Microkorg xl+ vs novation mininova
New Reply
Subscribe
lfabila
11th September 2012
Old 11th September 2012
Gear interested

Microkorg xl+ vs novation mininova

Hey, Im gonna buy one of these synths when it comes out, love the microkorg and can see that novation has pumped its little synth to try and topple the mkxl+ but I'm just wondering if it's a case of quality over quantity?
Opinions?
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Gear interested

Hi Fella,

After reading your post, I assume two important factors. Either it's a space saving thing, or maybe your going for the portability? In which case, both synths offer one or both of this. I've kind of had experience with the Microkorg, in the form of the MS2000. Here's my honest opinion:

In truth, you couldn't go wrong with either! The Microkorg is tried and tested. As a huge fan and owner of the MS2000, for me it would just work. The Mininova appears to follow the same kind of small factor and coolness as the Microkorg, whilst offering a few more interesting features. However, if I was in your situation, for me it would be a little bitter sweet. Here’s why:

When news of the Mininova first appeared, the first thing I did was checked out it's specs. After reading about it and feeling impressed, I could not help but then feel a little disappointed, after failing to find the magic ‘b’ word, yep you got it - batteries (dunno if I skipped over something, but no sign of that word - can someone confirm this?) Oddly, it’s a feature I’d personally look for first with something like this.

That means, if I wanted to buy the Mininova to take out and about with me, I’d need to take my laptop (for usb power) or be near some power supply! With the Microkorg, I could flip it into a cute carry bag and gig anywhere I wanted without anything else, well, except for some form of monitoring of course! (I’m the kind of guy who would take the microkorg to some random field and just sit and absorb some inspiration) but I’m just a geek...

On the other hand, if I wanted a different sound, newer features, and just wanted to be different, the Mininova would be a yes. It looks cute and interesting. I have experience with the K-station way back, and can confirm Novation is a great and quality company. For me though, that lack of battery power is a little nag! Hmmm ^_^
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Gear interested

PS: I do acknowledge that in fact you was referring to the XL which is based on something else, not the MS2000, my bad, but the battery concept stays the same ^_^
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

I'd get the Mininova as its a newer synth engine and appears to have more modern features such as the touch sensitive interface and flexible synth architecture that allows you layer up to 5 effects including Pre filter distortion. You also get more voices of polyphony that's 18 voices as opposed to the Microkorg's 8.

To the Microkorg Xl+'s credit it appears to come with sampled pianos, keys and organs. I have no idea how good they are.
19th September 2012
Old 19th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmoog View Post
Hi Fella,

After reading your post, I assume two important factors. Either it's a space saving thing, or maybe your going for the portability? In which case, both synths offer one or both of this. I've kind of had experience with the Microkorg, in the form of the MS2000. Here's my honest opinion:

In truth, you couldn't go wrong with either! The Microkorg is tried and tested. As a huge fan and owner of the MS2000, for me it would just work. The Mininova appears to follow the same kind of small factor and coolness as the Microkorg, whilst offering a few more interesting features. However, if I was in your situation, for me it would be a little bitter sweet. Here’s why:

When news of the Mininova first appeared, the first thing I did was checked out it's specs. After reading about it and feeling impressed, I could not help but then feel a little disappointed, after failing to find the magic ‘b’ word, yep you got it - batteries (dunno if I skipped over something, but no sign of that word - can someone confirm this?) Oddly, it’s a feature I’d personally look for first with something like this.

That means, if I wanted to buy the Mininova to take out and about with me, I’d need to take my laptop (for usb power) or be near some power supply! With the Microkorg, I could flip it into a cute carry bag and gig anywhere I wanted without anything else, well, except for some form of monitoring of course! (I’m the kind of guy who would take the microkorg to some random field and just sit and absorb some inspiration) but I’m just a geek...

On the other hand, if I wanted a different sound, newer features, and just wanted to be different, the Mininova would be a yes. It looks cute and interesting. I have experience with the K-station way back, and can confirm Novation is a great and quality company. For me though, that lack of battery power is a little nag! Hmmm ^_^
The old Microkorg was based on the MS2000. But the newer model, the XL is based on the Radius and R3 architecture.
20th September 2012
Old 20th September 2012
Gear addict

even tho im a HUGE microkorg fan id buy the mininova cuz of the "fx" buttons it has.. and with the flip of a switch the fx buttons turn into an arp. it also has real cool software to control it while the microkorg xl+ software sucks.
3 Days Ago
Old 3 Days Ago
Gear interested

Would a USB battery pack work? If that's the main issue with the mininova?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search