Is the Nord Wave a hardware Absynth?
New Reply
Subscribe
mallarme
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Head

Is the Nord Wave a hardware Absynth?

I mean, more or less, and obviously without all the envelopes of the software, and the filters... ?
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

Funny you should ask - I have a Wave and although I have no experience with Absynth, I just bought Skanner XT, based on Reaktor, and in some ways its aggressive sound is similar to a lot of the sounds I get from the Wave.

EIDT: wow, just below my post an ebay add for a 3-month old Wave that's waaay cheap.
mallarme
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Gear Head

I know! I saw that ad, but I'm highly suspicious... I'm totally lusting for a Wave. I want the hardware action, and being able to have a decent piano in my synth...

I decided not to do the workstation route because honestly, I don't need all the stuff that they usually come with, and am really into ambient music of the minimal/noisy/glitchy kind... But I do wanna have a good piano sound, a good rhodes sound, to play now and then...

And FM is key! I love the sound of a sine pad, or any sine modulated noise...
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

Yep, I love the sample side and the FM side of the Wave, both very easy to dial in. To be honest, apart from the well-documented omissions of the Wave (non-sync LFOs, no arp, etc) I love the synth. As I have said in several threads, so I'll leave this one open for anyone else who might chime in.

And yes, that ad did seem suspiciously cheap.
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Lives for gear

... but as far as the original question, i can't imagine it's anywhere near what Absynth is capable of? what exactly can you do with a sample on the Wave besides play it back and run it through the filter?
10th May 2012
Old 10th May 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallarme View Post
I mean, more or less, and obviously without all the envelopes of the software, and the filters... ?
Have you been traumatized by absynth??

But the answer is no..

The wave is a bit underrated modern keyboard sampler for people that want to play keyboard sample sounds on stage.. with some extras to manipulate the sounds. In itself a really cool product, especially in comparison to the rack samplers we used in the near past on stage. When it would have an EII emulation engine i would find it perfect actually.

But its rather a performers than a sound designers tool. Therefore a total different thing then absynth.

May i ask why you compare them? What is it that you find related in them?
mallarme
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Head

It was more a tongue in cheek comparison... Sure, Absynth is the ultimate sound design tool in a sense... and I know it runs deeper, to being with has 3 oscillators, versus 2, the effects are different, the filters and incredible variety of modulators, envelopes, etc...

What I meant is that both are synths that use previously stored waveforms AND samples to make up a sound...

But that is a better way of asking my question: Is the Nord Wave a good Sound designer tool?

I'm growing tired of the computer, and I know how easy it is to dial sounds in the Wave, or any other Nord synth for that matter, so that is what brings me to it... And I am in need of a good keyboard with good piano patches to play some more conventional songs...
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

I would look to a kurzweil k2xxxs for what you seem to want. Good piano, deep programing, the VAST engine has options to build long evolving sounds fairly easily, built in effects... A roland v-synth might also be a decent fit.
mallarme
11th May 2012
Old 11th May 2012
Gear Head

Aren't the Kurz ancient at this point? They also seem kinda bulky... How is the sampling?

It seems that with the Nord it is a breeze, via USB, with a great sampler editor... Kurzweil needs floppy disks etc?

And also, no knobs... But I looked at it... sound wise, "architecture" wise, I know it makes sense... But I think wanting easy access to parameters, minimal menu diving, is what is driving me to it... How is the V-Synth in that regard?
mallarme
12th May 2012
Old 12th May 2012
Gear Head

What the hell. I did it! Ordered a Nord Wave! The deal I was given was too good to pass. It arrives this week and I will post more on it...
mallarme
24th May 2012
Old 24th May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
... but as far as the original question, i can't imagine it's anywhere near what Absynth is capable of? what exactly can you do with a sample on the Wave besides play it back and run it through the filter?
After a week with it, I found out what else you can do to a sample with the Wave... Well, everything that the synth allows. Modulate it in many ways, layer with the incredible VA engine, layer it with other samples, add effects (which are more than capable), and play play play them!

It really is not only "running it" through the filters... Sure, in a way there are many more complex sample mangling that can be accomplished with software, and no, you cannot chop, edit, and actually "sample" something on the fly... But as a tool to perform samples and "synthesize" them, I'm thinking this synth has to be one of the best around... Plus, have to say, this is my first Nord product, and one has to applaud how reliable they are and their general quality. So easy to use too...
24th May 2012
Old 24th May 2012
Lives for gear

I'd love to hear some demos of the Wave sample processing/mangling, if you get the chance to record some and post them. It seems like most Nord demos on YouTube are pretty standard "lead" sounds, and I'd like to hear some more "out there" kind of things if possible. Thanks!
mallarme
25th May 2012
Old 25th May 2012
Gear Head

mallarme
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Head

1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Cool sounds, thanks for the demos. Exactly the type of stuff I wanted to hear. Does anyone know if the VA section of the Wave is based on the NL3 or the older NL1/2?
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundxplorer View Post
Cool sounds, thanks for the demos. Exactly the type of stuff I wanted to hear. Does anyone know if the VA section of the Wave is based on the NL3 or the older NL1/2?
SOS review said it had more of a 2 sound than a 3. Google the review.

OP glad you're enjoying your Wave, I love mine.
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

I had one and always thought of it as a cousin to the fairlight.
mallarme
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Gear Head

Damn! Had they put a sequencer on this thing... perfect synth?!

(Ha! you can see I'm still in the honey moon phase...)
1st June 2012
Old 1st June 2012
Lives for gear

The NW as a sampler look great. Too bad there's only a pair of outputs.

If clavia decide to release a nord wave 2 with 8 parts and 8 outputs, I'll replace my S6000 with it in an heartbeat. Especially if there's a rack version.

What happen if you use very different samples within the same multi? Are you allowed to edit them separately or does the parameters change affect all the samples of a same part?
mallarme
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Gear Head

You can use different samples in different slots, A and B. Each slot has 2 osc, but only 1 osc can have user samples... So in fact you can have 2 different samples going, PLUS the sample waveforms that are already built-in.

The samples need to be set, looped, trimmed, etc, in a software, and then they're sent to the Nord Wave. Once in the Wave you can shape it, filter it, modulate it, add effects and envelopes, in other words, "synthesize it"...

So yes, changing parameters in one slot will change the set-up for Osc 1 and 2 at same time, but since you can have 2 slots, you can have 2 samples with complete different settings...

The thing just sounds good though!
t_d
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

thank you, mallarme, for posting those sounds. this is what i was waiting to hear out of the Wave as well... as the demos on youtube are all pretty horrible and standard.

i have been very much on the fence about a NW because i don't really NEED one and would make myself sell something i have to get it... been contemplating selling my JP6 as i'm just not bonding with it much.

i strongly disagree with the above statement that the NW is not a sound designers tool. with the samples, FM and nord lead 2/3-type architecture, seems like a sound design dream to me.

love your sounds, especially the bowl.

looking for: simplicity
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Lives for gear

You will have to stretch your definition to a breakpoint to consider Nord Wave in any way related to Absynth. Spec wise they differ massively (pun intended) and your sounds though quite good by their own, don't help to bring them any closer.
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
thank you, mallarme, for posting those sounds. this is what i was waiting to hear out of the Wave as well... as the demos on youtube are all pretty horrible and standard.

i have been very much on the fence about a NW because i don't really NEED one and would make myself sell something i have to get it... been contemplating selling my JP6 as i'm just not bonding with it much.

i strongly disagree with the above statement that the NW is not a sound designers tool. with the samples, FM and nord lead 2/3-type architecture, seems like a sound design dream to me.

love your sounds, especially the bowl.
Can't tell you if you should keep the JP6 or not, but I'd say, get a NordWave! Would love to hear what you'll do with it!! NOT NEEDING something has never deterred me from splurging on any of this beautiful noise making machines, e...

Now seriously, I'm glad you liked the sounds coming out of it. Knowing a bit of your music, I can't really say if it would ADD something to your set-up. I'm sure you would dig it though, as it is a great instrument and yes, an excellent sound designer's tool.
t_d
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

yeah... NOT NEEDING something never deterred me, either.. which is why i have too many synths already

what appeals to me about the NW is the interface.. the FM, and the sample-loading.... i'm not a soft-synth user so much so the fact that the sound design power of the NW exists in plenty of software doesn't mean anything to me... it's all about that lovely nord interface.

Quote:
Can't tell you if you should keep the JP6 or not, but I'd say, get a NordWave! Would love to hear what you'll do with it!! NOT NEEDING something has never deterred me from splurging on any of this beautiful noise making machines, e...

Now seriously, I'm glad you liked the sounds coming out of it. Knowing a bit of your music, I can't really say if it would ADD something to your set-up. I'm sure you would dig it though, as it is a great instrument and yes, an excellent sound designer's tool.
mallarme
5th June 2012
Old 5th June 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_d View Post
yeah... NOT NEEDING something never deterred me, either.. which is why i have too many synths already

what appeals to me about the NW is the interface.. the FM, and the sample-loading.... i'm not a soft-synth user so much so the fact that the sound design power of the NW exists in plenty of software doesn't mean anything to me... it's all about that lovely nord interface.
If that is so, then dear master of 12k... it is just a matter of time until your new synth!!
t_d
6th June 2012
Old 6th June 2012
t_d
Lives for gear

that's the sad, gearslutty truth...

Quote:
If that is so, then dear master of 12k... it is just a matter of time until your new synth!!
MDM
29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012
MDM
Gear maniac

Send a message via MSN to MDM Send a message via Skype™ to MDM
im a happy Nord Wave owner, I use it for gigs, but will employ it in the studio too asap when I have time to work.

to me, there's no comparison to Absynth - to me, it's not just different, it's a million times better.

but that is because I am a keyboard/synth player. I love real synths, with real knobs, and their own converters and/or audio outputs - Every gear has its own sound. I noticed it again and again... Moog emulations do not come close to a realy old moog with all its little nuances and fits.
but that's me!
SO i was glad to find out that the Nord Wave has 'grit' or something organic.

I am actually wondering, are there any competitors out there for the Nord Wave? Any other sampling/synth keyboards?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search