Roland SH101 power supply/tuning
Old 19th May 2012
Gear nut

Roland SH101 power supply/tuning

Hello fellow slutz,

i acquired a red sh101 today, and it is fantastic! has all new pots, sliders, and a new power switch. tapping on the case/wiggling the power switch does not alter the tuning, and there are no tuning "freak outs." However, it is out of tune. Intonation is spot on, but with the tuning pot all the way sharp, i get a Bb. It is ALMOST a B very out of tune B.

The power supply is 9v 200mA, it is a non-oem power supply. I have a tr707 with a 9.6v 300mA power supply. i'm assuming that the extra .6 volts would fix my tuning issue, but i do NOT want to fry my 101 and piss my earnings down the drain. I do know above the power supply it says 9~12v, however i remember reading a thread here where someone hooked up a 12v supply and fried the voltage surge protector on the 101.

thanks

EDIT: Ah, nevermind. i had the amperage backwards. the 9v supply with the sh101 is actually 300mA, and the 707 power supply is 9.6v 200mA. i dont think the 707 supply would work. Looks like i'll have to crack it open and adjust the tuning. Anybody have any words of wisdom? I dont have a scope, just a guitar tuner.
Old 19th May 2012
Lives for gear

Why don't you get a proper PSU to be safe? it's not that expensive
Tuning the SH-101 is relatively simple, a guitar tuner or a trained ear should be enough. I use GTune (guitar tuner plug) VST to tune my Doepfer, and it sounds good!
You just use a screwdriver to turn the pot meter. there's one for tune, and one for the separation between the keys.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear nut

the power supply that came with it matches the specs of the psa-100.

do i have to take out every screw underneath to pop the top off? or just the outer ones?
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

All the screws on the underside.

When you put it back together, note which screws go where.. Also don't overtighten them.. The plastic posts are fragile and prone to split.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

9-12v won't make any difference..you need to take it apart and tune it.

With regard to power supplies, wrong polarity is the main killer.

Most SH-101 suffer because they seem to come with cheap unregulated non-oem supplies, this makes them hum badly. You should always use a regulated supply(as the recommended OEM unit).
Old 20th May 2012
as well removing the bottom plate of the 101, you will need to remove the keyboard itself and the connectors before you can remove the main board if you are going to carry out the tuning procedures in the 101 service manual.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn303 View Post
as well removing the bottom plate of the 101, you will need to remove the keyboard itself and the connectors before you can remove the main board if you are going to carry out the tuning procedures in the 101 service manual.
Are you sure about that? I've tuned loads of 101's and never needed to remove the keyboard to get to the trimmers. They are very accessible.
Old 20th May 2012
Oops yeah you are right, been a while since i've been inside my 101
Old 20th May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
9-12v won't make any difference..you need to take it apart and tune it.

With regard to power supplies, wrong polarity is the main killer.

Most SH-101 suffer because they seem to come with cheap unregulated non-oem supplies, this makes them hum badly. You should always use a regulated supply(as the recommended OEM unit).
Yeah, the one i have for it now is a regulated supply, no hum at all, it just isn't the original boss psa-100.

tuning it isn't an issue, i just have to motivate myself to take it apart. all those slider caps...

And how essential is it to tune the D/A converter? i figured i would just hook my guitar tuner up and adjust the vco width and vco tune pots.
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

if there's no hum and it's a linear supply, you're probably fine. I've ran my sh-101 off an old linear radioshack adapter 9v 300ma for years now and it was fine. I don't think it's regulated. I just switched it to a vintage linear-style boss psa-120t, and there's no difference from the radioshack one.

and like others said, 9-12v is fine for the 101. I've not really noticed a difference between regulated/unrelated as long as the voltage is 9-12, more so I've noticed if it's a switch mode power supply, that ISNT the official boss one with those special filters on the cord, you could have a problem. Avoid mixing switch mode and analog things in general though.

By the way, one major cause of tuning issues is the power switch. If pressing down around the power switch changes the tuning, or if wiggling the power switch itself causes tuning to change, you should start by ordering a new power switch from technology transplant and replacing the old one. Mine was completely coated in black carbon dust on the inside, once replaced the tuning was much better, though my 101 still needs a good calibration some day...
Old 20th May 2012
Mr Arkadin

Quote:
Originally Posted by codenamerofl View Post
.And how essential is it to tune the D/A converter?
Do not do another thing until you have adjusted it. It's quite hard to find though.
Old 20th May 2012
ear nut

The sub oscillator has stopped working on mine - has anyone else had the same problem? Everything works perfectly, except turning up the sub and switching the sub octave switch has no affect at all. Am about to start working through the boards but hoping someone may have been there already...
Old 21st May 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Arkadin View Post
Do not do another thing until you have adjusted it. It's quite hard to find though.

Damn, that means i'm going to need different leads for my multimeter, as you're supposed to read it from the CV out jack in test mode, and i only have probe leads; not alligator clips. luckily i found a pdf copy of the service manual here http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb447909/di...ice_Manual.pdf

edit: and the power switch is new, I can wiggle it with no change in tuning
Old 22nd May 2012
Gear nut

my D/A converter was a little off, calibrated it, then adjusted the osc width, and everything is good to go. cheers fellas
Old 5th March 2013
Gear interested

SH 101 Related problem

1.on top of the tuning issues, I’m trying to record using an SH101 for deep sub basslines, Running the volume at max on batteries or mains each note produces a high frequency static like fizz that goes up scale when I play downscale and Vice versa, it sounds like high frequency interference, also the tuning is intermittently affected, having read various postings fingers have pointed to the power switch, I have ordered a new one from Technology transplant and upon arrival it will be fitted post haste, I removed the old one and cleaned it extensively and My meter said perfect but the problem was not solved. Any comments, observations or advice will be accepted with open arms.
2. The album is almost finished but the 101 is a major player in the rhythm section, “How could it not be.”
Old 6th March 2013
Gear nut

For deep sub bass lines with the 101, can't you just filter the HF out?
Old 6th March 2013
IMO, the deepest sub-bass on the 101 is made by self-oscillating the filter, so it should be filtering out any high freq if you're doing it that way. Perhaps you have another issue. I for one still need to replace the keyboard scanning chip as mine only responds to CV input.
Old 25th April 2013
Gear interested

service manual for SH101

Happy to scan anybody a copy of mine...just send me an email as to where you want my email and attachment to come. Pat
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search