Synths to keep?
New Reply
Subscribe
maestro
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear addict

Synths to keep?

I own the following synths/modules. I am considering selling them. Any reason I should keep any of these in my studio? Considering funding a Yamaha Motif XF. Thank you.

1. Korg Prophecy (with Modern Models Card)

2. Korg Triton Classic (with SCSI for Sampling, also 2 PCM Expansion Boards Vintage & Drum Loop Essentials)

3. Roland JV2080

4. Yamaha DX7s

5. Korg X5D
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear addict

i dunno.. right now, i think the X5D would be the 1st to go... kinda hard decision between havin a vintage DX7s, the Roland and the Prophecy... i would try to keep one kb from each company since their sounds are different... but this is hard for me.. ur gonna have to make a list of plus n minuses if u ask me... plus who gives u a big profit from seliing.. lol

da relic
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

That's hard to say; how much do you use each?

Just in terms of synthesis, the XF can't replace the Prophecy or the DX7 because it does not have analog or physical modeling, and it doesn't have FM synthesis. It does however have a slew of stock rompler sounds that should easily make the X5D, Triton and 2080 feel outdated in terms of realism.

Agreeing with the observation of Slik dA Relic regarding the X5D; your Triton Classic should (theoretically and in spirit) already cover pretty much everything it can do.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

I agree with Yoozer, X5D, Triton and 2080 can go.

Between Prophecy and DX7, keep only the ones you program. If you don't really get into programming either of those, sell them. But if you do program, or if any of them have specialty sounds that you absolutely need, then keep them.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear addict

yea.. i gotta say, if it was me, im keepin the kb that can manipulate the sounds... so the Prophecy and the DX7 would hafta stay... the only reason i would get rid of the 2080 is bcuz its a rack mount... the Triton vs Motif is still tuff for me though.. prolly be hard, but i guess the old workstation would have to make room for the new one... that might be where ur biggest profit comes from as well.

da relic
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

What do you expect of the Motif that you don't think you can get from your current synths?

If you want synth sounds, I don't think new ROMplers have improved at all in that department...
At least the sound of the Kronos seems pretty similar to the sound of my Triton (considering only the ROMpler section, of course).

On the other hand, if you start talking about "real" instrument sounds... then you can clearly notice a difference, but from my experience, some samplers can do a very good job at those sounds, and you can find them pretty cheap.
My EMU E6400 Ultra is excellent at those kind of sounds (I got it with a nice library) and it was pretty cheap and can be found for nice prices easily.

This way, I don't think I would dump the Korg Triton...
I have one and quite like it and think it has a pretty good sound and you can definitely get great synth sounds out of it.

But the Korg X5D I would dump, unless you need a small and light ROMpler to take with you, despite I think there are better solutions.

I would likely dump the Roland JV2080, as I have had 2 JV1080 and don0t really think they are that good (prefer the Triton sound at least).
But if you like it and use it, just keep it

If you sell one of those you should have enough money for a good sampler with some library that will fit your needs.
I would recommend the EMU E6400 Ultra, as I think it can give you nice realistic sounds.
And if you like the Roland JV2080, I think the Roland S760/S770 could be a good choice for a second sampler, if you'd want a second one.

I would also think about selling the Yamaha DX7s too, since you are thinking about it, for a simple reason... you might be able to sell it for a nice price and you can get a DX7IID later for the same price and that one seems better.

The Korg Prophecy seems to be a keeper, especially since you don't have other monophonic synths.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear nut

No disrespect to above poster, but the Kronos is thousands of miles ahead of any Triton. Have you used one? I dig my Triton rack and still use it, but I had the Kronos for a couple months & its pretty damn remarkable the synthesis and sound quality, esp MOD7 & the piano/ep sections.

Saying that, I do like the Motif XFs layout and sequencer better then Kronos. But in regards to the question above, I'd sell them all except DX7, and get an XF or Kronos.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Dump it all and get a Waldorf lol
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
1. Korg Prophecy (with Modern Models Card)

2. Korg Triton Classic

3. Roland JV2080

4. Yamaha DX7s

5. Korg X5D

I would get rid of these 2.

May as well keep the X5D for the Korg AI2 flavour, which would be a good contrast to the XF's sound.

'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear Head

Unless you really like and use the sound of romplers like X5D and JV2080 I don't see a reason keeping them to collect dust, the same goes for Triton, I doubt it would be convenient to use two workstations at the same time.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraGarlic View Post
No disrespect to above poster, but the Kronos is thousands of miles ahead of any Triton. Have you used one? I dig my Triton rack and still use it, but I had the Kronos for a couple months & its pretty damn remarkable the synthesis and sound quality, esp MOD7 & the piano/ep sections.

Saying that, I do like the Motif XFs layout and sequencer better then Kronos. But in regards to the question above, I'd sell them all except DX7, and get an XF or Kronos.
I'm talking about the Kronos as a ROMpler.
If you just consider that single mode, I don't think the synth sounds of it are that improved to justify the upgrade.
The "realistic" sounds are definitely improved, but from the times I tested it and other new ROMplers, they don't seem better than my EMU E6400 Ultra, which is the reason why I was suggesting a sampler instead.

But sure, if you consider the whole package, it definitely seems much nicer, but given how low the Triton prices are nowadays... I'd say it's better to keep the Triton.
ozy
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestro View Post
I Any reason I should keep any of these in my studio?
Considering that the XF can load samples of both the korg and roland romplers, I'd say:

korg X5D ---> GO! Objectively a mediocre synth. It's Ai2, but in a hugely scaled-down version.

triton: on the contrary, it has the full Korg flavour of those years. It has personality --> keep, with reservations (i.e.: evaluate if selling AFTER you got AND MASTERED the yamaha XF).

Prophecy --> KEEP! Objectively a unique synth. No way the XF can produce those sounds.

DX7: why is it there? Specific reasons? Sounds you use a lot, you love especially? If you can't answer quickly --> SELL

Roland jv 2080: it is a small bread and butter classic. But: it has no special synthesis features which the XF can't replace and best. --> SELL

In the end,

you could have:

a) very final setup

Yamaha XF
Korg prophecy

as a ultimate setup (very good. Once you recover from the XF blood loss, a small real analogue, say a 200/300 bucks analogue mono module, would bring you to a very complete palette)

b) intermediate setup

yamaha XF
prophecy
triton
roland jv

with the last two synths "keeping you warm", in a linus-blanket way, until you translate their sounds into the xf (remember you can load old roland and akai samples into the xf with little time spent on the internet, on the phone with friends and "x-treme sample converter". I am doing the maneuver with my kurzweil pc3k and the old korg m1, t3, EMU etc: I am WAY covered with 90s rompler sounds).

I'd say: try b) for a few weeks, a month, then jump into a).
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozy View Post
Considering that the XF can load samples of both the korg and roland romplers, I'd say:

korg X5D ---> GO! Objectively a mediocre synth. It's Ai2, but in a hugely scaled-down version.

triton: on the contrary, it has the full Korg flavour of those years. It has personality --> keep, with reservations (i.e.: evaluate if selling AFTER you got AND MASTERED the yamaha XF).

Prophecy --> KEEP! Objectively a unique synth. No way the XF can produce those sounds.

DX7: why is it there? Specific reasons? Sounds you use a lot, you love especially? If you can't answer quickly --> SELL

Roland jv 2080: it is a small bread and butter classic. But: it has no special synthesis features which the XF can't replace and best. --> SELL

In the end,

you could have:

a) very final setup

Yamaha XF
Korg prophecy

as a ultimate setup (very good. Once you recover from the XF blood loss, a small real analogue, say a 200/300 bucks analogue mono module, would bring you to a very complete palette)

b) intermediate setup

yamaha XF
prophecy
triton
roland jv

with the last two synths "keeping you warm", in a linus-blanket way, until you translate their sounds into the xf (remember you can load old roland and akai samples into the xf with little time spent on the internet, on the phone with friends and "x-treme sample converter". I am doing the maneuver with my kurzweil pc3k and the old korg m1, t3, EMU etc: I am WAY covered with 90s rompler sounds).

I'd say: try b) for a few weeks, a month, then jump into a).
Nice approach, current state, future state AND transition plan! Are you an enterprise architect by any chance?
ozy
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cixelsyd View Post
Are you an enterprise architect by any chance?
tank commander turned instructor and sport coach (and coaching WOMEN)

so, while dodging RPGs and managing PMSs , I spent some decades organizing chaotic things, yes
23rd September 2012
Old 23rd September 2012
Gear interested

Sell everything on your list. I am not telling you anything that I myself would not do. When I bought my XF some time ago I sold a few synths to fund the purchase and to make space in my studio. The only problem I see with buying an XF right now is this workstation is far into its lifecycle.

A good action plan would be to gradually sell everything on your list before Black Friday. Then wait and see if Yamaha announces a new workstation during NAMM in January. If not, you should be able to get a sizeable discount on the XF during the latter half of January when business is very slow after the holidays.
maestro
24th March 2013
Old 24th March 2013
Gear addict

Thanks all for advice so far. I've sold

Korg Prophecy
Korg X5D
Roland JV2080

and kept Yamaha DX7s & Korg Triton Classic

Would love to buy 1 or 2 great synths, possibly one workstation. I know Musikmesse will happen soon but wondering what are the best sounding options (i can't really get access to synths to try out). I love the sound of analog but I know most are not reliable on stage.

Any Solaris owners by the way?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search