Exciters/Maximizers for live performance
New Reply
Subscribe
randomseed
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

Exciters/Maximizers for live performance

For an all live hardware performance what kind of options are we looking at for final mastering/maximizing? Does not seem to be much available.
I know alot of people will end up using Ozone via vst as a last stage but I really dont want a computer on stage at all.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

a decent brickwall limiter at the final output stage will give you a bit of a safety net in a live scenario, you can also use a hardware compressor prior to that.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I never really considered "mastering" for live performance...interesting concept.

A superfast limiter is a good idea, I use a hardware compressor on the end to catch all but the most obscenely fast and strong peaks.

The weird problem for absolutely maximizing total loudness in a live environment is that, because of the way speaker power handling works, it's more important to control average power output than peak. As a matter of fact, a limiter can end up reducing the total output you can reach by forcing the entire signal down to a point at which its continuous average level won't melt the speakers. Crown implements a smart RMS limiter on their Macro-Tech and I-Tech amps. Something like that is a smart move. That way you can set the amps to limit their continuous level while still pushing transients out at the full level that the speakers can handle for brief durations.
randomseed
14th May 2012
Old 14th May 2012
Gear interested

I do have a drive rack on my personal amp rack, maybe I should look into moving it to the performance rack then since it covers all these issues.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search