Is there a Retina Macbook Pro compatible Midi Keyboard out there?!
BirdNerd
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear interested

Is there a Retina Macbook Pro compatible Midi Keyboard out there?!

I've been on the hunt for a Midi Keyboard that is compatible with my new Retina Macbook Pro... the M-Audio Keyrig 49 does not work and when I contacted M-Audio here is there response:

"The potential issue with the newer retina MBPs stems from their USB 3.0 ports. At this time, M-Audio products are not supported on USB 3.0 ports."

I thought the USB 3.0 ports were supposed to be backwards compatible but apparently there is an issue. I'm currently in discussions with Akai and Korg to get their feedback and although they say all midi keyboard components are class-compliant I still cannot get any confirmation specifically on performance with the new Retina Macbook Pro.

This is not an issue with OS X 10.8.2 compatibility and Apple have also been useless in answering this question.

I'm absolutely desperate so I'm totally depending on you guys!
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
I think the USB 3.0 ports carry slightly more electricity that a regular USB port (you can charge devices via USB 3.0 even when your computer is turned off), so the compatability issues stem from that. I've definitely had some problems using other devices like my Novation Launchpad while it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

I assume the fix will come in the form of a driver update eventually. Are both ports USB 3.0 on the MBP? I would suggest maybe buying a USB hub that doesn't include any 3.0 ports and plugging your gear into that for the time being.
BirdNerd
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by portervance View Post
I think the USB 3.0 ports carry slightly more electricity that a regular USB port (you can charge devices via USB 3.0 even when your computer is turned off), so the compatability issues stem from that. I've definitely had some problems using other devices like my Novation Launchpad while it's plugged into a USB 3.0 port.

I assume the fix will come in the form of a driver update eventually. Are both ports USB 3.0 on the MBP? I would suggest maybe buying a USB hub that doesn't include any 3.0 ports and plugging your gear into that for the time being.
Yes, both ports are USB 3.0... The whole point in buying the rMBP was to future proof my new adventures in DAW recording... can't win! Just found this interesting article --> USB 3.0: Backwards Compatible in Theory, But Some Audio Drivers Aren’t Cooperating
BirdNerd
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Gear interested

Found one!

Just been to my local music shop and had them pull out a few Midi Keyboards and the Roland A-500 Pro works a treat... pity it's £200!
25th October 2012
Old 25th October 2012
Lives for gear

I had this same problem with my retina and m audio keyboard but I solved it by using a USB hub with USB 2.0. For some reason it works. USB hubs are dirt cheap so it shouldn't hurt to try.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777
BirdNerd
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy View Post
I had this same problem with my retina and m audio keyboard but I solved it by using a USB hub with USB 2.0. For some reason it works. USB hubs are dirt cheap so it shouldn't hurt to try.

Thanks for the info! Do you mind telling me which USB Hub you're using and the M-Audio model?

Thanks a lot
26th October 2012
Old 26th October 2012
Lives for gear

Axiom 25 and a belkin USB hub

BirdNerd
29th October 2012
Old 29th October 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick easy View Post
Axiom 25 and a belkin USB hub

Thanks a million slick... I bought a £3.99 usb Logik USB hub yesterday and the M-audio Keyrig49 I have now works a treat!!

YOU GUYS ROCK!
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search