New Reply
Subscribe
Matt Play
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Gear interested

New Roland MC-909 Owner

Hi.

I just purchased a MC-909. It was very dirty, had been written on and several of the pads weren't working. I opened it up, replaced the pads, cleaned it thoroughly from the inside out and now this thing is like new!

I upgraded the internal RAM with a 256MB card. I also purchased 3 x 128MB SmartMedia cards to work with.

I am beginning to dive into this thing and learn all the ins and outs but have a few questions and hoped some experienced users may offer some tips & tricks.

I am setting this up as a multi-instrument in Logic 9. I will mainly be using this as a sound module. I am hoping to load it up with raw waveforms I have but read that it is not possible to loop the waveform to make it infinite?? Is this the case?

Are we bound to purchasing SRX cards for more solid waveforms? If so, any recommendations of which card for a tech/prog/electro house producer? I am thinking Supreme Dance..

I am currently on firmware 1.20. Should I upgrade to 1.23? The thought of not being able to simultaneously mute several parts is disheartening. Yet machine-gun-mode sounds fun and useful on drums, etc. Do the added presets and machine-gun-mode outweigh the simultaneous mute bug in your opinion?

I was considering loading this with remix stems/loops but am still trying to figure how to load the loop. Do they have to be loaded as a waveform or is there a simpler way to just make a 'part' an audio loop?

Lastly, any other tips for an MC-909 noob?

Thanks!
18th July 2012
Old 18th July 2012
Lives for gear

I love the MC-909, its great for sampling also! I have SRX 08(Platinum Trax) in there.
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Matrix Modulator

You can most definitely loop your own samples, not sure where you got that.
Matt Play
19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Gear interested

Cool greenlights .. what style of music are you making?

asynchro, read that here

I imported a wav sample over USB to the internal memory. Then in a new patch, on tone 1, I set that sample to the L/R channels. I can't find any setting in that window to set the sample to loop. Do the samples have to be prepared differently prior to importing into a tone?
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear interested

Looping samples:

In the sample screen, I think F2 marks "Sample Param" - go to this screen, and the first option is loop mode. To endlessly loop your sample in forward playback mode, select "FWD" Select "REV" to loop the sample endlessly in reverse or backwards.
22nd August 2012
Old 22nd August 2012
Gear addict

Never heard of that looping bug you're referring to, and I've been using my MC909 for about 3 years now. You can definitely set up loops within your samples, and you don't even have to loop the whole sample. Like say you have an acoustic bass note with a cool attack, but you only wanna loop the meaty bass tone in the middle.. no problem, set the loop start & end wherever you want in there. The multi-mute thing, tbh I haven't experienced either but... I tend to slide my finger across the row of mute buttons when I need to kill a bunch of layers at once and that seems to work just fine.

For SRX cards I went with the 07 ultimate keys. It is marketed as lots of organs and EPs and whatnot, which it has plenty of but there are a lot of really nice classic moog, jupiter, and even oberheim waveforms in there too.. It's probably about half synths, and I really like some of them.. they got really beefy synth samples to say the least, plus a whackload of basses and of course the rhodes/hammond/wurly etc which I use a lot. Anyways, I like this card and bought it after doing a lot of research online that said it was the best 'all-rounder' of the SRX cards which I tend to agree with. Just wish this thing could hold two cards cause I really want the world expansion too.

A couple tips for you-- there is a sample converter program on the net somewhere (i think mc909.org or something) that is definitely worth getting. Otherwise if you are importing tons of wave samples you have to individually 'import' them, which takes some time, and also rename them and save them one by one etc etc. In other words--really freaking tedious. With the sample converter you just make a folder on the PC, load it up with wave files, run the program and poof you now have roland format files with the file names coded into the samples in roland format. Drag that folder onto the smartmedia card (or via usb to the MC909), and then reload the memory card on the MC909. If you are working with lots of samples its really the only viable way to do it... I tend to bring in blocks of 100+ samples at a time and I couldn't imagine sitting there manually importing and renaming samples using a fricken jog wheel to scroll through the alphabet, letter by letter.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search