Infected Mushroom using Ableton
New Reply
Subscribe
Andy P
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested

Infected Mushroom using Ableton

Electronic music producers Erez and Duvdev who make up Infected Mushroom last night during their Army of Mushrooms album release party used a whole new setup.

The used a Dream Screen Labs transparent DJ touch screen and controller which displayed Ableton. (Note: Infected Mushroom is a long time user of Cubase) With this, they were able to both show the audience what they were doing and seeing on their screen, as well as use Ableton effects (most notable a custom Max for Live plugin).

This is truly the new way of DJing, controllerism, and live electronic performance. What do you guys think?
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

A link?
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to timothyallan Send a message via MSN to timothyallan
Why would the audience care to see them using Live? It would just look like they are tapping colored squares in an old version of Microsoft Excel, no?
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Christ are they still around? Never understood the charm of trance
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah, Sasha did this like 10 years ago.
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

You what? their new album has some lovely vibing tracks. oh well each to their own
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

I hate to be a downer here, but to me, just that name alone represents everything I hate about that rave style music haha...i would not even listen just based on their name. That's the kind of music in the 90s that turned me off to electronic music and closed off my mind to it. Thank god that changed when I got older and I was able to discover truly awesome dance music.
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post
Christ are they still around? Never understood the charm of trance
they no longer make trance, they make some kind of nu-metal-dubstep-with trance leads kind of music XD
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Banned

This is truly the new way of posing..
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear Head

Woof... so many haters. I'm not as much a fan of their very recent stuff, but their production has always been top notch and very creative...
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshear23 View Post
Woof... so many haters. I'm not as much a fan of their very recent stuff, but their production has always been top notch and very creative...
you are easy to impress.. i dont see much creativity in copying the same old goa track over and over again..and as soon it becomes comercially attractive a sudden mood swing to brostep? no reason to hate but you cant be surprised that they are no producers producers. no respect from my side at least
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to kasmira
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioconsult View Post
you are easy to impress.. i dont see much creativity in copying the same old goa track over and over again..
Right. Because Infected has so many goa tracks.

How are these anywhere close to copies of each other? In sound, tempo, synthesis, effects, groove, samples, arrangement, chord progressions - none of these are really similar. I've hardly heard any 'copies' of the same sound from them. Surely you'll get some arps and high buzzing LFOs all over the place, but thats a big portion of that 'psychedlic' sound that they used to be an icon for.
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Banned

oh shit.. i made the mistake to click on this links... *shivers*
Andy P
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested

They wern't just using Live, they were using a Max for Live plugin which gave some pretty crazy control parameters. Here's the video link from last night. (You can see the board near the ned of the video)

Infected Mushroom Avalon - YouTube

How could any musician hate IM. At the very least, their music demands respect. It is at the very least, one of a kind and full of passion.
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy P View Post
They wern't just using Live, they were using a Max for Live plugin which gave some pretty crazy control parameters. Here's the video link from last night. (You can see the board near the ned of the video)

How could any musician hate IM. At the very least, their music demands respect. It is at the very least, one of a kind and full of passion.
Arguing about music tastes is as we know a dead end. So IMHO Infected are talented artist that once made two albums that are still held as masterpieces within a sub genre of edm. But their recent work is quite awfull, yes they do have a couple of nice track in each of their last records but overall there is nothing brilliant.

That for example isn't good music.

For me Simon Posford would be the one to follow music wise within the psychedelic trance scene, even when he has gone in to the "pop" realm his music is still enoyable

Andy P
13th May 2012
Old 13th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Arguing about music tastes is as we know a dead end. So IMHO Infected are talented artist that once made two albums that are still held as masterpieces within a sub genre of edm. But their recent work is quite awfull, yes they do have a couple of nice track in each of their last records but overall there is nothing brilliant.

For me Simon Posford would be the one to follow music wise within the psychedelic trance scene, even when he has gone in to the "pop" realm his music is still enoyable

I completely agree, and btw I love Simon Posford, but still, what they are trying to do with their new setup is pushing the boundaries of what most people expect in EDM.

That song was made as a joke and was released around DJ Mag top 100 voting time to increase votes. All artists have that one album that is more of a fusion than anything else, that is what this album is for IM. Just staying up with the times. Personally, I hope they revolutionize dubstep and encourage other artists to move away from the formulaic crap that infests Beatport. I would also argue that this current album is not sitting at home listening through headphones music. It is purely concert music, especially club/stadium music.

Infected Mushroom - The Rat - YouTube
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

does anybody know how they get the video animation and music to sync up perfectly? is there some sort of way ableton can control playing and stopping a video projector feed?

and its pretty much implied that the entire set is premade/mixed beforehand so that the video lines up right?
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
All artists have that one album that is more of a fusion than anything else, that is what this album is for IM. Just staying up with the times. Personally, I hope they revolutionize dubstep and encourage other artists to move away from the formulaic crap that infests Beatport. I would also argue that this current album is not sitting at home listening through headphones music. It is purely concert music, especially club/stadium music.
I agree with you at some extent, but it just came to my attention IM made a rework of this

In to this

And I wonder if really they are trying to push boundaries or just capitalize other genre success?

Its like the George Lucas syndrome: forget all that made you innovative and subsitute it with over the top production.
Andy P
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by s34nsm411 View Post
does anybody know how they get the video animation and music to sync up perfectly? is there some sort of way ableton can control playing and stopping a video projector feed?

and its pretty much implied that the entire set is premade/mixed beforehand so that the video lines up right?
It is live in the sense that when the set is played, video cue marks are set up for certain parts of the song. The rest is controlled by APC40 controllers hooked up to some video mapping software (didn't have a chance to catch which one they were using.

I believe that electronic music is going the way opera did back when it was popular. Full scale productions of light, sound, and art. The music alone is not enough anymore, whether that be good or bad.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear Head

Audioconsult - It's easy to dismiss things you don't personally like. I ****ing hate Lady Gaga, but I can recognize that her music is well-produced and executed pop music. A true musician can listen and learn from all types of music even if they don't like it.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

My friend at uni loved infected mushroom, he was a big druggie so I always guessed that's why. He would always go on about how wanted to buy a access virus to make trance music with. That's the reason I've never owned a virus. It was always a trance synth in my mind and I had no intention of making trance.... I may have been wrong in my assumption but still, that kind of music just sends me to sleep... No offense intended just not my cuppa tea

http://nedavine.bandcamp.com/

WTT my Shruthi for eurorack modules. PM me.
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
This is truly the new way of DJing, controllerism, and live electronic performance. What do you guys think?
Musical tastes being irrelevant to the question, I would contribute thus....

Music at its best is transcendental, but for musicians attending concerts there is a dichotomy between being transported by the artform and intellectually analysing the "musician-y" aspects of the performance.
As a bassist I used to stand in front of the bassist at a concert to study their moves.
So you could argue , with traditional instrumentalists on a stage it is the norm that you can watch their performance/technique,
So perhaps screen hiding mouse clicking laptop musos have been breaking this "contract" with the audience..
So maybe it's good they project their screens for audience to watch what they're doing and fellow electromusos to appreciate their techniques, for the moments when they're not being transcended.

It might be the new way of DJ, controllerism and live electronic performance, but it was already the norm with traditional instrumentalists.

I think the difficulty for musos and the general public alike , is how ,IF THEY WANT TO , judge the skill involved.
I shout "if they want to " because if they had a good night , enjoyed the music then maybe its not a concern, so don' t all flame me on this next point...
If they DO want to make a judgement on the musical content, watching clips triggered on a screen, a filter swept and an fx bus
Twiddled still doesnt tell them if the CONTENT of the clips was originally played by the performer, at least programmed by the performer, or is from some sample pack ...
Maybe the truly new way of electronic performance would be a multi-instrumentalist using DJ/electronic technology to livemix the multitrack video performances of him/ her playing all of the parts !

Edit.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search