New Reply
Subscribe
flat earth
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Microkorg XL+?

So I was listening to a demo by that cool guy Katsunori putting the Microkorgs through their paces.

I would normally not have much interest in these kind of synths (had the original MK) but I have to say the XL+ sounds rather good.

I've been looking for something with usable electric piano sounds (Rhodes) for a cheap price, and I have to say on this little board, they sound pretty neat. Add to that a cut down Radias engine, with excellent software editing, im thinking this would make a great midi sound source to sit above my JD800.

Can anyone with the '+' version confirm whether those EPs are as good in person?

'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear addict

the mk xl+ is just a regular xl with some new patches.. patches that can be made on a regular xl but theyre made as presets.. atleast thats what ive been told by a number of people. i still want one tho as i have the original mk and wanted an xl.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

I'm a big hater of the original MK.. and I stand by it ... MS2000 too,..

but I like the MicroKorg XL. Electro pianos do sound nice.. especially the Wurli. Not the best interface tho...

Didn't hear of the XL+ til now.
Looks nice. Poly 800 of the future..
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

They're the same Rom epiano samples that you get in the M50/microstation apparently, I had an m50 for a while and thought they were neat. Good effects on the XL too, so you'll easily be able to make grungy Rhodes patches.

Music at http://www.soundcloud.com/elmosexwhistle.
flat earth
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanderbeanz View Post
They're the same Rom epiano samples that you get in the M50/microstation apparently, I had an m50 for a while and thought they were neat. Good effects on the XL too, so you'll easily be able to make grungy Rhodes patches.
Yeah, its that sound at 3:26. Very nice and mellow.

Might pick up a standard XL (if it has the same EPs) as they seem even cheaper than the original MK atm on ebay etc. Flippin ugly piece of kit visually, but thats not important.

I've always been on the fence on the Radias sound engine, but it will make an nice extra layer as a bonus to my other VAs.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Try and double check if the XL+ has more sample ROM data, i remember the XL having some romples, (piano, strings, etc) but not sure if it had the rhodes built in. If it is just patches, then go for it.

I myself am liking the look of the new black and red microkorg:

Mainly because it looks like something out of bladerunner, i can just imagine a couple of simulants jamming on one
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search