Login / Register

Increasing polyphony with more synths (JX-8P)
New Reply
Subscribe
Doc Asbury
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Increasing polyphony with more synths (JX-8P)

Hi everyone, this question is about the Roland JX-8P, but I suppose it can apply to other synths. Is there any way to double your polyphony by using a 2nd identical synth?

I have 2 JX-8Ps, each with 6 voice polyphony. What gave me the idea is the JX-10 which is basically 2 JX-8Ps under the hood giving 12 voice polyphony. Also I once heard you can do something like what I'm talking about with certain Oberheim synths.

Whether this is of any significance, the JX-8P has two different "POLY" modes. I've never quite understood the difference, but the manual says:

Quote:
POLY1 - This mode turns the JX-8P to a 6 voice polyphonic synthesizer assigning one synthesizer module to each key pressed.

POLY2 - This mode is very similar to Poly mode above assigning only one synthesizer voice to each key pressed. The primary advantage of this mode is that only the last note or notes played together receive natural release length.
My initial hope was that POLY1 would hold the first 6 notes while POLY2 would hold the most recent 6. If that were so, hooking one synth in POLY1 to another in POLY2 would give 12 note polyphony. Alas, that's not the case (unless I'm doing something wrong).

Any ideas?

~Doc
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Why have two JX8P when you can use a DAW and multi-track? Sell one of your JX8P’s and use the money to buy another sizer, one with say a multimode filter, PWM or something. That why you broaden your audio pallet. :D

Kind regards
Demokid
AndromedaA6,Casio CZ1,Elka Synthex(midi),Korg MS20/MS50,Minimoog ModelD(midi),Voyager AE,Prophet5 v3.31,ProOne,Prophet08 AE,Jupiter-8(midi),TeeBee MK3,Synthesizers.com Studio66,Yamaha CS30,Ensoniq SQ80
Drums
Roland DDR30,R8m,DrumStationII
Efx
Eventide H3000D/SE,Lexicon 200,Dynacord DPR20X,KlarkTeknik DN780,Symetrix 606,DeltaLab ADM1024,Korg SDD2000,Roland RE301,TKAudio DP1,Mu-Tron-II,MXR Phrase100,Sony MU-R201
Other
http://soundcloud.com/demokid
http://youtube.com/demokid2000
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for acid

If the synth doesn't have a Poly Chain facility (a lot of older synths don't) you could use your DAW, create two MIDI tracks on the same channel with a split on each so that one synth only receives notes above a certain note and the other below. Load same patch on both. Play on that channel. If youre using one of te synths as the controller, you'll need to turn local control off. Et voila! I know Logic can do this very easily.

Another thing I believe in is repetition.
"Repetition is a form of change" - Oblique Strategies
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Asbury View Post
My initial hope was that POLY1 would hold the first 6 notes while POLY2 would hold the most recent 6. If that were so, hooking one synth in POLY1 to another in POLY2 would give 12 note polyphony. Alas, that's not the case (unless I'm doing something wrong).c
nope it doesn't work that way. only synths with "midi spillover" can do this.. like JD990 for example.

but, keep it simple, sell both JX8P and pickup a MKS70 (two JX8P in a rack). it takes much less space, and you do get a 12 note poly (in WHOLE mode). as well as handy patch modes for splits, layers (4 osc on JX engine sound awesome together)

8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
If the synth doesn't have a Poly Chain facility (a lot of older synths don't) you could use your DAW, create two MIDI tracks on the same channel with a split on each so that one synth only receives notes above a certain note and the other below. Load same patch on both. Play on that channel. If youre using one of te synths as the controller, you'll need to turn local control off. Et voila! I know Logic can do this very easily.
Depending on how you like to work the part that may or may not be a hassle is getting the same sound on each synth. I'm not very good with the Logic environment, but it should even be possible to set it up so that it switches MIDI channels every note. Someone on the logic forums made something like this so that I can use more than 4 voices in Aalto!
Doc Asbury
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear interested

Thanks for the replies, everyone. 2 JX-8Ps are necessary because this is for a live situation requiring 2 physical keyboards at once. I was thinking as long as there were 2 JX-8Ps in use, I might be able to double (merge) the polyphony as a bonus. I agree an MKS-70 would be perfect, and one was even selling here on craigslist for cheap, but I didn't act fast enough

I think networkacid has a great idea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
and even better:
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodeater View Post
it should even be possible to set it up so that it switches MIDI channels every note. Someone on the logic forums made something like this so that I can use more than 4 voices in Aalto!
My next question is, is there a piece of hardware that can do that (so I don't have to lug my DAW)?

A quick google search turned up the Seelake Audiostation
Seelake AudioStation - MIDI Patchbay

But that thing is basically a DAW in a box, overkill for what I need. Anyone know of any basic patchbays (under $200 if possible) that can do assignable splits/switches? Then I think I'd be good to go!
Doc Asbury
8th May 2012
Old 8th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Asbury View Post
Anyone know of any basic patchbays (under $200 if possible) that can do assignable splits/switches?
Answer to my own question: yes, I found tons of inexpensive patchbays that will do the trick (I found one on craigslist for $50). And the beauty is it'll work with any type of synth
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search