega8... can't think of others off-hand...
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

You want an Andromeda. Get one now before the prices go crazy on them. Again.

I have a whole room full of stuff and if I'd bought one of these earlier I probably wouldn't have nearly as many things. Really regret not picking up a used one in 09-10 when they were in production again and you could get one in the 1500-2k range. I got a good deal in town last week on one but still not a crazy deal. Absolutely loving it.

And yes, it's way warmer than a Prophet 08. Not sure what cub005 is getting on about. Like a Jupe 6, you can get an A6 warm or cold. It's all in the programming. But an Andromeda is even warmer than a Jupe 6.

Juno 6/60s are old but they are easy to maintain and still relatively cheap. I've never seen one in really bad shape so it is easy to find one in good shape. If there's a working Crumar Bit in your town you might want to go for that. If you can find a Yamaha CS50/CS60 near you for a decent price that might be something to think about as well.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post

And yes, it's way warmer than a Prophet 08. Not sure what cub005 is getting on about. Like a Jupe 6, you can get an A6 warm or cold. It's all in the programming. But an Andromeda is even warmer than a Jupe 6.
Yep, I can second that. Andromeda A6 (steep learning curve on the programming) or Jupiter-6.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

The only caveat with the A6 is that if something goes wrong (i.e. dead voices) it is somewhat expensive to fix. I believe a replacement voice board is about $1k.
aquablu8
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

TY. Although, I wonder if the SO4V would be the better option compared to the A6? I guess the Omega is out due to expense.

Would the SO4V fit in well with modern styles and not appear like i'm writing old music?
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
The only caveat with the A6 is that if something goes wrong (i.e. dead voices) it is somewhat expensive to fix. I believe a replacement voice board is about $1k.
More like 600-700 max depending on the board and problem and there's enough of an owner and tech community now that they're not turning into boat anchors anymore. A lot of the secrets and issues have been figured out and isolated.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablu8 View Post
If one were to upgrade to another analog poly, one that is lusher and warmer - overall better sounding, not to expensive to maintain or too old, but still would fit into a modern framework without sounding to dated or vintage, what would you suggest? It also would have to be reasonably priced, i.e, around 3k or less, and enough of a sound upgrade to be worth the hassle. Also, it would have to be able to sound good in modern productions of EDM/IDM and soundtracks.

Alesis Andromeda A6 is what you are describing right there!!
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
TY. Although, I wonder if the SO4V would be the better option compared to the A6? I guess the Omega is out due to expense.

Would the SO4V fit in well with modern styles and not appear like i'm writing old music?
If a SO4V ever gets made it's probably going to end up being just as much as an Omega. If you like that sound I would just buy an old 4 voice. They're pretty easy to fix if something goes wrong.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

yeah the a6 is your best bet. It's sad to say but there aren't many options in the modern analog poly department.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

The A6 has it's own sound. I've played one many times but never owned one.

The Jupiter 6 is not really a "warm" synth like an A6 or an Oberhiem. The JP-6 is very organic sounding, but very bright, harsh and cutting at times.

My Xpander is the warmest synth I have.

But be careful buying any synth that's almost 30 years old...
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

How much poly do you need? The Mopho x4--even though it's the same voice as the P08--might sound fuller due to the sub-oscs and feedback. I have one and can dial in some nice warm patches.

The other option is to polychain 4 or more Slim Phatties for <$3k (USD). Moog has a demo of this on youtube that sounds pretty decent.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
How much poly do you need? The Mopho x4--even though it's the same voice as the P08--might sound fuller due to the sub-oscs and feedback. I have one and can dial in some nice warm patches.

The other option is to polychain 4 or more Slim Phatties for <$3k (USD). Moog has a demo of this on youtube that sounds pretty decent.
4 Slim Phatties? No way. I'd go with a Studio Electronics CODE 4 and have it all in one box. You can add more filter types and voices later if you need them.

http://www.studioelectronics.com/pro.../demos/#crumbs
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post

Fun! But not very practical!! Se code or a6 andromeda for me anyday.

I saw a second hand se omega 8 go for £2000 uk about a year ago. They do pop up second hand. Equally I saw an a6 go for £1800 last week.

Both very very good modern analogue poly's. The a6 is very tough to program and expect to spend a few months mastering it. And the pots are jumpy as in they move through the parameters very quickly. But a great great sounding synth with endless possibilities.

I don't have much experience with the se omega/code but this is more like a traditional analogue poly with regards to programming and routing.

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/album/beg...ep/id541654661

www.soundcloud.com/odey
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear nut

Is the A6 ever going to be produced again? I guess the GRP is mono?
aquablu8
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

Thanks. I'll have to think about this. I once played the A6 and wasn't very impressed. Also the CODE has a distinct sound that may not be for me. I may have to look vintage or just get the SO4V as a modern vintage replica. If i were going vintage, I suppose it would be usual suspects, Xpander, MKS-80, OB-8, etc that are not too expensive.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I'll have to think about this. I once played the A6 and wasn't very impressed. Also the CODE has a distinct sound that may not be for me. I may have to look vintage or just get the SO4V as a modern vintage replica. If i were going vintage, I suppose it would be usual suspects, Xpander, MKS-80, OB-8, etc that are not too expensive.
The A6 is one synth you HAVE to spend time with. Playing it even for a couple of hours and checking the presets won't reveal its true tone or power. You need to create a default init patch turn off background tuning and start tweaking and then you'll understand how amazing a synth it is.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The so4v is not going to surface very soon. I would be surprised to see it by summer. I would go for the code if its modern vintage you are after.

Or do what I did and have a list of several synths you would be happy with and buy the one that comes up near to you, at a reasonable price, in good condition. I picked up my prophet 5 this way. Got it for £1800 even when the market value was higher.

The expander strikes me as still being a good deal.

But if you want a slightly tighter modern sound with all the benefits of a modern synth in terms of midi sync etc multiple outs and still be analogue. A6 all the way.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

No love for the Poly Evolver? I have owned both the P08 and the PEK and the PEK is the one I stuck with, it is an amazing synth.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

Juno 60 with Minerva is *the* best polysynth aside from the big Oberheims and the JP8 imho. Reliable and cheap. Others can do more, but few sound as good.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

First, the last time i asked Tom two weeks ago about the delay on the SOFV, and the expected release date - and he answerd that the it's going to be released sometime early 2013, and the main reason for delay was that the prototype weighs 40 pounds and he's looking for a way to lower that.

Another - future synth - option, would be the mfb dominion 5
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahush76 View Post
First, the last time i asked Tom two weeks ago about the delay on the SOFV, and the expected release date - and he answerd that the it's going to be released sometime early 2013, and the main reason for delay was that the prototype weighs 40 pounds and he's looking for a way to lower that.

Another - future synth - option, would be the mfb dominion 5
Early 2013 doesn't sound too bad actually! (Although its bound to be delayed a little! ) any idea what the waiting list is like on this? And any hint on price?
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post
Early 2013 doesn't sound too bad actually! (Although its bound to be delayed a little! ) any idea what the waiting list is like on this? And any hint on price?
He said the price is going to be "a bit more" than the original 3495$ pricing. So i'm guessing it's going to be around the 4k mark.
I don't know how long the waiting list is.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
I think the prices are pretty crazy already. I've wanted one since they came out, but they get more expensive way quicker than my income increases.

I'm hoping the Dominion 5 will satisfy my cravings at a lower pricepoint.

Quote:

Don't know what you have already, but I would keep the Prophet and get a digital/VA synth or two. Accelerator, Virus etc. Also, an analog monosynth might be a useful addition (many parts of Dance tracks are monophonic arpeggios and sequences). No single board exists that does everything (not even the fabled JP-8). I also find it very inspiring to combine analog and digital in a track.
KT1
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
KT1
Lives for gear

I like my Code Modern poly PHAT..
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
He said the price is going to be "a bit more" than the original 3495$ pricing. So i'm guessing it's going to be around the 4k mark.
I don't know how long the waiting list is.
Ouch! 4k ( dollars ) is quite a lot. I have a jp8 near me that I can pick up for £4000 ( pounds that is! ) which isn't far off the 4k dollars.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odey View Post
Ouch! 4k ( dollars ) is quite a lot. I have a jp8 near me that I can pick up for £4000 ( pounds that is! ) which isn't far off the 4k dollars.
Oh, i wouldn't say 4000$ and 4000£ are the same.
Around here, the british pound costs almost twice (more like 1.75) than a dollar.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmiG View Post
I think the prices are pretty crazy already. I've wanted one since they came out, but they get more expensive way quicker than my income increases.

I'm hoping the Dominion 5 will satisfy my cravings at a lower pricepoint.

Don't know what you have already, but I would keep the Prophet and get a digital/VA synth or two. Accelerator, Virus etc. Also, an analog monosynth might be a useful addition (many parts of Dance tracks are monophonic arpeggios and sequences). No single board exists that does everything (not even the fabled JP-8). I also find it very inspiring to combine analog and digital in a track.
Good advices here ! These days it's more good sounding vs average sounding than digital vs. analogue. Some Solaris Demos sound to me far superior than some poly analogue in many areas...but it's just me !
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh, i wouldn't say 4000$ and 4000£ are the same.
Around here, the british pound costs almost twice (more like 1.75) than a dollar.
Bloody hell. The conversions good at the moment. Time to buy some more goodies from fender me thinks and us eBay. (Expander from the us springs to mind!!!)

You are quite right. $4000 is roughly £2500.

In that context the so4v is not a bad deal.

Still I would be weary if it was my only poly synth. I have a new sem. I love it but its quite a specific vibe.

The so4v will no doubt sound amazing but not able to cover a huge amount of ground I wouldn't have thought.

No way near as versatile as an a6 which has so many features you couldn't shake a stick at it!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search