Subscribe
digital 1010
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Art Bleek

Anyone digging Art Bleek ?

His new album 'The Time' sounds amazingly fat and is exactly the sound I'd love to hear coming back from my own stuff.

I'd almost give my right nut to get such a big sound that still sounds so warm and punchy.

I'm sure his stuff is splattered in hardware and sounds especially moogy in places.

Any info as the Internet seems rather lacking about his stuff

Ben
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012

Yeah I dig it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Ar38ITZEg
I'd say; quality front end, nice synths and drummachines, some things recorded with mics obviously, high quality reverb, could very well be ITB mixing though..

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

digital 1010
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yeah I dig it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Ar38ITZEg
I'd say; quality front end, nice synths and drummachines, some things recorded with mics obviously, high quality reverb, could very well be ITB mixing though..
Yeh sounds about right mate. Sounds expensive in the right places.

Seems all my favourite artists have that kind of set up and it's very noticeable to me when you hear the final article. I have nothing against all itb or all otb but I seem to favour the most expensive setup it seems which is. Pain in the ass haha

I love his drum programming especially, has a really lazy groove which I guess stems from his jazzy influences.

Top stuff

Ben
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012

The more I listen to it, the more I think most of his stuff is actually played live. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he used ribbons on those horns. Sweet jazzy sound.
He does understand an EDM groove though...
Yeah... "blessed" with expensive taste. It's a curse I tell you.
Reamping and then record with a ribbon, and then some post processing with good clean reverb would get you a long way. Doesn't have to be mega expensive.
digital 1010
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
The more I listen to it, the more I think most of his stuff is actually played live. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he used ribbons on those horns. Sweet jazzy sound.
He does understand an EDM groove though...
Yeah... "blessed" with expensive taste. It's a curse I tell you.
Reamping and then record with a ribbon, and then some post processing with good clean reverb would get you a long way. Doesn't have to be mega expensive.
hmmm you know after my recent about turn after selling all my setup and going fully ITB and realising it was a BIG mistake I'm wanting to go much more hybrid than ITB im looking at ordering the following items

Moog Minitaur
Prophet 8 (had a mopho which i liked and wish it was polyphonic and although like the look of the x4 dont need keys)
Access virus snow
Steinberg mr816x (sold and apogee ensemble recently but cant afford one of them and at £470 the steinberg looks the best bang for buck)

Thinking about it i wonder if i should drop the virus as i have omnisphere and properly map it to my novation controller and spend that on a decent pre or something like an la610mk2 or change my glue plugin for a proper hardware comp like an expresser or tk audio piece.

Ben
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012

I'm testing a MOTU 828 mk2, that's another option (instead of the Steinberg one)
That would give you control over outboard through Silent Way or Volta, over outboard (and bypass midi) that seems to be the modern hybrid, if you've not yet invested in midi yet.
i'm even considering selling my Expert Sleepers ES-3 panel if that works out.
a preamp or better yet, DI, will go a long way if you use outboard. otoh a preamp you can use with microphones (and a real hi-hat) will get you closer to that jazz sound than any sample.
no experience with the Minitaur, but looks like a solid choice, not too expensive and a solid bass.

ok, gotta run, got some fish to score on the market.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search