Trying to replicate this.
New Reply
Subscribe
RawStateSystem
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear interested

Trying to replicate this.

Hey, this is Raw state System this is my first time posting here in Gearslutz, I'm a bit of a novice(but not a complete noob) when it comes too creating Synth patches, I have a basic understanding of most synths but I haven't been able to break the mold when getting down to replicating other sounds.

A bass arp I've really liked the sound of from this track:

Haujobb - Letting The Demons Sleep (Nightmare) - YouTube

Has really caught my attention.

And in this one:

HAUJOBB | Dead Market [official video] - YouTube

Any suggestions of what I could do, a short guide? Anything that could help me out. Thanks in advance.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

My Studio

Start with telling us what kind of synths/plugins you have at your disposal.

The first isn't really difficult to make. In the second (also not that difficult) the screeching sounds add most of the atmosphere, the bass not so much.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear interested

Alright well, I don't suppose you've ever heard of Ableton Live's Analog and Operator? Any tips? Thanks for the reply, real awesome of you.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

My Studio

Yes, but since I only have the regular version of Live I really haven't done anything with 'm - to use either requires me to re-start in demo mode (which means I can't save patches).

Anyway, for nr.1: if it's the bass arp starting at 2:02, take a single oscillator, square wave, choose lowpass filter, turn resonance up slightly (say, 20% or so), enable keytracking for the filter cutoff, and turn the filter cutoff up or down until the resonance gives the desired effect. (my suspicion is that they re-used the sound before 2:02 where it just plays a static note). The difference is that with the arp, filter envelope modulation is also enabled; choose for ADSR something like 0 40% 0 0, and adjust the modulation amount to taste.

For number two, a quickly repeated sample of a bass guitar would also work (faster than full instructions on how to make a bass guitar-like sound); if you have Live's Suite version, then you also have Tension (physical modeling for string instruments) - choose a bass guitar patch in there, and sample a single note. Load that audio file in Simpler and switch Simpler to monophonic mode and set velocity to zero (so each note is equally loud). Throw a 16th note Arpeggiator device on it (no octave/note jumping required) and hold down a single note.
RawStateSystem
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear interested

Excellent, that's been a real eye openner. Can't thank you enough! Been doing some fine tuning, everything is going really well.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search