Rolands last true analog synth?
thong
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Rolands last true analog synth?

So was it the Alpha Juno 2 and HS-80?

I have recently picked up a HS-80 nice and cheap, whats interesting it has the ubiquitous chorus, then a "wide" button and a "loudness" button.
So I assume the wide is a spacializer and the loudness a sort of compression.
What I do know they sound great!

Any ideas on what they stuck inside?

Another thing it has an external input, it goes thru the loudness but not the wide, but the manwell says cannot thru anything?

I want to mod it so external can go thru the wide and loudness and then out to an external amp/pr.
I think those effects sounds very very good and quite produced in terms of sound.

Cheers
Thon

Last edited by thong; 23rd October 2012 at 03:57 PM.. Reason: spelling
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Guess it depends what you mean by true, starting with the Juno-6 they used DCOs which would not really be true analog in the purest sense.

I think the Jupiter 6 or MKS-80 would be their last true analog synth in that case.
thong
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

DCO are analog they are just clocked by digital means.
and the VCFs/VCAs are analog, sure the LFOs/ENVs are S/W.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Roland's last powerhouse/really desirable synth imo (with VCOs) is the MKS-80 ...

All those JXes and Alpha Junos with their limited interfaces and slow envelopes just don't do it for me ...
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Jp6 mofuggah
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
Guess it depends what you mean by true, starting with the Juno-6 they used DCOs which would not really be true analog in the purest sense.

I think the Jupiter 6 or MKS-80 would be their last true analog synth in that case.
come on.. nobody with a clear mind denies the junos the analog synth statuts..

when the juno 6 came out the word digital wasnt even used in the context of a synth.. that came with the dx7 and samplers.. it was digital when it had a floppy drive ..
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Banned

i would say the jupiter 6

a real analog synth dont comes in a 19 inch housing and has knobs
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
i would say the jupiter 6

a real analog synth dont comes in a 19 inch housing and has knobs
Forever.

Are there any other Roland synths that let you pick multiple waveforms per oscillator?
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
Are there any other Roland synths that let you pick multiple waveforms per oscillator?
The SH-101 does. Each waveform has it's own volume slider in the mixer section.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

@ nebulfrau - not sure I understand your question, but a lot of Roland synths allow this, including the alpha juno that can have a sub, square, or - uniquely - a choice of saw tooth shapes. Other than the SH101 mentioned above though, I cant think of another that has such precise control over the mix, save some of the earlier SH series perhaps...

Also, I think maybe the JX10 was Rolands last essay on the analog subject, a spirited attempt to beat the DX7 - and an admirable job.
23rd October 2012
Old 23rd October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
Forever.

I miss my Jupiter-6. One of the most stupid ideas ever was to sell it and get a D50.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

I read the other day that the JX10 was the last analog.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

It was the JX-10 if you include DCOs. MKS-80 was the last with VCOs.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I read the other day that the JX10 was the last analog.
The JX-10 was an MKS-70 with a 76 key Keyboard bolted on. Great for chorused layered pads, but I never liked the bass sounds that came out of it. The Alpha Juno/MKS-50 has a much faster multi-stage envelope and a better bass response, but it's a one trick pony - spacey filter pads and fat baselines are all it really does. Both were DCO synths.

The MKS-80 and Jupiter 6 were the last full featured VCO synths they made.

Then the D-50 happened....
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
It was the JX-10 if you include DCOs. MKS-80 was the last with VCOs.
Who ever excludes DCOs from analog synths? The JX10 was the last Roland analog synth, no need for any qualifications -- jeez ---

...what a forum...! I think that picture above says it all ---- and curse all none-believers and in fact the creator itself who taketh the name of its own creation in vain by naming devil digital synths thus ... or somesuch apparently....
BM0
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
BM0
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
What is that painting? I find the added JP-8 to be funny and sad.

I like MKS-80 because it is rackmount and sounds great. No room for more poly keys in my setup.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post
Who ever excludes DCOs from analog synths? The JX10 was the last Roland analog synth, no need for any qualifications -- jeez ---

...what a forum...! I think that picture above says it all ---- and curse all none-believers and in fact the creator itself who taketh the name of its own creation in vain by naming devil digital synths thus ... or somesuch apparently....
Yes, and just as ChristianRock pointed out... What was their last GOOD sounding analog synth?

I believe the Jupiter 6 and MKS-80 to still be great synths even in today's enviroment. The JX-10..... not so much.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear nut

The JX10 is a fantastic synth , in my musical opinion much better as an overall instrument than the Jupiter 6 or MKS 80 .
I have owned, ( & still own) played & love both the JX10 & Jupiter 6 ( also a wonderful synth) for 20 & 16 years respectively.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass View Post

I may be knitpicking but the word 'true' was used in the question. This leaves room for some interpretation as to whether DCOs are actually "true" when they are in fact not wholly analog. Take that word out of the sentence and I am with you 100%.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

JP6 was Roland's penultimate great analog synth ...

Didn't stop me from selling it recently though ...

A common complaint about JP6 is that it lacks heft at the bottom end ... It's true ... (Of course, you can run it through an EQ but I never felt it really remedied the situation to my liking, and no doubt it's the reason MKS-80 added the EDIT: bass boost, which really would have made all the difference in the world and put it much closer to JP8 in terms of desirability as an all-rounder ... But silk is not a word I'd apply to JP6)

Still, the sounds it does exceptionally well at (bright high-pitched wonders but still retaining analog smoothness) it seems to be the only analog synth to do those like that ... (The unison leads also scream but that's not really a frequent weapon in my sonic arsenal ... )
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Gear nut

DCOs in the Roland sense are as 'true' analogue oscillators as any VCOs.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkelein View Post
I may be knitpicking but the word 'true' was used in the question. This leaves room for some interpretation as to whether DCOs are actually "true" when they are in fact not wholly analog. Take that word out of the sentence and I am with you 100%.
DCO's are analog. A "true" analog synth would have no memories, no MIDI, etc... Nothing digitally controlled at all. We need some digital control in order to save patches. We need some digital control to do MIDI. And in the case of a DCO we need some digital control to maintain tuning stability.

I just like a little drift in my "analogs".
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post

A common complaint about JP6 is that it lacks heft at the bottom end ... It's true ... (Of course, you can run it through an EQ but I never felt it really remedied the situation to my liking, and no doubt it's the reason MKS-80 added the sub-oscillator, which really would have made all the difference in the world and put it much closer to JP8 in terms of desirability as an all-rounder ... But silk is not a word I'd apply to JP6)

Still, the sounds it does exceptionally well at (bright high-pitched wonders but still retaining analog smoothness) it seems to be the only analog synth to do those like that ... (The unison leads also scream but that's not really a frequent weapon in my sonic arsenal ... )
The MKS-80 has no sub-oscillator, just a bass boost circuit to fix the JP-6 lack of bass... they both use the same "voiceboards".
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post

A common complaint about JP6 is that it lacks heft at the bottom end ... It's true ... (Of course, you can run it through an EQ but I never felt it really remedied the situation to my liking, and no doubt it's the reason MKS-80 added the sub-oscillator, which really would have made all the difference in the world and put it much closer to JP8 in terms of desirability as an all-rounder ... But silk is not a word I'd apply to JP6)

You lose a lot of features going to a MKS-80 though. Also depends which MKS-80 you buy. I auditioned a late model one locally and it reminded me more of my old JX-10 than anything else. And I wasn't about to pay 1500 when I could just buy a MKS-70 for 500.

The bright highs of the Jupiter 6 are what keep it here. I've got enough things that boom and layered with my Juno 60/MD-8? Well...
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
You lose a lot of features going to a MKS-80 though. Also depends which MKS-80 you buy. I auditioned a late model one locally and it reminded me more of my old JX-10 than anything else. And I wasn't about to pay 1500 when I could just buy a MKS-70 for 500.
Because the rev5 MKS-80 used some of the same chips as the MKS 70. The same filter chip, and a custom VCO designed to sound more smooth like the JX.

Try a rev4 MKS-80, much different.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

Another way of stating the original question is:
"When did Roland start going downhill?"

24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012

Quote:

Well, they did the D-50 after the MKS-80.

That was still going uphill as far as sales go...

But I don't own a D-50. Never wanted to.
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Banned

Quote:

they was pertty much on top of the game all the time.. just not in favor of the customers anymore..that happened when theire 80´s machines went way more popular than theire 90´s machines..and the answer on that..the mc303 ..a little ugly preset monster targeted to newbs made them loose the face... the mc 303 marks the downfall.. the jd 800 was still not a bad synth..just a bad looking one.. A big flop.. they try them out at ridicolous low prices in the end.. less than 1000...
24th October 2012
Old 24th October 2012
Lives for gear

@ brightside Ya see, not this again...

'Cos in the wake of the overwhelming popularity of the DX series and digital synths they should have just kept making analog synths like,err everyone else?

I mean thats what Korg did, and Yamaha and Kawai etc etc didnt they? More companies that went downhill?

edit - same things being posted ad infinitum
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search