Future/Next Yamaha Motif Workstation - Korg Kronos Competitor - Coming Soon?
djloekee27
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear addict

Future/Next Yamaha Motif Workstation - Korg Kronos Competitor - Coming Soon?

Yamaha's next Motif workstation to be released in the future as a competitor to the Korg Kronos? Is it coming soon? 2013 maybe? 2014 maybe?
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

If it has the name Motif in it, I will not be interested ...

Yamaha needs to start from scratch again ...
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
If it has the name Motif in it, I will not be interested ...

Yamaha needs to start from scratch again ...
+1

After ten years of Motifs, time to move to something more interesting.

I started with the Motif Classic, ten years ago, then moved up to Motif ES, XS, and now using the XF. but time to change the name, and concept to something more exciting, and powerful, and offering very tight integration with Cubase/Nuendo.

Hopefully, whatever YAMAHA's next gen. Workstation happens to be called, it will be a huge step up from the Motif line. Especially, if they plan to milk it for another 10 years

Cheers,
Muziksculp
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
+1

offering very tight integration with Cubase/Nuendo.
This.
They should really try to implement an actual synthesis engine in the motif series. Like actually change lfos and stuff.
Plus start from scratch with the sounds. I have a motif xs rack and i rarely use it since I am fed up of hearing the same sounds.
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

I don't think anything Roland/Yamaha make will offer anything in the same range as Kronos. Yamaha still only relies on just samples and has no VA or FM or any other engine to use (and it's ******** not to have that considering their history).

I'm more interested in Kurzweil's next step instead.
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Well Yamaha do have FM synthesis and virtual analog algorithms (an1x) which they could make use on their next workstation. Plus the modelling tech they developed for the amazing Rupert Neve plugins. They could make a killer keyboard.
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

They COULD. But WILL they? I don't think so.

AN1x still sounds amazing. And it was made in 1996, almost 20 years ago. Yamaha is stupid for not including those engines in their workstations, with more polyphony, more effects...
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, for 0 R&D they could create something really special, an EX5 with the DSP power behind it that it could actually function properly.

I reckon, they could market a new multi-engine workstation VL, AN, FM+ AWM jobby (with VST plugins to control each engine) and present it in a really funky way, make it look retro and appeal to the hip dance/alt rock market.

Aswell as this, they could "do a Korg" and release a micro-line, each micro featuring a different engine, an FM one that looks like a little DX100 (but with 8 op synthesis, a resonant multi filter and a PCM drumkit) a VA one which has the whole An1x engine in but x2 (so 4 part multitimbrality) and a PCM drumkit, and a VL one which has an eigenharp like expression section, bright colours, collect em all! Again not much R&D needed, and the DSP chips now could offer alot of bang for buck.

But maybe i'd be the only person to buy all of this cool, funky coloured shiz, as most Yamaha customers seem to be lounge players who like their Tyros's a bit too much...
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
I'm more interested in Kurzweil's next step instead.
Ditto.
28th September 2012
Old 28th September 2012
Lives for gear

Been waiting years for that ...
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think anything Roland/Yamaha make will offer anything in the same range as Kronos. Yamaha still only relies on just samples and has no VA or FM or any other engine to use (and it's ******** not to have that considering their history).
The Jupiter-80 is kind of tangential to the Kronos. Fewer synth engines - two or three?, but what they do is quite impressive. Very interested in that.

I'm curious about the next Kurzweil myself, but they can't even release 128 or so vintage synth patches for the PC3 in two years?? And where is that expansion board I've heard of forever? On one hand, this might mean the K-Next will be unveiled this NAMM. Or, it could just be the symptom of a company which needs to hire a few more engineers. They take FOREVAR to do anything!

Yamaha... it's hard to say what they'll do. People still hunt down EXs, and as you say, AN-1xs which do sound pretty darn juicy. I'm sure Yamaha is aware of that, and how much people complain over the unveiling of yet ANOTHER Motif rompler. Meanwhile, people still gobble them up.

I have to say as a die hard synthesist that a good sounding rompler is still the most musically useful keyboard around, if you have to pick one. And you can't have a Kronos. I think the Kronos and Jupiter-80, along with rumblings of Kurz New, will nudge them into finally producing a successor to the EX-5. Looking at the roadmap of the Motifs, the Motif was released in 2001, the ES in 2003, the XS in 2007, the XF in 2010. Sales will be the determiner, and it seems that the XF is still selling reasonably well. But then again, they are sliding a bit, and it wouldn't be out of line to see the next gen Yamaha in the upcoming NAMM. We'll see.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Gear nut

I really hope Yamaha brings it with there next product. With there physical modeling technolgy, FM, and acoustic samples, only thing stopping them is the Ballz to make something awesome. Hopefully the Kronos is forcing them too. Crazy the physical modeling on my EX5 is still some of the best Ive ever heard, and it came out 12-14 years ago. Sad that low sales on some of there most innovative stuff, led them to go all sample based with the Motifs. As far as wrokstation sequencers too, Ive always favored Yamahas to the competitors, after Ensoniq died of coarse
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm over it.

nothing new has come out to excite me really in the synth department. maybe i haven't been paying attention or I'm too picky.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
They COULD. But WILL they? I don't think so.

AN1x still sounds amazing. And it was made in 1996, almost 20 years ago. Yamaha is stupid for not including those engines in their workstations, with more polyphony, more effects...
Good point!Roland just did with integre 7.

$6000 sounds!

Sent from my PC36100
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Integra is disappointing to me pretty much. Especially in the user patches count - we're in 2012, not 1990 for crying out loud, Roland.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy View Post
And where is that expansion board I've heard of forever?
In transit. It's around the corner now. The ROM is done, the soundware is done, next step is distributors. Here's one setup from it:

ozy
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
In transit. It's around the corner now. The ROM is done, the soundware is done, next step is distributors. Here's one setup from it:
nope.

Italian distributor yesterday told me that production is the next step.

(I had called them, money in hand, for booking 3 kores64s. No need to turn me down if they had it really coming in).

"in transit", my... er... foot!

"end of October" will end just like the 2010, 2011 and 2012 "ends of july"

I feel like I am being fed a lot of BS, no matter how "friendly" the guys at R&D are and how nice their demos are.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

[youtube]
Erm... so... what's the part that's supposed to be making me want to buy it? If it's nothing but a bunch of percussion, I have that out the wazoo.

It's strange how Kurzweil have been dragging their collective feet since they produced the K2600. Sure, they cranked out a truckload of performance boards with hit and miss quality, and the PC3 is pretty darn nifty. But it took freaking Andrew Lloyd Webber to ask for the 2600 successor to encourage them to fiddle around with the PC3! They didn't even produce the Kurz Next.

And if you want to talk about lame, they can't even produce a patch bank of vintage synth sounds after saying they would for more than a YEAR?? When people grouched about a synth on another board I habit, I cranked out more than 100 patches in three weeks for it. In my spare time! Of course, it does have good sounding filters, and I prefer the ones in my K2000 over the non-"Mogue" ones in the PC3.

I dunno. Kurzweil is just a weird company, and has been for years.
29th September 2012
Old 29th September 2012
Lives for gear

Percussion, guitars, brass, vintage waveforms and K-series compatibility file is on the ROM.

Regarding vintage sounds, Dave Weiser explained that the workload over there is just crazy so that VA bank never got in queue properly. Thankfully, there are excellent banks by Barbezinc and free VA patches by J05H (here) and others available online.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search