Here are the tracks! Rules are: no adding new tracks! Thats it. Process and mix all you want! Id love to hear other people give different versions of the same sounds! You can slice up the tracks and create samples as a bonus. All of the sounds are recorded through the UAD Studer at 7.5ips for that lo fi sound.
Well let me start off by saying I thought I was being cool and ran all the tracks through a UAD studer at 7.5ips for a super low bit sound. Ended up making the samples sound terrible and hard to mix.Personally I think my mix is horrible I didnt spend much time, even though it looks like a lot. .With that said...
1. I SET THE VOLUMES -OBV
2. kick -UAD LEX 224, API 550B eq with a low pass filer with just a hint of highs. Followed by UAD la 2a.
3. rimshot- sent to Lex 224 reverb, low in the mix
4.toms- sent to lex 224, low in the mix
5. cabasa-ran through waves metaflanger, then equed with API 560 eq was bandpassed
6. claps- Uad lex 224,uad ll76,waves s1 imager, api 560 bandpassed, Uad mxr flanger. In that order
7. snare- API 560 high passed, Uad LEX 224, Waved ClA 3A, Noise gated 80s style
8. hihats- API 560 high passed
9. Drum buss-Waves SSL eq- added some mids, subtracted some highs and lo mids.
10. Master buss-SSL comp with the mastering preset, then i added more makeup. Then UAD studer at 15ips.
cut them up! just dont add anything new. We wanna stick with these sounds. Have fun! Yes insert on all but rimshot and toms. God I love this. Same pattern so many different ways to make it sound. Clever stinky fingers!
alright had a go at this, mind you im on summer holiday with no proper monitoring just a laptop and headphones. files sounded muddy so had to crank ozone settings quite a bit to get punch back.. hope i didn't go overboard
Ok so the samples were too dirty for me (sorry!) so i went ahead and created and mixed a beat using my own LM-1 samples. Quick mix, would have usually did a second pass after a smoke break but here is the first version:
Let me see if I can remember everything, it won't be much use since this is all hardware patched together quickly: Channel EQ on heavily customized console for every track, modified SSL comp on the kick then passive EQ, passive EQ then 1176 for the snare (I think I also clipped the input on the console afterwards on both kick and snare), vari-mu on the toms, tube-opto comp for the sidestick, sends on various channels go to a dimension D and two Lexicon 300's (one plate algo for the long pre-delayed reverb and the other an ambience), another customized SSL comp for the master bus and from there pretty hot to a telefunken m15 tape recorder, then AD converter, and a lot of limiter in reaper. Overkill.