New Reply
Subscribe
Nedavine
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Modular starting block

Seeing as the kind of synth I want to own is clearly out of my price range / patience range. I am thinking of building something modular but my issue is that I want to start off with something that makes sounds. And then each month, I plan to add but by bit gradually building my dream monster. I don't want to buy parts and not be able to use them. I am impatient and I like seeing results from the get go.

I was thinking that a dark energy might be my best starting platform although I seems o remember seeing a sonic lab review of Pittsburgh modular stuff that featured a doepfer all in one mini module ( somewhat like the dark energy but rack based). I like the look of
Pittsburgh foundation but it's expensive starting point.

Any suggestions?

http://nedavine.bandcamp.com/

WTT my Shruthi for eurorack modules. PM me.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

There's lots of affordable modular stuff...Doepfer, MFB, but .com has a starter kit that's set up with the exact sort of month to month plan you're talking about:

Synthesizers.com
Nedavine
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveFromKyoto View Post
There's lots of affordable modular stuff...Doepfer, MFB, but .com has a starter kit that's set up with the exact sort of month to month plan you're talking about:

Synthesizers.com
That looks cool but like I say, I don't want to wait 12 months before I can get a sound out of it.

It is very cheap though eh.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Banned

Nedavine
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Just found a cheap ms 404.... Need to persuade the wife
Nedavine
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Ignore the ms 404. I completely misread he Japanese auction explanation. I thought it had a lot of modular capabilities too. Still it's pretty cheap for an old rare mono synth.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post
I am impatient
Sure modular is the way to go for you?

Quote:
a doepfer all in one mini module
Yes, A-111-5 Mini Synth

Quote:
Any suggestions?
SEM patch panel. Forget for a minute that it's not in a rack; it's a really great sounding self-contained synthesizer, and after your wallet has recovered, you buy an Eurorack case that you'll slowly fill.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Sure modular is the way to go for you?

Yes, A-111-5 Mini Synth

SEM patch panel. Forget for a minute that it's not in a rack; it's a really great sounding self-contained synthesizer, and after your wallet has recovered, you buy an Eurorack case that you'll slowly fill.
That's it the A-111-5 mini synth. Seems like a good start. I get sounds from the get go, then I can gradually add modules to build on it.

I'll look at the SEM, that's oberheim isn't it? Isn't it mighty pricey?
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

The SEM is +/- 1,200USD depending where you get it. That's brand new price though. There are other instant gratification ways to use a modular on the cheap. I hear good things about the Expert Sleeper software to hardware solution. I haven't looked too much into it myself because before that, I'd need a new audio interface.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Guru

The patch panel version - no MIDI - is the cheapest - $900. You will need a MIDI-CV solution to go with it, but that's a requirement for modular as well, and it doesn't have to be -that- expensive.
Nedavine
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
The patch panel version - no MIDI - is the cheapest - $900. You will need a MIDI-CV solution to go with it, but that's a requirement for modular as well, and it doesn't have to be -that- expensive.
Dark energy isn't a viable option either right? I heard the cv out is not proper cv out and is only useful for modulation but not for note data?
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Guru

Doepfer MCV4 should do the job, those are only 110 euros (and cheaper secondhand). Though if you're going to need MIDI CV, a Kenton Pro Solo wouldn't hurt (and it's got loads of settings).
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

More money than the doepfer, but still an option.

I started with a happy ending kit and basic modules after some research.
Nedavine
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
More money than the doepfer, but still an option.

I started with a happy ending kit and basic modules after some research.
sorry what company is that?
is happy ending the brand?
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

The Happy Ending kit is small (3U) bare-bones eurorack enclosure with PSU from TipTop Audio (modules not included). The module in the pic is from Cwejman.
m.o
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
m.o
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedavine View Post
Dark energy isn't a viable option either right? I heard the cv out is not proper cv out and is only useful for modulation but not for note data?
The Note + Gate CV from the Dark energy works just fine with my other stuff (3 rows of euro and a MFB microzwerg).

BTW if it hasn't been mentioned, if going for the 111-5, remember that it doesn't come with midi-cv builtin, you'd have to add an A-190-2.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to defenestration
if you are willing to let your modular be tied to your DAW a great way to start out is an Expert Sleepers ES-3 or ES-4, stick it into a Tiptop Happy Ending Kit, buy an oscillator module, buy a filter module, maybe a VCA

expert sleepers Silent Way ($50 software from expert sleepers) gives you LFOs and Envelopes among other things - this is a very flexible foundation (ableit tied to a DAW)

I've gone so far as the HEK + ES-4 + ES Gate Expander (I have a Dark Energy as well and might never use its MIDI-CV interface again) but still haven't shelled out for more modules yet . . . I'm thinking another gate expander for the ES-4 and then some dedicated percussion modules (my first gate expander is being utilized entirely as MIDI outputs at this point)
Nedavine
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

So on the sonic lab review of the dark energy, he couldn't get the cv's to control the ms-20 because the cv put didn't work correctly?

I guess it's not an issue with rack gear.

Is there any advantage to using the 111-5 as opposed to the dark energy? Of course it looks better being all properly housed in the rack but if I'm wanting a cheap in, and a single voice from the start would it be a more viable option.

I am thinking either he 111-5 or the dark energy plus the happy ending case then, the following month I'll add a new module.

I looked at the expert sleepers thing before I couldn't quite understand what it was doing. It converts audio signals from your sound card to generated by the plug in to cv's ?? I don't quite get what was going on. I am as might be obvious a modular novice.

Also one other question is which companies ship modular gear international. I am in Japan, so finding modules that I can get shipped in might be a bit harder for me.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

Korg had its own CV standard. Dark energy is based on the Doepfer's eurorack modules so you shouldn't have any issues integrating it with future modules.
Nedavine
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Nedavine
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessem View Post
Korg had its own CV standard. Dark energy is based on the Doepfer's eurorack modules so you shouldn't have any issues integrating it with future modules.
Sorry, just saw this. Thank you
Nedavine
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

just found this lovely site online...

MFOS
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I say spend a solid weekend researching modular (subtractive) synthesis and control voltage, etc (MFOS and Muffwigglers have good resources, as do various threads on GS) and take another look at the .com entry system. It's a far more satisfying way to get into modular synthesis than it might seem from that side of the purchase (as one who got into MU modular through the entry system). Although the SEM is a damn good way to start, too...
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012

Aah there are more places like that. (concentrated knowledge base).
Nice to snoop around, but not stay too long or become moldy
Do a search here on Gearslutz.. there's been a lot of nice little nuggets of information and links posted by various people..
see it as a "treasure hunt"

ok, first some modules.. to add to the suggestions already done..

Entrainer just posted this.. (somewhere else)
Quote:
HERE'S the recording:
http://www.mediafire.com/?y4l9cck470e2rqs
MP3, 320kbs, 19.6MB 8:32
It's a WMD Syncrodyne and ModCan VCDO combination.
couple that with a controller, and some clock source (for rhythmic divisions and multiplications) and you got yourself a mini system that can talk to other CV-Gate capable synths as well (old Arp AXXE comes to mind..)

here's a Macbeth Minimac.. the "east coast" -- moog like kind of modular
New possible Macbeth minisynth???
Desktop and modular format.. (each have pro and contrary arguments)

The upcoming Studio Electronics Boomstar has patch points as well...
Studio Electronics Boomstar

And who's afraid of the Minibrute?

Personally I'm more into seperate modules, to make odd combinations of sounds and textures.
Here's what I've been waiting for, now for some months..
Double Andore and Phonogene combination (with "some" supporting modules )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENm8z9KcUCk
----
then....
I have some questions for you:
1. what type of sound are you looking for?
- standard flexible synth, no weirdness
- fat analogue nasty ness
- digital mayhem
- beautiful and etherial
- experimental blibs and crunches in a 3 dimensional space
- something to make grooves and rhythms..
- a combination of the above
2. what type of controls do you want to use?
- keyboard
- analogue sequencer
- midi sequencer
- DAW sequencer
- Joystick, touchpad, velocity sensitive drumpad
- none just the knobs
- all of the above
3. what's your planning?
- are you going in to build a larger instrument
- is this a small, managable synth to complement your studio
- just an FX unit for other synths, with a little voice built in
- you don't know, but it all seems adventurous?
4. what is your budget? (now, and later - this stuff is good to slowly put together
5. how much space do you have in your studio? things can go BIG quick

here's a eurorack planner
Eurorack Modular Synth Planner
I'd go eurorack if I were you. There's a lot of stuff going on. Even Serge type modules are in the pipeline... Buchla type modules (not exactly the same.. but the general direction) in the form of DIY (build it yourself) or from small manufacturers (only a few hundred out there).. this ensures with the reality of building your own choice up, that no system is exactly the same...

search... listen.. ask questions... plan ahead and fantasise.. there are more things possible than you or I know...

start slow, with only a few flexible, sonically interesting modules, expand (if wanted) only a few modules at the time. Don't despair because of the sheer complexity of modules, or the size of the "pool" of available modules... just take it slow.. Or the sheer SIZE of some systems.. Often a patch is just around a few modules only, with some supporting modules (utillity)

Another suggestion... learn DIY it's not difficult and it'll keep you off the street for a while.. but beware! it's even more addictive and dangerous than Eurocrack, but it's totally worth it! (cheap, high quality modules, and the knowledge that comes with building them) this is an old tradition... ppl. who wanted Serge modules had to come over and build these themselves.

build a little "library" of articles, patch examples, videos, recordings, pictures, links etc.. organise this from the start or risk losing your mind

Oh.. and if you want TB-303... get a x0xb0x.. it can also sequence other synths! It's possible to build it yourself.. many have done so as first project

Once you start with buying seperate modules (instead of all-in-one synths).. STICK WITH THE PLAN, it's ADDICTIVE !!!

for sale EURORACK MODULAR CASE

Nedavine
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Thanks for the detailed reply. (same goes to everyone very helpful board members)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
then....
I have some questions for you:
1. what type of sound are you looking for?
- standard flexible synth, no weirdness
- fat analogue nasty ness
- digital mayhem
- beautiful and etherial
- experimental blibs and crunches in a 3 dimensional space
- something to make grooves and rhythms..
- a combination of the above
2. what type of controls do you want to use?
- keyboard
- analogue sequencer
- midi sequencer
- DAW sequencer
- Joystick, touchpad, velocity sensitive drumpad
- none just the knobs
- all of the above
3. what's your planning?
- are you going in to build a larger instrument
- is this a small, managable synth to complement your studio
- just an FX unit for other synths, with a little voice built in
- you don't know, but it all seems adventurous?
4. what is your budget? (now, and later - this stuff is good to slowly put together
5. how much space do you have in your studio? things can go BIG quick
1. A combination of all of those but I like evolving sounds with interesting modulations, a bit of dirt and guts to them but over all quite soft. Huge pad sounds are a must. something experimental and weird a definite bonus. I want something modern sounding.
2. Keyboard and DAW. I don't like analogue sequencers... or should I say, I've never gotten to grips with them.
3. My eventual goal is to build something with 4 voice poly (doesn't need to be multi timbral). Of course I'll have to start mono. Id like the option to route other gear through it but ultimately i want to build an interesting poly capable of analogue and digital sounds.
I don't want to create a beast the size of my wall. As much as it would be cool my wife would kill me.
4. My current budget is 50,000 yen a month (about $600) but that will rapidly decrease as I have a kid due in october. No starving children at the expense of a megasynth lol. from october that $600 becoming $300 seems feasible.

I would really like to start off fast (get a single voice ASAP) and then build slowly from that. I really do not want to build slowly for one year and not get a sound until the year is up. I'd much rather have something VERY basic at start and build on that so that each month it evolves. I thought one solution might be t start at the filter, at least that way i could use my current synths to play around. I could start with FX and work backwards from there? I don't know, but I don't want a case and a midi to CV sat gathering dust for months on end.

As for DIY, I just ordered a shruthi-1 and am excited as hell to build it. If the build is not terrifying I am almost certain that I will want to build more stuff. Being able to build dirt cheap modules would be amazing (i saw the MFOS ADSR's they look very simple but greatly useful). However, I am in Japan and I have never resourced parts before. I am almost certain they must be in abundance somewhere, but my "electronics specific" japanese is pretty much non existant(although i have recently learned all the technical words regarding soldering lol). Also I have no idea if names for parts, such as resistors, are standardized or not. something with one name in america might be called something else over here for all i know.

I'll check out the modular planner. looks a little daunting. Also i will indeed go on a treasure hunt.

Thanks again guys
Nedavine
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Is the happy ending case likely to be too small? Some of those WMD modules look nice but haven't heard the sound examples yet.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

IMO, you should buy a good, decent sized case to begin with (either 6U or 9U). Look at Doepfer cases (Portable or Low Cost) and Monorocket if don't want to build your own.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012

Yes! get a 6u case with a decent powersupply (mostly built in).
Not those cheap wallwarts that you plug into the socket.
Doepfer is good. DIY possible but IMO don't start with a PSU. Dangerous voltages.

Ok, I think I have the idea of a basic system.
Some suggestions (make your own choices please?)

Oscillators I'd buy ready made, they're tricky to build (haven't even tried myself so far)
Modern, soft (not harsh), huge pads, a bit experimental.
I'd say Synth Tech e340 Cloud Generator video video huge with shifted voices but not really experimental
Synth Tech e350 Morphing Terrarium video still beautiful but single voice and can do experimental as well
or a Cyclonix Cyclebox which has more attitude, but has some aliasing in the higher frequencies so IMO is less "pretty", but makes up on flexibillity and fatness. video Also capable of weird experiments. video

Control from the computer...
Not a shred of doubt: Expert Sleepers ES-4 (SPDIF) or ES-3 (Toslink ADAT) these you use to control synths (not just the modular) with CV Gate. It can also do a little bit of audio playback (the ES-3 is better) and very importantly, it has a very tight clock. It depends on which connector is available on your computer converter. It bypasses midi alltogether. This has the advantage of being sample accurate with DAW audio playback (so you can mix latency free in the analogue domain).
If you want midi (to intergrate with you Mopho) you can do that later by adding an appropriate midi-cv gate interface.

Envelopes...
There are a number of 2 channel envelopes. Three double as LFO (looping oscillator) I'd look at 5 which have a different character.
- Makenoise Maths (very popular, very flexible) needs VCA
- 4MS Systems PEG (also popular, strong in rhythmic envelopes) needs VCA
- Cwejman ADSR-VC2 (if you want a tight, super controllable traditional ADSR, this is it. Not cheap but quality is there)
- The Harvestman Double Andore (this works with wavetables, can mess up the audio (in a good way - check the example in the previous post please?) but also sound great. Also doubles as a looper- LFO. Can be cryptic at times but that is part of the fun (WTF! moments ) Two VCA built in, you can never have enough VCAs.
MFB Dual ADSR (cheap and not bad at all. bread and butter. lacks some of the special things that the other VCAs do have) needs VCA.
Another option to consider is an LPG. This is a low pass gate, it has a photovoltaic element which shapes the sound, and is quite soft and organic sounding. There is a DIY option, or you can score a second hand Plan B M13.
The cool thing about these is that it also functions as VCA: it shapes the sound (low pass filter) but also ads a volume envelope (envelope plus VCA).

Why a double module? In a small system you need at least two envelopes and you got to think about preserving space. When you got a PEG, Maths or Double Andore you're set for a while. Add perhaps a cheap but good Doepfer a-147 and you got a bunch of modulation sources.
A single envelope to consider would be a Wiard Malekko Envelator. Also doubles as LFO. Sounds good as well. Needs additional VCA.
The "Bubblesound" VCS is also going to be produced again. Doubles as audio processor, LFO, slew limiter etc.

Filters.. there are SO MANY! So I'll pick 4 that I like and one that a friend uses and is quite nice as well, for illustrative purposes, not because they're the best out there. It's more about the character than anything else, so highly personal.
I like my Wiard Malekko Borg (mongrel from a Korg MS-20 mother and a Buchla LPG (low pass gate) father, and the Boogie which also uses vactrols but is more a traditional filter. Then, I like the bubbly sound of my Serge filter. There's Serge clones coming in eurorack, so.. watch out for that.
Doepfer a-105. Based on a SSM2044 filter chip in a cheap configuration, this is still my all time favorite filter. It has attitude, is not expensive. There are more Doepfer filters like that, like the a-124 wasp filter. It sounds unique and can sound soft and emotional but also completely mad.

VCA
don't skimp on VCAs. they're the building blocks of any system. it's like a tap that controls the flow of a stream, with a remote control.
Intellijel good, some Doepfer too (not all!) but below is a great DIY solution (S1 Quad VCA mixer).

Ok, I got to get back to work so quickly 5 awesome DIY projects, that are even more easy to build than the Shruti-1. Usually these are well documented with schematics, examples and a BOM (Bill of Materials). These are small runs, there is no guarantee how long this will be available, so get it while it's hot. It may be one or two are now sold out, so keep an eye out for more future runs... Again.. this is even MORE addictive and time consuming than eurorack!!!

- Fonik's Double Trouble Korg PS3100 resonator with LFO control. Get this, don't hesitate. Vactrol based filter. Good quality board. It sounds awesome video link Frontplate design is available as file.
- S1's Quad VCA mixer. It's a high quality 4x VCA with a mixer (4 in 2, 4 in 1). I bought 5 boards. This could answer the need for VCA/Mixer in a small system completely. Amplify DC (control voltages) and AC (audio) link There's a front panel design but you can easily make your own.
- Buchalish Voltage Processor. this can be used to curtail, or change CV streams so they fit better. IMO every modular should have one. Alternative from Doepfer also available. link
Then Thomas White's LPG like the M13 or Borg mentioned above. Easy to make, not expensive, and can function as envelope&VCA. You coud add a cheap Doepfer filter and be done for a while. link link for panel
- Ken Stone's CGS DC mixer. A simple but great building block. need more inputs for a filter (to route audio from the computer or sampler alongside a VCO? easy!) link
Oakley's ARP 2600 ringmodulator here

Parts? Yes, that's the boring part. Put orders together, search for the best ones, the best price, don't buy too many, but not too little either. There are some good group buys on knobs, and other rare or expensive parts.
Get your vactrols here and the euro format 3.5mm jacks here.

So.. that's what I've been up to (amongst other things).
I hope it's inspirational for anyone. This summer I'd like to start some builds and rearrange my own modular setup. Looking forward!

cheers
Nedavine
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil View Post
Yes! get a 6u case with a decent powersupply (mostly built in).
Not those cheap wallwarts that you plug into the socket.
Doepfer is good. DIY possible but IMO don't start with a PSU. Dangerous voltages.

Ok, I think I have the idea of a basic system.
Some suggestions (make your own choices please?)
For some reason you full reply didn't show up on my iPad. Good job I checked the web. Awesome help. I think I have a good idea of what I want. Gonna check a few more videos and then I will start making orders. I'm defo gonna build those DIY projects. Just need to find a friend with a PayPal so I can order the pcb's the quad vca looks awesome.

My only worry is finding suppliers here in Japan.
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012

parts? there must be some online?? most of the parts I use are from Japan
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search