Any recommendations for a good compressor?
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8BitCulprit View Post
Have you not tried Mpressor? Bit fiddly, but amazing sound.
I tried something of theirs ages ago, but not sure if it was full Mpressor. Didn't ring the bell at the time, whatever it was. Vague memory of interesting shapes possible, yet disembodied sound.
2nd June 2012
Old 2nd June 2012

Quote:
IMO they complement each other nicely.
I use the MPressor more for shaping, and the Klanghelm for regular duties.

Karloff70, try some extreme settings and work with the sidechain filters. I do agree it can sound a bit "plastic" at times, but I like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
........snip......
@Reptil You should try PIE and CL also with Verb Session it's just
I don't use Waves plugins but I'll try the CL once I got my hands on it.
Megadrum
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Gear maniac

Thanks for all the suggestions. As for the Klanghelm, are you referring to the DC1A or DC8C?
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Geariophile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadrum View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions. As for the Klanghelm, are you referring to the DC1A or DC8C?
Well, ones's for free and the other virtually for free....so both.
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012
Gear interested

Give a try to jsCompShaper, it's free. When I've tried it I was amazed. Don't be fooled by the fact that's free.
24th July 2012
Old 24th July 2012

Windows only alas..
but thanks for the suggestion, demo looks good
Megadrum
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Gear maniac

jsCompShaper....very nice... thanks for that one!
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Gear interested

hmmm
25th July 2012
Old 25th July 2012
Lives for gear

this is one of the best compressor plugins Ive used and its free

TDR Feedback Compressor | Tokyo Dawn Records

its for the master really but you can use it anywhere you want clean compression.

If you are on Windows there are lots of great choices

character channel compression:

Molot (and Mac)

ThrillseekerLA – released today – Variety Of Sound

Bus compression

electric-snow.net - Projects - Plugins

FXpansion - DCAM FreeComp (and Mac)

Realistically you hardly need anything else...they are excellent

but ones worth paying for IMO are

Klanghelm DC8C
DeLa Mancha 165
PSP Oldtimer
The Glue
The DCAM Compressor suite is excellent as well with a good SSL, FET and envelope shaper.

Otherwise Id spend my money on hardware
5th September 2012
Old 5th September 2012
Lives for gear

Vertigo VSC-2 has a hardware vibe - nice full bottom end
3rd party Nebula libraries have the hardware tone and colouration
Compassion is super flexible, but neutral in sound, use Nebula to colour it!
CL1B has the opto squash and pop, and a muted creamy colour

See here for a little comparison of sounds
Nebula 76D

The Glue gets mentioned a lot, but I never found it to be useful. Everytme I bypass it, the original sounds better....
On the bus the DensityMk2 is pretty cool - free
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Nice review/comparison between the Vertigo VSC2 hardware and plugin

Review: Vertigo VSC-2 Quad Discrete VCA Compressor Plugin from Brainworx : SonicScoop – Creative, Technical & Business Connections For NYC’s Music & Sound Community

Quote:
While I was accurately able to set the physical unit to the plug-in using some phase cancellation techniques and a whole bunch of metering, as soon as you change the source material or change any of the attack, release, or ratio settings, the two pieces begin to apply their compression curves in a different manner, no longer behaving the same.

Andy from Vertigo speculated that perhaps the plug-in, or the unit, was at a different point of the compression curve when initially compared to each other. I am not so sure. There are only two continuously variable controls on the VSC-2: threshold and make-up gain. Eliminating the make-up (by not using it) and adjusting the threshold until the physical unit almost completely cancels a 1kHz tone gets them almost sonically identical, and causes both plug-in and physical meters to behave identically.

So what does that mean for me, the user? It means the two work differently — the relationship between how the controls work and the resulting compression are a little different. However, as you can hear in the video, when they are calibrated to each other…they sound nearly identical. The physical unit is a little smoother in the upper midrange and retains a little more dimensionality, but yeah, still pretty amazing. Besides, you’re supposed to be listening to the unit, not relying on the settings, right?
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

that musotalk comparison seems really thorough - its possible to follow bits of it if you dont feel german but would be great to have subtitles or something...
From what I gather the engineer says the software is close but there is a small nuance in the hardware in the bass and punch...which is the usual for plugin vs hardware comparisons...
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
that musotalk comparison seems really thorough - its possible to follow bits of it if you dont feel german but would be great to have subtitles or something...
From what I gather the engineer says the software is close but there is a small nuance in the hardware in the bass and punch...which is the usual for plugin vs hardware comparisons...
I can hear it, even in the Youtube vid, which has good audio quality BTW
The plugin has a bit more of a plastic type quality, subtle, more noticable in that software sounding dance track in the video.
If you use hardware synths, the difference will be much less IMO

But how much of it is the hardware and how much of it is the converters used?
All the high end convertors sound different from each other, and all colour the sound compared to the original in loopback tests.

In any case, I feel the plugin is currently the most hardware sounding plugin for that type of VCA compression. Can be pushed hard. It's quite coloured though, as can be seen in the vid when running a sinewave through it. Almost Nebula like, colouring wise.

Elysia Alpha for the bus/mastering is another I forgot to mention. Very punchy, just like the hardware...
Also coded by Brainworx - genius

BTW I like that hardware monitor controller the mastering engineer in the vid is using - allows you to crossfade between the hardware compressor and the plugin chain with the knob- handy!
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
I can hear it, even in the Youtube vid, which has good audio quality BTW
The plugin has a bit more of a plastic type quality, subtle, more noticable in that software sounding dance track in the video.
If you use hardware synths, the difference will be much less IMO

But how much of it is the hardware and how much of it is the converters used?
All the high end convertors sound different from each other, and all colour the sound compared to the original in loopback tests.

In any case, I feel the plugin is currently the most hardware sounding plugin for that type of VCA compression. Can be pushed hard. It's quite coloured though, as can be seen in the vid when running a sinewave through it. Almost Nebula like, colouring wise.

Elysia Alpha for the bus/mastering is another I forgot to mention. Very punchy, just like the hardware...
Also coded by Brainworx - genius

BTW I like that hardware monitor controller the mastering engineer in the vid is using - allows you to crossfade between the hardware compressor and the plugin chain with the knob- handy!
I see you are a Neb fan - as am I. Did you try the Alex B Fenix yet - or any of his other compressors...? Im curious about the current state of Nebula compressors...

I dont quite feel happy with most software compressors...the way they handle the bass...I do quite like the Slate FG-X compressor and also the Tokyo Dawn Feedback compressor...
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Not that one, I have a few from SIGNALTONOIZE.COM
The Stripe 76, DME 1968 etc and the ones from AlexB's TSX packagae, the Fatso and DTE mastering one.

It's mostly about the colour from these, since they don't really replicate the actual compression character of the hardware units as far as I know.
Only use them for gentle compression. Anything obvious and creative doesn't work that well. Nebula is not fast enough to duplicate them

Besides none of them do the squashy Opto compression I'm familiar with from the Focusrite Compounder. CL1B does it to some degree, and Compassion can be made to sound like it, without the colouration, but noise and bleeds can be added due to the flexible nature of it, then just add Nebula for colour.
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolColJ View Post
Not that one, I have a few from SIGNALTONOIZE.COM
The Stripe 76, DME 1968 etc and the ones from AlexB's TSX packagae, the Fatso and DTE mastering one.

It's mostly about the colour from these, since they don't really replicate the actual compression character of the hardware units as far as I know.
Only use them for gentle compression. Anything obvious and creative doesn't work that well. Nebula is not fast enough to duplicate them

Besides none of them do the squashy Opto compression I'm familiar with from the Focusrite Compounder. CL1B does it to some degree, and Compassion can be made to sound like it, without the colouration, but noise and bleeds can be added due to the flexible nature of it, then just add Nebula for colour.
yeah the earlier ones from STN were interesting but not quite there IMO...however I hear good things about the newer ones from Alex B and CDSoundmaster...I would mostly be using them for subtle compression - I prefer to do heavy compression outside the box...

As far as Nebula not being fast - that doesnt bother me so much - as its quite rare I need to use very fast attack compression...I prefer a slow-ish attack to bring out some punch...I did think the FATE compressor was quite good tho for faster attack on bass or vocals.

I also have a compounder which I quite like for kicks - bass expansion is cool...the compression action is a bit uninspiring I find...kills the highs and not very punchy...I think its a VCA design but I could be wrong....it does sound a bit like an opto!
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Gear addict

Variety of Sound

Density (in part a compressor)
and
Thrillseeker

I sometimes use PSP Vintage Warmer
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

DC8C is wonderful, affordable and Tony the dev worked until he managed to fix a bug I had with it in Live. Highly recommended.

Also like Live's compressor.
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Vertigo VSC-2
Waves CLA pack

are just two good examples of many.... (but they have some mojo esp the Vertigo)
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Gear interested

If you decide to go with either Waves or Plugin Alliance, make sure you checkout re-sellers instead of buying directly from those companies. You can normally find a much better deal.
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max@WavesUnivers View Post
If you decide to go with either Waves or Plugin Alliance, make sure you checkout re-sellers instead of buying directly from those companies. You can normally find a much better deal.
...and excellent customer service (from Waves Universe, that is).
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Gear addict

I like voxengo's deft compressor for sidechaining leads and sometimes bass and a bit of the glue on the master bus :P
7th September 2012
Old 7th September 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
you should hear the hardware unit ha ha ha
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search