Login / Register

Most interesting, radical, extreme, different effects plugins (soft/hard) for synths
New Reply
Subscribe
RonF
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Most interesting, radical, extreme, different effects plugins (soft/hard) for synths

That thread title says it....

I've gotten into some experimental synth sound design, and am wondering what some of the coolest plugins for audio effects are to run some synths through. I'm not talking about the obvious old standards here, such as basic reverbs (of which I have a ton, hardware and software), delay, mod effects, etc. But rather, interesting effects such as granulators, resonators, filters, abstract effects chains, and other experimental stuff. I love using Ableton Live as nothing more than an effects rack, and then routing my hardware synths through it....sometimes in combination with outboard effects such as Eventides. I'm open to either hardware or software effects solutions....but don't need another standard effects box. I'm looking for something more interesting and creative.

Stuff I have and use: Eventide H7600, Space, Timefactor, and Pitchfactor. Valhalla Shimmer and UberMod. 2C Aether and Breeze. And NI stuff such as Kore 2 (Deep Reconstructions) which is cool, and some Reaktor stuff, but I never know exactly where to turn with all those ensembles. I also have Max for Live which leads to a few interesting effects.

Things i wonder about: TC Fireworx? OHM Boyz stuff? SoundToys?

I want to really mangle some synthy audio. Open to your suggestions!

Thanks!
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

all the sugarbytes stuff is aimed at sound-mangling, turnado is probably their best bet.

you can also do a plugin search on KVR for "FSU" (****s shit up) plugins. any of those are along the same lines.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear interested

Ableton has a really good granulation delay that is sometimes fun to use. I normally run stuff like highhats through it, but it could give some cool effects to your synth.

http://play.beatport.com/contests/pe...3a0d18eb000c20
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
ValhallaDSP

A few free choices:

ValhallaFreqEcho (mine, freaky)
Michael Norris plugins (AU only, interesting FFT manipulation)
Anything from Tom Erbe / Soundhack (free as well as commercial)
Plugins: http://www.valhalladsp.com
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear addict

that DMG pitchfunk is crazy
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Izotope trash makes everything sound broken, and you can set it so it's very slightly broken, or room-full-of-sega-genesis's-on-fire broken. Probably the best distortion plugin I've seen, you get a pre & Post EQ/Filter too

Elmo Sexwhistle - Minor/Major now available on iTunes and Amazon.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

Stuff I have and use: Eventide H7600, Space, Timefactor, and Pitchfactor. Valhalla Shimmer and UberMod. 2C Aether and Breeze. And NI stuff such as Kore 2 (Deep Reconstructions) which is cool, and some Reaktor stuff, but I never know exactly where to turn with all those ensembles. I also have Max for Live which leads to a few interesting effects.
I know its probably an irritating response, but I would just stick to what you have - you already have an enormous array of mangling effects. In my experience getting more plugins just makes you less creative with what you already have. The possibilities of say two of your plugins in series are practically infinite.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

All the above plus Loomer Sequent
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

You have fine taste, sir. I also am into extreme experimentation with effects, and use much the same setup as you (Eventide Orville + Aether/Lex224 + Kore 2/Deep-everything/Reaktor). My suggestion is to start building a modular for effects processing. Wavefolders. Envelope followers. Overdrives. Filters of every kind. Frequency shifters, phasers. Want voltage controlled bit crushing and waveshaping? Geiger Counter's got you covered. Need a voltage controlled granular looper? Makenoise Phonogene. VC Pitch Shifting delay? The forthcoming Echopon will do that for you. Very hands on, and the sound is far from "just another effects box."

But to answer your question, check out Destroy FX's Buffer Override for weird glitches, Sugar Bytes Effectrix for sequenced effects, Sound Toys plugs are great (designed by ex Eventide folk), as is the Ohm Force stuff (especially Ohm Boyz [delay] and Ohmicide [distortion]). Camel Audio's Alchemy, though not really an effects plugin per se, can do some crazy processing of samples.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear maniac

If you're open to another bit of hardware, there's always the OTO Biscuit.
Crunchy 8-bit fun.

FP
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

And there is Automaton from Audio Damage. Very radical, random, destroyish
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post
I'm open to either hardware or software effects solutions....but don't need another standard effects box. I'm looking for something more interesting and creative.
One thing I've got is a Pod HD500, this is a guitar processing box that emulates a whole range of effects and can run quite a few simultaneously. You get a bit of software with it that lets you program different processing chains putting pretty much any effect in any place. It might sound like just another effects box but the programmability and number of simultaneous effects makes it much more powerful.

However, what you really want is a processing modular synth.

I built one of these myself and the range of sounds just boggles the mind, far, far wider than any standard effects.
There are all manner of different modules that do all sorts of weird stuff you don't find in normal effects boxes or synths.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

If you get bored with standard FX boxes then you'll love the Korg SDD-3300 Triple Digital Delay. Despite its generic sounding name, I can get FX out of this box that is not possible on multiFX boxes.
22nd May 2012
Old 22nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks sooo much for all of these wonderful responses. I now have SO much to look into. I must say the suggestions for modular effects processing is very inspiring. And so many other ideas here too. Please keep the suggestions coming....but my sincere gratitude for some great ideas to date!

One question about the modular idea....for the most part, as I understand, most modular synths are predominantly monophonic signal chains. However, most effects processors that you would run your synths into would be stereo. Any advise on this? Would you buy dual modules for left and right and process each channel independently? Or would you sum to mono after the signal comes into the modular processor, and then split back out to stereo at the end of the chain? Hope that makes sense. Just wanting to get my head around the signal chain. I also need some advice, perhaps, on interesting filters in the euro modular world. The ones I see are mostly LPF/HPF's. Not finding, yet anyway, more abstract ones such as comb filters, or resonator filters. But there is just sooo much to sift through. So any advice is again appreciated.
21st March 2013
Old 21st March 2013
Gear Head

+1

still use pluggo and hypno

max4live+effects racks?
21st March 2013
Old 21st March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Do you want to destroy your beautifully tracked audio?

It is easy!

Mix it thru a Behringer !!!

hahaha lol
21st March 2013
Old 21st March 2013
Gear addict

this is easy: eurorack for modular FX environment

LOTS of REALLY extreme stuff there

nowadays there's modules that u can also sync to DAW (4ms, vermona, SSL)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search