Login / Register

Need helping picking a synth! Blofeld or Mopho?
New Reply
Subscribe
Wizardfight
1st August 2012
Old 1st August 2012
Gear interested

Need helping picking a synth! Blofeld or Mopho?

Hi guys i have done some research into getting a synth, Im strapped for cash so id like to cover most everything in one board so i dont get bored. I plan on adding a analog synth later on down the road regardless. Now i dont have much experience with synths. My ex had an old roland and i use to play with that thing all this time. So im not completely stupid on a set up. But its been years since then. I play allot of drone type stuff and when im not doing that ive always enjoyed playing around with industrial sounds for fun. Im in love with the wardolf blofeld and really like the mopho and plan to buy one sooner or later. But i love to tinker and tweek it keeps me busy, I like the looks of the mini brute and the sound/ capabilities, But for now i need the bang for your buck will do allot and keep me busy with tons of capabilities. Im just curious if the blofeld will be easy to tweek and learn how to create sounds with it? I was gonna try and find a used GAIA and was dead set on it for the tweaking abilities i love all those knobs being there, but im not in love with the sound like i am the blofeld. The gaia sounds great it gets a bad rap, but its not the sounds i need right now. If im going up that high in the price range i might as well look at the board i really love the sound of and thats obviously the blofeld. I feel it would give me more what i need right now compared to the Mopho being only one voice but a badas voice i may add. So could i learn to use this thing fairly easy? I wish it had tons of knobs
1st August 2012
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

I'd go for the Blofeld first - it's more versatile and will give you a far wider range than the Mopho.

Apart from polyphony, it has more filters, wavetables (inc user), a surprisingly decent FM implementation, can import your own samples

Nearly all parameters are cc-mappable so you can control it from a MIDI keyboard or knob box. There's also a working VST editor which will give you a clear overview of the synth's architecture and make it much easier to program using the matrix alone.
1st August 2012
Old 1st August 2012
Gear maniac

Blofeld.

Mopho (the one without the keyboard) is very annoying to program without a computer.

I´m not 1000% happy with build quality and basic sound of the Blofeld. But for the price it´s great, especially if you likethe sound anyway.

And yes, for the brutal/strange sounds it´s still one of the best boxes out there. I do prefer the Evolver for "nasty" stuff, but it´s probably beyond your price range and a mono synth.
Wizardfight
1st August 2012
Old 1st August 2012
Gear interested

Thanks guys so whats up with the little version of the keyboard evolver? Its in the same price range, Do you think the blofeld will be easy to learn/ program being pretty much a beginner? Im gasing so hard for a minibrute too.
1st August 2012
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardfight View Post
Thanks guys so whats up with the little version of the keyboard evolver? Its in the same price range, Do you think the blofeld will be east to learn/ program being pretty much a beginner? Im gassing so hard for a minibrute too.
Aside from the Blofeld, everything you've mentioned is a mono synth - ie., can only play one note at a time, no chords. If you want to cover as much ground as possible, the Blofeld is going to be your default choice out of what you've mentioned. It's very versatile, and should do well at the kind of sounds you're into - drone/industrial stuff. It's not the easiest thing to learn to program, but not the hardest either. This is a very cool example of what it's capable of:

An Evolver is also quite good at industrial stuff, but you'll want to get that after you've got the polyphonic end of things covered, I'd think.
Wizardfight
1st August 2012
Old 1st August 2012
Gear interested

See that video is just making me want it more
You are right though ill cover more ground then by a mini brute next for all my tweaking analog needs. Im liking the minibrute sounds more than the mopho i refuse to buy a moog until i have gotten really good. Thanks for all your help guys
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear Head

definitely get the Blofeld, it really isn't that difficult to learn to program, even though you're scrolling through menus they're logically organized and the large display makes it easy to see what you're actually doing. can't comment on the MoPho but have owned a desktop Evolver and the Blofeld is way easier and more enjoyable to program. definitely well-suited for drone and industrial sounds, mainly how I use mine
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear addict

Dave smith announced the Mopho X4 aka Tetra Keyboard today. 1299. Looks nice and sounds as expected

Sent from my iPad HD
Wizardfight
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear interested

Squirrel I heard about that new mopho an hour ago. I wish they would make the new mopho with two color options black or yellow or even better the same orange they used in the microwaves. I personally love the lay out but the design is ugly. I liked yellow better ,Im hear to tell ya this synth things has caused more GAS for me than guitars. Now i want a damn Blofeld,Mopho 4,mini brute, PS wish a demo of the new Pulse2 would surface
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Do you need something with a keyboard attached or not?

Judging by the new Mopho 4x, I'd be tempted to get that, then add a Blofeld desktop later. Although the downside of the Mopho 4x is it's only 4 voices, so it would be difficult to play chords + melodies. But on a 44 key keyboard, that might be a challenge anyway.

FWIW, I have both a Blofeld (keyboard version) and a Prophet 08 (same oscs, filter, etc as the Mopho and Tetra synths). They are completely different synths. Blofeld is definitely more versatile. But it's very digital sounding. OTOH, the DSI synths (Prophet, Tetra, Mopho) are analog, but with a very distinctive but more limited sound. Can't go wrong with either, imho.

Two more comments on the Blofeld:

1) It is surprisingly easy to use despite only 4 programming knobs. The advantage is the large LCD which gives nice visual feedback for things like oscs and filters.
2) It has a reputation for being buggy. In the year-and-a-half I've own mine, I've had some gitches including freeze-ups, but nothing Earth-shattering. Apparently people have had good success using the latest beta firmware (v1.16). I'm still using v1.13.
Wizardfight
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear interested

Yeah i need a keyboard, The blofeld and mophox4 are at the top of the list. So much so i want both of them. But i may just go one route or the other and add a desktop. I want to wait and hear more demos or try the new mopho before deciding. Im in love with the blofeld sound very much so. But i also want to add the mopho for analog goodness.
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

I've got a Blofeld DT as well as a Mopho DT.

The Blofeld DT is actually pretty well laid out, and really easy to program. Haven't felt the need to midi map any of the controls elsewhere. The matrix is laid out much more intuitively than say an Evolver (which I also have).

The Mopho DT on the other hand is a bit of a bitch for sound design. Once you've got your sound, it's layout is good from a performance perspective.

Both sound great but obviously offer very different sounds, and of course mono vs poly. I'd seriously consider both, as I think the one thing that the Blofeld struggles with is decent bass sounds.

Grab both, get a cheap midi keyboard, and you'll be set. Otherwise just grab a Poly Evolver and call it a day

Progs - Reason 7, Live 8
Synths - Minibrute, MoKeys, Prophet 08
Drums - Korg EMX1, MaM ADX1
Guitars - LTD EC100, Hohner L75 Pro, Yamaha RBX375, Custom Upright Bass
Effects - Blackstar HT Dual, Aphex Acoustic Xciter, TCE Flashback, Red Witch Ivy, VFE Blueprint, MI Audio Tubezone, Boss ODB3, SPX 990
Wizardfight
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear interested

I seen that video earlier and i love the sounds. I just want to hear more at this point. Its sounds so great i cant wait to play one in person. I could see getting a tetra or evolver and being set. Well after adding the blofeld too
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Grab both, get a cheap midi keyboard, and you'll be set.
Ugh, no. Cheap MIDI keybeds suck. Actually, MIDI keyboard keybeds tend to suck in general. I'd much rather have the keybed on a DSI keyboard or Blokey. IMHO.
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Gear addict

If you are short it cash and you fancy a monosynth you should definately take a closer look at arturia minibrute.A Full analog little monster at killer price!
2nd August 2012
Old 2nd August 2012
Sub-Dude

Mopho 4 voice is coming.... that would be my choice. Its the Tetra but with a keyboard so a bit easier to deal with and you won't have all that programming crap that comes with a desk top box.
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I've got a Blofeld DT as well as a Mopho DT.

The Blofeld DT is actually pretty well laid out, and really easy to program. Haven't felt the need to midi map any of the controls elsewhere. The matrix is laid out much more intuitively than say an Evolver (which I also have).
Just curious, how is the Blofeld and the bugs I keep reading about?
I have seen a few around for cheap, but keep reading about the issues.
Have they been dealt with via firmware updates?
Very unique sounding synth. Quite lovely actually.
Ibanez Artcore A85 JazzBox, Ibanez SZR720BB, 1989 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 1981 Gibson ES-335, 1986 Fender JapStrat.
Effects:
Roland RE-201 Space Echo, MXR Carbon Copy Delay, MXR Analog Stereo Chorus, Digitech RP-1000 MFX
Amps: Fender HR Deluxe 112, Peavey KB100
Recording:
Zoom HD16 Hardware Recorder, Cubase 5, Yamaha HS50m Monitors
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
I was concerned before I bought mine, but honestly, I haven't had a single problem, has been completely smooth sailing.
Wizardfight
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
I was concerned before I bought mine, but honestly, I haven't had a single problem, has been completely smooth sailing.
I heard the same that it was addressed and fixed with an update.
That blofeld is very unique and is the reason why i want it to be my first new synth
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
Aside from the Blofeld, everything you've mentioned is a mono synth - ie., can only play one note at a time, no chords. If you want to cover as much ground as possible, the Blofeld is going to be your default choice out of what you've mentioned. It's very versatile, and should do well at the kind of sounds you're into - drone/industrial stuff. It's not the easiest thing to learn to program, but not the hardest either. This is a very cool example of what it's capable of:

An Evolver is also quite good at industrial stuff, but you'll want to get that after you've got the polyphonic end of things covered, I'd think.
Sounds almost DX7ish in this demo. Very glassy sounding.
Polar opposite of the MoPho
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSquirrel View Post
Dave smith announced the Mopho X4 aka Tetra Keyboard today. 1299. Looks nice and sounds as expected

Sent from my iPad HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye View Post
Mopho 4 voice is coming.... that would be my choice. Its the Tetra but with a keyboard so a bit easier to deal with and you won't have all that programming crap that comes with a desk top box.
Where did you guys see this announcement?. Cheers.
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry I was searching for a Tetra keyboard, the Mopho 4 voice got me there thanks.
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
With version 1.16 B2 of the firmware things are very stable. Midi clocking works well and I have not had any random lockups. The encoders are not jumpy at all anymore. When I first got it I would never have recommended it for live use but now it is solid.

If you get a Blofeld that does not have the latest firmware then the best way to update it is to download the firmware from Waldorf along with the free Spectre application and use that to update the firmware. WAY more reliable/easier to use than your DAW or MidiOx. Waldorf should have clearly documented this in the manual but they didn't.
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Gear nut

Another vote for the Blofeld. It's no saint when it comes to bugs, but if you save often (i.e. any major sound changes you make) it's a fairly solid synth. I've only ever had it freeze up when using the category filter, so now I just don't use it.

If you are not interested in the wavetables or SL options and want it purely for it's VA, consider the Q. Similar engine, cleaner/brighter sound and (as far as I could tell) bug free.

I kept the Blofeld because I found it easier to program over the Q, which makes no sense I know...
3rd August 2012
Old 3rd August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizardfight View Post
I seen that video earlier and i love the sounds. I just want to hear more at this point.
The guy who made it is a big Blofeld fan. He's got 2 other crazy demos up:

5th August 2012
Old 5th August 2012
Lives for gear

+1 on the Blofeld. I picked up a Blofeld keyboard and a Virus TI Desktop. At first, I favoured the Virus. But after the (short) honeymoon period, I have decided that the Virus isn't for me.
I shall be looking to replace the Virus with either a MoPho kb or the MiniBrute I reckon (will depend on arp' options IMO).

Just a note if you're planning to use the Blofeld on a Windows Vista based PC (rare nowadays but worth mentioning IMO): Vista has 'issues' with Sysex making it harder to update or transfer to/from your Blofeld (but not impossible).
5th August 2012
Old 5th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlutButtMcNabb View Post
Another vote for the Blofeld. It's no saint when it comes to bugs, but if you save often (i.e. any major sound changes you make) it's a fairly solid synth. I've only ever had it freeze up when using the category filter, so now I just don't use it.

If you are not interested in the wavetables or SL options and want it purely for it's VA, consider the Q. Similar engine, cleaner/brighter sound and (as far as I could tell) bug free.

I kept the Blofeld because I found it easier to program over the Q, which makes no sense I know...
The category filter bug has definitely been fixed in the latest firmware. If you haven't updated to 1.16 B2 you really should. It is really stable now for me and when I first got it I would crash it constantly.
Wizardfight
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel View Post
The category filter bug has definitely been fixed in the latest firmware. If you haven't updated to 1.16 B2 you really should. It is really stable now for me and when I first got it I would crash it constantly.
Thanks for all of your help, Im saving for the blokey and i will be running macbook pro does anyone know of any software for it?
6th August 2012
Old 6th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
Ugh, no. Cheap MIDI keybeds suck. Actually, MIDI keyboard keybeds tend to suck in general. I'd much rather have the keybed on a DSI keyboard or Blokey. IMHO.
Good Midi keyboards don't suck. You save money if you get the rack Blofeld and a good MIDI keyboard controller you could use for other purposes, too.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search