Login / Register

Monosynth For Lead & Bass (Fusion, Alternative Hip Hop)
New Reply
Subscribe
Equalizer
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear nut

Monosynth For Lead & Bass (Fusion, Alternative Hip Hop)

So I need my first synth.
I want it to be
Monophonic (mainly a budget reason, and also because I can program soft synth pads pretty decent),
Have both lead and bass qualities,
Sound BADASS for the price (I think I can go up to 900$, maybe a touch more)
Be rack module (that's not integral.. I can live with a keyboard, but I got the AKAI MPK49 and due to space issues I prefer a rack module. Maybe someone convince me otherwise, because I want in the future to take the synth for live gigs. So maybe a keyboard synth would be my choice?)
Have MIDI functionality (mainly CC controlling parameters on the synth)
Be fairly modern (I don't have the money to buy and repair vintage synths)

I listen to music like:
Joe Zawinul, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, George Duke, Madlib, J Dilla, Ryat, DOOM, Flying Lotus, B. Bravo, Hudson Mohawke,
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

In that price range without keys you have many options, mopho, doepfer dark energy, mono lancet, all have a variety of waveshapes which should give you fat basses and nice thin leads

Music at http://www.soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle.
Equalizer
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear nut

Thanks for the comments.
Can someone comment about the issue of live gigs? Wouldn't it be harder for me to take a MIDI keyboard (MPK49) in addition to the rack module? What is your experience with modules in live use?
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

you are looking for a studio electronics ATC synth of some variety...
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear Guru

Let's say you pick an SE1x - the problem is mainly in the sense that it's not really ergonomic to put a bigger rack unit on top of a MIDI keyboard. It's light-weight, compact, portable, and also not really friendly to carry with you. A desktop module would be a better idea - mostly because several MIDI keyboards may have generous space on one of the sides to put such a module on - but would not fit easily in a rack again.

Otherwise, module versions are generally constrained in their controls (this does not always have to be the case) because they're meant to be tucked away somewhere below and controlled remotely in full.

What did you already try from the modern offerings (e.g. Slim Phatty?) What do you consider bad-ass?
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

In that price range with keys included, I would consider a Mopho keyboard, a used Little Phatty, or possibly a Minibrute (if you're ok with its bass).
Equalizer
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Let's say you pick an SE1x - the problem is mainly in the sense that it's not really ergonomic to put a bigger rack unit on top of a MIDI keyboard. It's light-weight, compact, portable, and also not really friendly to carry with you. A desktop module would be a better idea - mostly because several MIDI keyboards may have generous space on one of the sides to put such a module on - but would not fit easily in a rack again.

Otherwise, module versions are generally constrained in their controls (this does not always have to be the case) because they're meant to be tucked away somewhere below and controlled remotely in full.

What did you already try from the modern offerings (e.g. Slim Phatty?) What do you consider bad-ass?
Thanks for the informative reply.
I think I meant desktop module to begin with.
From all the synths in the world, I think I only played a Juno (don't remember which.. It was a vintage one) and a Lil' Phatty. The Lil' Phatty was WAY cool. I don't really know that much about synthesis, just a keyboardist trying to pave my way to it. So the Lil' Phatty sounded really good to me..
Equalizer
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by solipsynth View Post
In that price range with keys included, I would consider a Mopho keyboard, a used Little Phatty, or possibly a Minibrute (if you're ok with its bass).
Does the Mopho sound good for lead and bass sounds?
I heard demoes of the Minibrute and really dug it.. The only problem I have with it are no patches and no MIDI-controlled parameters (as far as I could gather)
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Both the Mopho keyboard and the Phatty are very capable for both lead and bass. However they have different sound character, so you need to demo both for yourself. If you really dig the Phatty already, I say go for it.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Studio Electronics SE-1
DSI Mono Evolver Keyboard
Creamware Minimax ASB (not mono, not real analog and difficult to find, but it sounds good! )

All "modern" stuff, no vintage.
If you don't mind buying used, all three could be found within your intended budget.
Equalizer
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear nut

The Mopho layout seems to be unintuitive.. Is it a simple synth or is it a manu-diving type?
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

Look for the Mopho keyboard instead of the desktop. It's pretty straightforward and easy to carry.
As it's going to be your first synth, you need an army of knobs.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search