Subscribe
uli80
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear interested

Stuttering effect that goes higher and faster

Hey fellas, i have a little question:

I want to make a sound like this:

the sound is at 6:37, there's a sample looping faster and faster until it's becomes a new sound.

I tried to do this with Kontakt by looping a small part of a sample, but i didn't manage to get the speed be that fast.
I use Cubase by the way...

how can I make this sound?

thanks a lot!
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uli80 View Post
Hey fellas, i have a little question:

I want to make a sound like this:

the sound is at 6:37, there's a sample looping faster and faster until it's becomes a new sound.

I tried to do this with Kontakt by looping a small part of a sample, but i didn't manage to get the speed be that fast.
I use Cubase by the way...

how can I make this sound?

thanks a lot!
Lou
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lou
Gear Head

Take the delay knob and crank (automate) the milliseconds knob down. Used to do this all the time with a Pioneer efx-500
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

Automate the loop end point closer to the start.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

Can't listen to the clip right now, but from the description it sounds like a tape delay effect where the delay time is continuously decreased while possibly increasing feedback. Does the pitch shift upwards as well? I'll have to take a listen later to confirm.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear addict

You could achieve this with absynth, using one of its sample based oscillators and loading whatever sound you choose, choose the loop point of the sample, I.e. where the sample begins and ends, and modulate the loop speed with an envelope.

Pretty easy really.

Edit, or you could just automate the speed..
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou View Post
Take the delay knob and crank (automate) the milliseconds knob down. Used to do this all the time with a Pioneer efx-500
Yeap, exactly this.. right at the last note/sound crank the feedback so it goes on endlessly and then automate the delay time so it starts ramping down. You'll notice the pitch rising as this happens.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear Guru

My Studio

Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with your analysis of the technique, but Kontakt's probably the worst choice for this; Ableton Live's Simpler makes it really easy, because it allows you to automate the loop point position. I even managed to crash Kontakt in the process of moving the loop points, and it doesn't do so fluidly either.

However, since you have Cubase, you'll have to find an alternative - Vember Audio ShortCircuit 1.1.2 is nice (and free!), but I've tried to find a way to automate the loop position, and it didn't work. So, if you don't mind manually moving the position with the mouse, then you can achieve this result (see attachment).
Attached Images
File Type: png loop_point.png (54.6 KB, 195 views)
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 loop_point.mp3 (257.1 KB, 62 views)
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear interested

Thank you very much people!

I found that the delay method works very good (with a good delay plugin).
Yoozer, I'll try your method too, sounds good!

I'm really glad i found this forum, a lot of people and knowledge.
Thanks again! (:
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

you have to add more modulators in Kontakt to double even triple the amount of speed you get, also turning off 'lag' will give you the matrix style effect when the speed gets really fast, 'lag' is interpolation of the samples at each new speed, more=smoother, which you dont want...

or you can use timestretch envelopes direct in the arrange page..
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear interested

The sound goes higher because of the latency of decreasing the time between the next sound being triggered. The actual timbre of that sound isn't changing but the speed of the reptition/re-triggering creates a higher pitch as you are hearing less and less of the initial attack. There are a number of ways of achieving the effect as mentioned above. Whether it's delay, sampling it into a drum machine, using a retrigger effect, or increasing loop speed - a little experimentation will give you the results you want. The pitch goes up smoothly in the IM example which means they aren't triggering a pattern that goes 2x 4x 8x etc or you would hear the pitch jump as the speed switches. You need a way of increasing the speed of the loop evenly. You hear this effect a lot in live sets by button pusher DJs that use dblue Glitch or Izotope Stutter etc.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to systematika Send a message via MSN to systematika Send a message via Skype™ to systematika
They probably didn't but I use trackers for all sorts of this type of strange sample mangling. Dblue is actually an oldie tracker and codes for the Renoise team now. In fact, the funny thing is Glitch originally started out as an inside joke for all of the tracker musicians laughing at people who don't glitch by hand with step based automation, sample retriggers, etc which is easy as pie if you know the commands and can do addition/subtraction in 0-9 and a-f.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

This is basically the same effect SHM did with their track ONE. There are quite a few tutorials on youtube explaining the technique.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Gear addict

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search