Login / Register

I want to sell my Jupiter 6 and buy a new synth. Which one?!
New Reply
Subscribe
tedmanzie
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear addict

I want to sell my Jupiter 6 and buy a new synth. Which one?!

I've got a lovely super fantastic mint condition Jupiter 6, which is the only hardware synth I have left. However, recently i've been thinking I could sell it, buy a new synth, and maybe even still have some money leftover...

SO... what would be the modern equivalent, that might even do more? I don't know much about modern synths I should warn you.

Here's what I like about the J6 - its got LOADS of knobs and sliders and makes very weird sounds. I don't want to be digging through any menus, and I want something that has a keyboard, so no modules. I'm not an analogue purist so I don't really care if its analog modelled as long as it sounds good.

The thing I don't like about the J6 is its lack of any decent midi, its basic arpegiator, and its not so great at fat rubbery basslines.

Any thoughts appreciated!

M
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

andromeda. but that will cost you money.

or virus, that will save you money
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Prophet 08? Don't know if it'll handle the bass duties though. PolyEvolver + a synth specifically for bass? There's also the Studio Electronics polysynths as well, though those seem to be pricey.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
2nd the Prophet 08. And with the left over funds for analogue bass goodness, add a Vermona Mono Lancet / or SH-09 + CV to midi converter if you can stretch it.

'Coming to grips with compromise is an essential ingredient for balance, harmony and avoidance of conflict'. - Maisonvague
tedmanzie
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flat earth View Post
2nd the Prophet 08. And with the left over funds for analogue bass goodness, add a Vermona Mono Lancet / or SH-09 + CV to midi converter if you can stretch it.
i wondered if the prophet 08 could be the answer. new virus might be a touch expensive?
i had an SH09 and as nice as it was i definitely don't want to get back into cv converters. i was thinking about a Minitaur. don't know that vermona but i'll check it out.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-Goldie View Post
i wondered if the prophet 08 could be the answer. new virus might be a touch expensive?
i had an SH09 and as nice as it was i definitely don't want to get back into cv converters. i was thinking about a Minitaur. don't know that vermona but i'll check it out.
If you bought a used P08, you could easily squeeze in a minitaur. No keyboard like you want though.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Perhaps in execution I found the nord lead to cover the same ground. If you're after more basic poly sounds then it should not be too hard to replace but for me at least nothing can replace mine for its weird sounds.

Menu diving city but Waldorf probably can sound even stranger and different to say the least.

i'd probably sell my jupiter 8 before the 6 tbh.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Why not keep it and get the Europa upgrade -

Products
tedmanzie
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post

Products
i think they're in the US aren't they? i'm in the UK and i thought it would be a bit expensive to do.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear addict

I sold mine a few weeks ago and have honestly not missed it at all. Since then I pick up a Blofeld, ESQ-1, DX7, DIVA and the Valhalla suite and still have money left over. Yeah, the JP6 looks cool in the studio but for that amout of money you can cover so many more sounds.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Vermona Perfourmer MK2 is superb it has everything you are after apart from a keyboard.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

The P08 is indeed a good choice if you want to replace the JP6. It retains some of the immediacy of the JP6 and it sounds great. Of course thw Andromeda is also an option, though you may have to pay a bit more for those.. prices have been soaring upwards lately, so you have to be lucky enough to find one for a reasonable price.

The thing about the andromeda is that while it sounds great, it does take a bit more effort to program sounds. tweaking things like a filter is easy enough, but if you want to assign an LFO to both oscs and have them respond to the mod wheel (a pretty standard routing on most synths) you kindof have to figure out how to do that.. it's not as obvious as it seems.

The andy is a really deep synth.. sometimes i wish they'd make a synth with the andy 'engine' and a JP6 interface with some extras

That said.. it is a monster of a synth, and if you can afford it i recommend you have a look at it. I also traded my JP6 for an A6 (and a payed a little extra), and frankly i never looked back.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougt View Post

Products
+1

imo going from JP6 to something like P8 is a step down in most areas, but first and foremost sonically. further, if you don't like JP6 for fat rubbery bass, you will like it even less on P8.

A6 can do fat rubbery thing to an extent, but its sucha overall different character from JP6, i think you will miss it, and its trademark sizzle/cut. and A6 is getting quite expensive on the used market. i'd still recommend keeping the JP6 at all cost, get Europa, and then perhaps pickup something small capable of nice bass, down the road.

i would also vote SH09, but since you dont want vintage, the contenders could be:

upcoming Studio Electronics Boomstar (moog ver)
Moog Minitaur
Vermona Lancet

vermona sounds very rubbery, in a roland-ish sense. tho another option for that might be Boomstar with 303 filter.

22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkks View Post
I sold mine a few weeks ago and have honestly not missed it at all. Since then I pick up a Blofeld, ESQ-1, DX7, DIVA and the Valhalla suite and still have money left over. Yeah, the JP6 looks cool in the studio but for that amout of money you can cover so many more sounds.
you can buy a whole ITB studio for the same as a 303 but people still buy 303's

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
The knob on the Source is perhaps the ballsiest knob ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LimpyLoo View Post
My gearection has gone from 'Fairchild' to 'Behringer'...
Quote:
Originally Posted by apprenticemart2 View Post
I like the sample packs with booby girls on the front cover or sound engineers lookin' 'ard as fur.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

how about a Juno 60 and SH101
tedmanzie
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear addict

i've had an SH101, an SH09 and still have the J6.
probably should have kept them all!
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

My advice would be not to sell it but to trade it. A lot of people are now seeking for Jupiter 6... Period.
I've just trade mine for an Odyssey but I could have choose nearly any synth... I can't tell you how many trade offers I had in a couple of days. Insane.
Depending on what you want, you'll make a much better deal this way imo.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nebelfrau View Post
Prophet 08? Don't know if it'll handle the bass duties though.
Handles bass duties just fine for me...
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

I had a P8 too. It definitely lacks a sub-oscillator for bass duties.
Big let down when compared to Mopho/Tetra.
That being said, the Jupiter 6 is not really great for bass either but it's a much better synth overall imo.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via MSN to flat earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric J View Post
Handles bass duties just fine for me...
Have to say, when I demoed it in person, it weren't no slouch in the bass dept.
tedmanzie
23rd May 2012
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear addict

thanks for all the replies

after a few of you have recommended it, i looked into the europa mod and realised it can be installed over here (i thought i had to ship to the US). looks like that will improve the J6 in most of the areas i was finding lacking and make it on a par or better than lots of the modern synths for not a huge outlay... i think i'll also go for some sort of resonance mod to improve the LPF.

i think i'll pick up one of the monophonic modules mentioned above for bass duties.

so no money saved. in fact money spent... of course!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search