Old 16th May 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Fantom X6

Seen a good deal for X6, not sure how difficult or good this synth was. Has anyone had any experience?.
Old 16th May 2012
Banned

I had it and the sounds were bland, thin and really lifeless. Strings sucked, basses were good, guitars were blah, synths were blah. really nothing that was wow. now the fantom FA to me was their last best fantom. I really enjoyed the FA76 workstation.
Old 16th May 2012
Gear addict

Seen a good number of people using it for HipHop on YT.
Maybe because it has a nice sequencer and Pads.

This guy makes his dance tracks with a Fantom x6 and a Juno G :
djtgemhg - YouTube

Personally, I had to decide between a Fantomx6 and a Yamaha Mox6.
While the x6 has a better sequencer and Pads, I found the Mox6 sounds suit me more and so I made my decision in that direction. Will buy it this summer.

If you don't like the Fantom x6, you can always sell it again. So it's not really a risk.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

I owned it once, I thought it's synth sounds were pretty good. I had the FantomX6 as my synth and had the Motif XS for acoustics. I ended up selling my Fantom, adding money with that to purchase the Virus TI1Polar(at the time). It's pretty versatile, you could dig into the synthesis of that board and get some great sounds. Pianos are good too!

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Old 16th May 2012

It maybe my first synth if I can get one cheap enough on the 2nd hand market, if not a Casio XW.

However, the X6 would be my first choice however, I already have a MPC2500 so not sure if the X6 is a good compliment when really I need sounds, and tools to manipulate.
Old 16th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilpeezy View Post
I had it and the sounds were bland, thin and really lifeless. Strings sucked, basses were good, guitars were blah, synths were blah. really nothing that was wow. now the fantom FA to me was their last best fantom. I really enjoyed the FA76 workstation.
That's funny (take this with a grain of salt ... we all have our hallowed grounds ) ... And perhaps some of your comments are in relation to other choices but I feel the X stands on its own in all if not most categories ... )

I don't know how you could say original floppy disk equipped FA could be better than X which improves in every way yet retains everything that made it worthwhile ... (Soundsets are a little different with the FA having a very strange videogame sound to it ... I liked it but I could never use one over an X ... )

"Thin" sounds work better in a mix frankly (and with layers and FX) its really more what can you achieve with it ...

To the OP ... Good luck ... I think its a great synth ... But nothing's perfect but if you're attracted to it you should go for it ... They've held their value relatively well so if you buy it for a decent price you should get your money back ... They aren't cranking out flagship workstations like they used to ...

BTW ... I've said it once and a million times ... Be prepared to buy an SRX card or two ... or four ... I'd have all 12 probably if they'd fit in one unit ... (4 slots) ... If not, you may come off with the meh impression ... The presets are really designed to complement the SRX choices, which are a little more bread-and-butter and of a more top-notch quality you would expect from a flagship workstation ...

Once you get that squared away, it is ... And I like the concept in the way because it allows you to create a more customized soundset ... (But it is a more expensive route ... Fantom-G has "supposedly" Best of SRX but I don't think anyone who really knows SRX cards would agree with that ... )

(For great orchestral type strings, you really need the SRX-6 Complete Orchestra and for Vintage Keys and Vintage Synth Sounds, SRX-7 ...

I could go on and on ... Good luck ...
Old 16th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diametro View Post
That's funny (take this with a grain of salt ... we all have our hallowed grounds ) ... And perhaps some of your comments are in relation to other choices but I feel the X stands on its own in all if not most categories ... )

I don't know how you could say original floppy disk equipped FA could be better than X which improves in every way yet retains everything that made it worthwhile ... (Soundsets are a little different with the FA having a very strange videogame sound to it ... I liked it but I could never use one over an X ... )

"Thin" sounds work better in a mix frankly (and with layers and FX) its really more what can you achieve with it ...

To the OP ... Good luck ... I think its a great synth ... But nothing's perfect but if you're attracted to it you should go for it ... They've held their value relatively well so if you buy it for a decent price you should get your money back ... They aren't cranking out flagship workstations like they used to ...

BTW ... I've said it once and a million times ... Be prepared to buy an SRX card or two ... or four ... I'd have all 12 probably if they'd fit in one unit ... (4 slots) ... If not, you may come off with the meh impression ... The presets are really designed to complement the SRX choices, which are a little more bread-and-butter and of a more top-notch quality you would expect from a flagship workstation ...

Once you get that squared away, it is ... And I like the concept in the way because it allows you to create a more customized soundset ... (But it is a more expensive route ... Fantom-G has "supposedly" Best of SRX but I don't think anyone who really knows SRX cards would agree with that ... )

(For great orchestral type strings, you really need the SRX-6 Complete Orchestra and for Vintage Keys and Vintage Synth Sounds, SRX-7 ...

I could go on and on ... Good luck ...
Well I come from a Reason background, so was unsure whether to cop the Fantom or just buy a decent midi controller and buy the refill?. I have a MPC so unsure if I ever touch the sequencer?. Since getting the MPC I been loving hardware, and I just need a keyboard with decent synths and acoustics I can fall back on.

Plus Fantom S, is that just the same as the X?
Old 16th May 2012
Gear addict

The X has some nice upgrades over the S --> Roland Fantom X

I have an X and it gets turned on a lot. There are few things more mind-numbing than clicking around dozens of sample folders for, say, a piano sound, then prepping the sample for riffing ... then by the time you want to riff the phrase is gone. If you want more of an in-your-face sound, the Mastering Compressor can be turned on. There are a lot of options for EQ and modulation if something is thin or static. No I don't need the oboe sounds for example (maybe someday ) but it's good at what it is. I wish all instruments had SkipBack Sampling! This has saved me several times. Everyone's needs will differ but for people who like to play their samples this is a solid piece. +1 on the SRX cards. From the limited edition cards, SRX-98 has some nice things going for it.
Old 16th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I had the Fantom X6 as my synth and had the Motif XS for acoustics.
This, but the X8.

Skip-back sampling is a neat trick, which can be handy.
The built in sampler is actually pretty good, and the pads are useful.
Card slot was useful for me (stuck lots of samples on the card).
I found the D-beam utterly useless, totally uncontrollable.
Sequencer is okay but I use Logic anyway.

SRX-10 Complete Brass has some fabulous patches on it.

SRX-11 pianos are *great*. Pretty much why I bought it (I'm a classical pianist) "wide stereo grand" - love that patch. I think it sounds nicer than the Kurzweil PC3x "studio grand", but that's just my opinion. Beware the Fantom X8's weighted keys; the action is heavy and slow.

SRX-12 EP's and clavs are *okay*. Actually I take that back. They're good.

Quote:
However, the X6 would be my first choice however, I already have a MPC2500 so not sure if the X6 is a good compliment when really I need sounds, and tools to manipulate.
Fantom XR rack takes 6 SRX cards. Cheaper and space-efficient way to load up on sounds. Speaking of which:

Roland SRX Expansion Board Demo

Hope this helps.
Old 17th May 2012
Lives for gear

The Motif XS rack could give good acoustic, and synth sounds. Between the Fantom and Motif for synth sounds, I would pick Fantom though.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz.com
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search