Login / Register

yamaha motif roland fantom
New Reply
Subscribe
nznexus
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

yamaha motif roland fantom

yamaha motif xs...roland fantom G..

are the synths still useful?

and how does them compare to kontakt5 stock sounds... with komplete ultimate, will you outperform motif&fantom?
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Gear interested

Workstations are still useful when matched to the proper user who prefers hardware. But this is not the time to buy a Motif or Fantom unless you are getting a good deal on a used one. You mentioned the Motif XS in your post. I am not sure if you know the current model is the XF. The Motif XF and the Fantom G are far into their lifecycle. A replacement could be announced at any time.

A major problem with owning a workstation is the built-in sequencer requires more effort than a DAW, and you do not get the same precision while editing. As a former XF owner, I understand why users prefer sequencing with Cubase or another DAW instead of the XF sequencer. Navigating the menus within the XF takes too much time compared to what one can do with software.

Having owned several workstations, I cannot imagine buying another one due to the power and flexibility offered by small synths and software-based solutions. With the price of workstations approaching $4,000 USD Roland and Yamaha would have to release something really special for me to buy a high-end product.
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

There are plenty of great deals on used workstations, which if you are a heavy keys user, still offer some of the best keybeds esp. on 76- and 88-key models ...

I've also found when recording, it's sometimes convenient to use the on-board sequencer ...

I also think workstations can offer a level of inspiration that can be complimentary to a computer-based DAW ...
nznexus
21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

yes, but how does a real workstation like motif compare to a sampler like kontakt?

here is a interesting video

21st September 2012
Old 21st September 2012
Lives for gear

I have an XS-8. I didn't buy it or would have bought it as a first choice, obtained it through work.

I prefer it to something like Kontakt because of the workflow. I don't really like working with Kontakt or similar, the UI's are a little obtuse for my taste.

Sounds, I dunno, I haven't heard many stock libraries that are that much better, but that doesn't mean the Motif sounds are amazing or anything. I mostly use it for pianos and strings, those are good, and as a master controller because of the semi-weighted keys, also nice.

What I don't like: the master clock is not that solid. I agree with what was said about the sequencer. I sequence it with other hardware. The arpeggiator blows. Effects are better ITB. Aftertouch is not that sensitive.

Even though it is my least favorite board in the studio, people who visit seem to always impressed by it more than the others.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012

also see here Why aren't workstations obsolete yet?

(thanks Nightmorph for the tip, appreciated!)

personally, I'm switching beween a workstation type thing (EMU Command station & MPC1000 controlling other synths, samplers) and the DAW which has control over the same synths and samplers.
it's a bit of a double setup. so I'll have to weed out the duality sometime.
the most important difference is the "feel" of it. the DAW offers massive control, oversight. But that may sometimes distract from trying to make simple musical ideas work.
no one ever said a violin is too simple. (well not that I know of) It's a violin. That's how I see hardware workstations. As a standalone music instrument.

cheers

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

k26
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
k26
Gear Head

One thing I like about working inside the built-in sequencer is because somehow it adds color to the sound, whereas, if I were to record one at a time inside a daw, I lose the color. I don't know why. I'm used to do it all inside the sequencer then resampling it. It sounds good. Don't underestimate the built in effects.
22nd September 2012
Old 22nd September 2012
Lives for gear

i'm very impressed with the supernatural engine on the jupiter80, jupiter50 and the integra 7....not heard Kontact, yamaha or kronos sound that good in a demo

logic pro 9, roland sh-01, minibrute, nanozwerg, volca bass, arturia jp8V and semV, blofeld electribe, korg ddd1 and yamaha rx5
12th October 2012
Old 12th October 2012
Lives for gear

You can use hardware or software synths. Does not matter much. Stargate have been using sounds directly from their Motifs and Fanthoms for their whole career.
It has so much more to do with what you play and what sounds you select. And how you filter them, EQ them and compress them.
Use the patches that you like. Where they come from matters little.
I have an 88 Fanthom X-8.
But I mostly use it as a midi controller
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to JBlongz
Hey didn't think my video would show up here . Stay tuned for an Omnisphere and Trilian Demo...the best Synth and Bass modules on the market.
roc
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
roc
Lives for gear

It's amazing to me how many people have know idea how dope the Motif XF really is . The sum of all it's parts will smoke any DAW IMHO and if thats not good enough how about the firewire card that sends 16 channels with no conversion straight to your DAW not to mention the Wifi , Flash , articulations , thousands of arps , flash , wireless ipad editor and recorder and ableton like sequencer in pattern mode !
O did I mention that it sounds warm as hell also !

The key to the Motif is to take the time to learn it and find out what thousands of pro's already know .
The Motif is built with one goal in mind and that's to get you to complete pro quality songs easily .
So please keep playing with your DAWs , my album will be out soon while your doing so .

BTW what software did the Beatles use agin ?
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Gear nut

I think its amazing that you have no idea what better alternatives exist. Lets go throught the feature list you just mentioned:

Flash: Still very small compared to an SSD of the same price.
Articulations: Have you played or heard anything from EastWest Quantum Leap??
Arps: Omnisphere has tons of arps that are easier to edit and expand
Ableton-like sequencer: There is NOTHING like Ableton's Live sequencer except the upcoming Bitwig, which was created by former Ableton engineers. If you've used Motif sequencer extensively enough, you'll notice it gets laggy when returning to the first count..especially for heavy sequences.
Warm: Matter of EQ and dynamics. I like to choose my particular warmth, rather than have the same feel for every track.

What about Omnisphere and Trilian??Have you heard Symphobia, AudioBro Strings, or Damage for Kontakt??. If the answer is no, you haven't done enough homework.

I'd also like to add that I owned every major keyboard/module: Yamaha W7, Motif (ES,XS,XF), Fantom (2080, 5080, FantomX), Korg Triton, Oasys (still have), Kronos (returned that Sh*t).
roc
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
roc
Lives for gear

You forgot to mention load time , memory and freezes and the underestimated value in feeling .

The Motif is a instrument with real time control and solid robustness in it's operating system .
It's whole goal is for you to get inspired and get an idea down quickly and easily.

If the whole computer , DAW , control surface thing works for you thats great but good luck if you ever have to go perform live .

BTW what software did The Beatles use agin ?
15th October 2012
Old 15th October 2012
Gear nut

Not sure why people argue about things like this so much. Motifs and good software synths, sound really good. You cant go wrong either way, and the "audience" "fans", will never hear the difference. It comes down to your workflow, and how you like working. I've always liked the idea of sitting down in front of one keyboard and being able to make full tracks, without ever turning on a computer or my MPC (if I dont feel like it)

And to the OP, of coarse new workstations are still useful, shit even old ones like Korg M1, are still used by ALOT of people. To me, anything that makes sound can be useful, and remember workstations are also synthesizers. You can make your own sounds. Endless possibilities.
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nznexus View Post
yamaha motif xs...roland fantom G..

are the synths still useful?

and how does them compare to kontakt5 stock sounds... with komplete ultimate, will you outperform motif&fantom?
no they are no longer useful komplete came up with all new proprietary string, piano, guitar sounds that render motifs and fantoms useless......come on...yes they are useful its just all in the hands of the end user who has skill to produce good material on komplete, fantoms, motifs, korgs its all the same just takes production skill to make the production good.
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Gear nut

I should clarify that I'm not against hardware. I just promote software because its a better bang for buck. If you have lots of cash, get it all. If you're on a budget, you can buy a decent computer and plugins and still have left over cash to explore other gear and make multiple uses of your computer (video editing, web coding, sound design, etc). Don't spend $2500 on a Keyboard workstation if that is your entire budget...unless thats what you NEED for live shows or a gig that pays.
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Lives for gear

I enjoy having a Motif and other hardware romplers around because quite often I just want to sit down at my keyboard rig and play. Actually, I play/improvise/compose almost every evening, and it's great to be able to do this, playing around with various sounds, without having to boot up my DAW and do any fiddling around with software instruments and whatnot. And with a hardware instrument I don't have to worry about latency or CPU load.

No doubt this is a bit of a personal preference, and the fact that I grew up playing hardware instruments, and that I am more of a player than a composer.

I am not familiar with the latest and greatest Kontakt instruments, but find that the Motif, Fantom, and Korg rompler sound libraries are very advanced at this point. In particular I have always been taken with the Motifs, finding that its sounds work very well with one another in the mix.
Synth videos on YouTube
4th November 2012
Old 4th November 2012
Gear maniac

its all personal preference...i actually use both hardware and soft synths...and none of my fans can tell a difference
13th November 2012
Old 13th November 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBlongz View Post
Hey didn't think my video would show up here . Stay tuned for an Omnisphere and Trilian Demo...the best Synth and Bass modules on the market.
I preferred the sound of the motif more often than kontakt on your video
13th November 2012
Old 13th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtraGarlic View Post
Not sure why people argue about things like this so much. Motifs and good software synths, sound really good. You cant go wrong either way
Exactly
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search