Tangerine Dream On Tour this Summer US and Canada
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Tangerine Dream On Tour this Summer US and Canada

Hey all,
Never seen them live and they are doing some Canada and US dates in Boston and Philly.
Tangerine Dream Full Concert Listings on Songkick | Songkick
Small venues also. Not sure the modulars would even fit on the stage at the Electric Factory!
I hear they are a spectacular show.
Wish Klaus Schulze and Chris Franke.
To trip or not to trip. That is the question.
Have to brush up on their stuff have not listened to much after early 80's.
I'd love top be a fly on the wall in their studio.
What to expect? I hear they don't play actual songs, but blend several classics into one.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Forget anything like TD of the 70s to early 80s. It is just Edgar doing some embarassing digital muzak these days... :(
Old 1st June 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post
Forget anything like TD of the 70s to early 80s. It is just Edgar doing some embarassing digital muzak these days... :(
wasent that the guy that did all the cheasy acoustic guitars on the old tangerine dream tracks?
Old 1st June 2012
Gear maniac

You won't see any big modulars on stage these days. I stopped going to Tangerine Dream Concerts years ago, too much sax, digital synths and a lot of songs rearranged in a way I personally don't like very much.
This is a video from their Berlin Concert a couple of weeks ago. The uploader has some other videos from this show if you are interested.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

^^^^Damn that's a shame.
You are right it does sound and look awful cheesy. Kinda like Yanni. Remember that clown?
No chance for Beach Theme or Movements of a Visionary I guess. Maybe I will just see another Radiohead or Sigur Ros show. Gotta think it over.
Strange with all the old school bands doing nostalgia tours. I kinda like that approach to give the younger generation the best.
Old 1st June 2012
Gear addict

Hey, listening to Yanni taught me how to deep groove in 7/8.

Gonna see TD at Bluesfest in Ottawa regardless. I don't really expect much but a tick on the bucket list.
Old 1st June 2012
Everything they did after '84 is complete and utter garbage, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Just accept you missed the boat.

My suggestion: Buy Logos Live at the Dominion (or Encore if you prefer their 70's sound).

Roll a couple of fat ones or drop a few shrooms. Close your eyes and play extremely loud.

Assuming you have a good sound system I'll bet you enjoy it more than attending a 2012 TD concert.
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
wasent that the guy that did all the cheasy acoustic guitars on the old tangerine dream tracks?
Granted EF isn't the best guitar player in the world but there's nothing cheesy about the guitar parts on Stratosfear.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tun View Post
Everything they did after '84 is complete and utter garbage, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Just accept you missed the boat.

My suggestion: Buy Logos Live at the Dominion (or Encore if you prefer their 70's sound).

Roll a couple of fat ones or drop a few shrooms. Close your eyes and play extremely loud.

Assuming you have a good sound system I'll bet you enjoy it more than attending a 2012 TD concert.
Hahaha I wasn't alive (or too young) to be on the boat.
But to be perfectly honest, the stuff I've been hearing is BRUTAL! Can't believe its the same band.
I am very familiar with them from Atem, Phaedra, Rubicon till the Thief Strk. After that lost touch. My dad was a big fan.
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
Granted EF isn't the best guitar player in the world but there's nothing cheesy about the guitar parts on Stratosfear.
Granted, but this is the exception to the rule: he pretty much kills the first 5 minutes of Ricochet with his dreary playing.

Been listening to a number of mid-70s bootlegs lately (mostly Tangerine Tree stuff: Tangerine Tree - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) that is brilliant - one has a similar opening to Ricochet with less guitar that sounds much more interesting but has awful sound quality. Edgar never should have stopped playing Mellotron, he was a master.

Chris was a brilliant sequencer-ist.

You can find some songs here: Tangerine Dream Bootlegs: No Longer Solely the Province of Stoner Geeks - WFMU's Beware of the Blog

The Reims Cathedral recording is well worth it. Thank me later.
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjporter View Post
Chris was a brilliant sequencer-ist.
Peter Baumann also had a hand in some of TD's sequencing, you just need to listen to his solo albums 'Romance 76' and 'Trans-Harmonic Nights'
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Very cool tj,
Thought this thread was doomed. Those sequences are insane in the early stuff.
There was on story I read that they were having power issues and the Moog basically went berzerk. Can't remember if it was Rubycon, but I think it was in the middle of part 2 because there is serious sequencer madness in that track for sure. Just utterly bananas. Folk lore? Who knows and who cares?
I can't begin to understand how they went about it. I wish there were a TD documentary in English, there is one in German. My mom told me she used to listen to TD's early stuff a lot when I was in the oven so to speak. Well....maybe that explains things!
It's a shame they have devolved into this more recent stuff and guys, you are right it is really bad!

Last edited by verve92; 1st June 2012 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: Cut and paste fiasco
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
There was on story I read that they were having power issues and the Moog basically went berzerk. Can't remember if it was Rubycon, but I think it was in the middle of part 2 because there is serious sequencer madness in that track for sure. Just utterly bananas.
That was Rubycon Part 2, there were power cuts during that time when they were recording the album, every time the power dipped Franke's Moog and Sequencers went out of control playing random sequences.

Edgar Froese stated:
"The biggest problem, however, was the inconstant power supply at the Manor. At the time there were electrical problems throughout the Oxford region and sometimes the power was cut off for two to three hours at a time. We had to interrupt recording sessions when this happened, to connect our synths to electrical generators. Chris' Moog often played completely random sequences because of the unstable electrical current driving the oscillators. It was a crazy situation. When we finished recording there were altogether 12 hours of music from which to mix the final master".

On Phaedra, the depth charge bass notes from Franke's Moog Modular destroyed the studio's monitors, the tape machine broke down and the mixing console failed.

And on Stratosfear, According to Edgar Froese, was the most complicated and nerve-wracking of any TD production, as there were lots of problems with Peter Baumann's new sequencer. Additionally, both of the multi-track machines in the studio broke down, and after their repair the Dolby units in the recording room were defunct, master tapes at times disappeared from the studio, finished tracks were mysteriously erased and the mixing console finally went up in smoke.

Btw: there is also a Nick Mason mix (Pink Floyd) of Invisible Limits.
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
Peter Baumann also had a hand in some of TD's sequencing, you just need to listen to his solo albums 'Romance 76' and 'Trans-Harmonic Nights'
Romance is ok - little laid back for me, haven't heard Nights.

Does anyone know who plays the piano at the beginning of Ricochet Pt. 2? I've always assumed it was Peter, & because of that assumption, that is how I picture him within the group - the guy who was trying to play notes instead of making other-worldly sounds.

Also been listening to Edgar's first solo, Aqua (1974) - worth checking out.

I still listen to a lot of mid-70s TD for one simple reason - for me, it represents what electronic music is all about. That I so deeply love their music from that era makes what happened later all the more painful.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Excellent my memory served.
I am having my first encounter with sequencers in my MEK and trying to figure out if I can get any similar patterns. It seems similar in theory to the old ones, but TD had a way of seamlessly transitioning root notes and sequences like not many others.
Hard to wrap my mind around four 16 step sequencers, let alone one.
Old 1st June 2012
Tried to edit my previous post to add this, but couldn't. Anyway, my feeble attempt to recreate their brilliance:

http://soundcloud.com/tj-porter/kervan

The impatient among you can skip ahead to the 2:30 mark. Main section sequenced with an EA MKII Electribe. Yes, it can be done.
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
Does anyone know who plays the piano at the beginning of Ricochet Pt. 2? I've always assumed it was Peter, & because of that assumption, that is how I picture him within the group - the guy who was trying to play notes instead of making other-worldly sounds.
That was Edgar playing the Grand Piano at the beginning of Ricochet Part 2 and also during the subsequent North American Tour in 77 'Encore' (Monolight)
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Tried to edit my previous post to add this, but couldn't. Anyway, my feeble attempt to recreate their brilliance:

http://soundcloud.com/tj-porter/kervan

The impatient among you can skip ahead to the 2:30 mark. Main section sequenced with an EA MKII Electribe. Yes, it can be done.
Not feeble at all. What did you use for the pad in the beginning and throughout. How many tracks?
Old 1st June 2012
Banned

Quote:
except that there is a guitar in it.. kills it somehow
Old 1st June 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticpark View Post
You won't see any big modulars on stage these days. I stopped going to Tangerine Dream Concerts years ago, too much sax, digital synths and a lot of songs rearranged in a way I personally don't like very much.
This is a video from their Berlin Concert a couple of weeks ago. The uploader has some other videos from this show if you are interested.
oh oh..the modular patches on the screens why they just havent used a poster?.

the fat guy to the right is his son.. and i dont get why they have the other zombys on stage.. the drummer is´nt exactly good... maybe another son?

the tangerine froese band would be a more appropriate name.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

I'm glad I didn't get tix for the Berlin show earlier this year.

All the classic stuff is just backing tracks made up from....

the final mix of the album (ie they just imported Rubycon Pt1 into their DAW for playback) with THE SAME PRESETS THEY'VE BEEN USING SINCE 1986 played over the top.

They stopped being good from 1988 onwards and stayed for ever in rhythmic plinky-plonkiness (with the same sounds sets being used). I really think that Optical Race was their last listenable album and Underwater Sunlight their last consistently good album (maybe with Poland from those tours doing the live thing).

I think there's nothing wrong with a band stopping being creative and just touring their classics, provided they do it well and with respect to the original material. TD seem to do neither.
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
@tj, i've been doing berlin school since 1996, have released TD style albums under the name of Syn. I helped a friend record some TD style tracks back in March. you can listen here

Dream Sequences Part 3 | Futurewave
Listening now - great - someone clearly with a deeper TD fetish than myself wish download was enabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by verve92 View Post
Not feeble at all. What did you use for the pad in the beginning and throughout. How many tracks?
Main pad is either the JV1080 or the MiniAK, but the Xio also is in there during the intro. Bass is the MiniAK, lead is a Juno-Di - the "Phat Strings" preset that has been stacked & detuned.
Old 1st June 2012
Quote:
oh oh..the modular patches on the screens why they just havent used a poster?.
That's because Chris Franke took the modulars with him when he quit TD.

Quote:
the fat guy to the right is his son.. and i dont get why they have the other zombys on stage.. the drummer is´nt exactly good... maybe another son?
The fat guy to his right isn't his son, that's Thorsten Quaeschning, and the guy on the guitar to the left, could be Bernhard Biebl i think. The drummer is Iris Canaa who totally wrecks the songs.

Quote:
the tangerine froese band would be a more appropriate name.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Orange Nightmare perhaps?
Old 1st June 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunaticpark View Post
You won't see any big modulars on stage these days.
not true.. i see all the time people with modulars on stage.. maybe not tangerine dream szise.. but what two people can carry... in any case i think its a rather cheasy idea to display a plug in with a big screen.. the masters of style are in the house
Old 1st June 2012
Gear interested

The uploader has some other videos from this show if you are interested.
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

I'd love to see them (or Franke) perform Song of the Whale Pt1 with everything resequenced and played live. Just to hear that tune on a huge system would be amazing. It's one of my favourite TD tracks.

I do love the sounds they used around then (lots of PPG and samplers I think), but the fact that they just stop using them just got a bit tired.
Old 1st June 2012
Has anyone else noticed the parallel between TD & Roland?
Old 1st June 2012
Gear maniac

There is a documentary somewhere that shows what a force Baumann was- he did a LOT of the sequencing and effects as well as notes. Saw them live in 77, he was great- and yes there were modulars on stage although most of the audience did not what they were.
Froese solo lps that are good include the classic Epsilon in Malaysian Pale and Macula Transfer, although that is out of print . A lot of folks like Stuntman, too. Ages has its moments but suffers from double LP syndrome.
Tran Harmonic nights is excellent. Franke's "London Concert" has a lot of nice sequencing.
As for the whole band, post "Exit" is dicey, I agree with person who said to indulge in herbal remedies and listen to their old stuff loud..
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
except that there is a guitar in it.. kills it somehow
horses for courses, i suppose.... i LOVE the guitars on Stratosfear album. to me this combination of electronics, mellotrons and acoustic is indispensable for creating the magical sound that monumenthal album has. same thing with Force Majeure album. where its a blend of acoustic/electric guitars, CP70 piano and real drums with electronics.

anyway, what Edgar has been doing for the last 25 yrs, with his son, and all that playing over complete old tracks.. just makes me vomit . in other words, AVOID at all cost.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search