Edits - How to get Stems/tracks of famous songs
dubmunkey
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Edits - How to get Stems/tracks of famous songs

Hi all,

Just want to know if there is a standard way of getting tracks from famous songs for making edits.

There seems to be quite a lot of these tunes out there where released stuff is not remixed per se but rearranged.

Obviously big name producers prob have the contacts to do this and but what about if you are not signed?

im not really looking to do this myself but a mate asked me the other day how he could make an edit of a luther vandross song and i had no clue how you could get the tracks...

any ideas or is this just a privilege of famous producers?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz App
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

It's not the 'privilege' of anyone. People are asked to remix songs by either the artist or publisher. They are paid for it.

If you want individual tracks it will cost you a fortune - if you are even allowed access by the artist or publisher. I seriously doubt that it would occur unless you can bring something to the table that means something i.e. economics - more sales, royalties to the artist etc...
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear addict

dubmunkey
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

thanks guys, i suspected the first response would be the reality but am glad to see there are other avenues available

much appreciated!

11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Head

if it's a Luther Vandross song I reckon the parts are out there, we used to have uni projects mixing Marvin Gaye tracks so they are around.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear addict

The term 'edit' usually refers to people making bootlegs and remixing without stems. Remixes are more official where the artist gives you the stems since they want you to do a remix or it's part of a remix contest.
dubmunkey
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xonetacular View Post
The term 'edit' usually refers to people making bootlegs and remixing without stems. Remixes are more official where the artist gives you the stems since they want you to do a remix or it's part of a remix contest.
yeah i thought that but some ive heard i cant work out how they isolated parts of the song...

has anyone done any edits using the bootleg method? could i hear them?

despite doing dance music i know very little all this stuff so all advice is appreciated.

also had a look at those stems on wiki and acid and see most are modern and more rock orientated wheras im looking for more soul and funk, is it a case if seek and you shall find or are the well known places these stems are?

dubmunkey
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

what a berk i am. typing in marvyn gaye stems in to google brought them right to me....

11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear addict

Melodyne can be helpful for this

11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmunkey View Post
yeah i thought that but some ive heard i cant work out how they isolated parts of the song...

has anyone done any edits using the bootleg method? could i hear them?

despite doing dance music i know very little all this stuff so all advice is appreciated.

also had a look at those stems on wiki and acid and see most are modern and more rock orientated wheras im looking for more soul and funk, is it a case if seek and you shall find or are the well known places these stems are?

Most edits are done from complete tracks, because even a decently well known Dj doesn't just get the stems from any track he wants.

About how to do them, well there are no tutorials or how to's because edits aren't clearly defined. Some use big parts of the original tracks, other's just a drumloop and a bits of the breakdown. Some add own stuff, others just rearrange the original, it really depends on your approach. Extracting the stuff you want is the difficult part and often might not work at all. Doing an edit is just as much about finding a track that you can edit wwell as about the edit itself.
Take some edits you like and compare them with the original and listen what they changed and then try to apply it yourself.

One tip for extracting is trying to separate the left and right and m/stereo channels, this sometimes works with older motown and disco stuff. Have a look at the BX tools.
dubmunkey
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifstar View Post
Most edits are done from complete tracks, because even a decently well known Dj doesn't just get the stems from any track he wants.

About how to do them, well there are no tutorials or how to's because edits aren't clearly defined. Some use big parts of the original tracks, other's just a drumloop and a bits of the breakdown. Some add own stuff, others just rearrange the original, it really depends on your approach. Extracting the stuff you want is the difficult part and often might not work at all. Doing an edit is just as much about finding a track that you can edit wwell as about the edit itself.
Take some edits you like and compare them with the original and listen what they changed and then try to apply it yourself.

One tip for extracting is trying to separate the left and right and m/stereo channels, this sometimes works with older motown and disco stuff. Have a look at the BX tools.
cheers, this is good to know...

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search