Loop Software for Building Drum Tracks?
laborinvain
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Loop Software for Building Drum Tracks?

I used to build my drum tracks in Acid. I would make a stereo, pilot track of my song, recorded to tempo using a primitive drum track (better than metronome), then render it without the drums.

Then I could open it in Acid, sync it up, add drum loops at will, then export the loops I wanted to use from Acid, with their new tempos, and import them back into my Cubase project file, nice and in sync.

Though by no means the best way, this was a pretty cool way to work -- no rewire BS, no unneeded overhead, and Acid had a great (when it worked), easy to use loop browser that made loop selection easy and creative.

Then they ruined Acid (at least from the perspective of a dedicated looping tool) by trying to turn it into a bloated, unnecessary DAW, more suited to DJs and teenager making mix tapes than composers.

I got excited when Cubase, in version 4, introduced the "Loop Browser". Until I quickly realized it was absolute garbage, and couldn't even properly sync acidized files (much less Rex files or anything else as far as I can tell). Days I've spent trying to make their crappy shite work.

And then there's Ableton, which has its own thing if you're into it. But if you're just wanting to build a drum track as I described above, then it's overkill, overpriced, and the opposite of intuitive.

The thing about building drum tracks in Acid was Acid has the same kind of arrange window, timeline you find in all pro DAW apps. So it's idiot simple and requires not a single extra brain cell to arrange loops. Of course, unlike Ableton, you wouldn't want to use it live.

I'm almost tempted to go back to Sonar, whatever it's called now, which browsed loops and synced them almost as well as Acid, but I remember the Cakewalk days of having to do 15 steps when it should only taken 3 to do just about everything and have vowed never to go back.

Lately, I've been using midi loops with various drum plugins. But I'm working on a project now where the only groove that fits is an old, lovely, Discrete Drums, acidized loop.

Thus the quandary. I've lost my old copy of Acid 3, the last good version for drum arranging. I tried a demo of Acid 7 or whatever and I don't even want it on my system (it's like malware). That and it locked up trying to read my VST folder.

Is there nothing that just allows you to build drum tracks easily? A plugin perhaps? Did no one over the last 10 years realize that Sony was making a mistake in abandoning the market for composers who just want an easy way to audition and build drum/percussion tracks from loops, and make a comparable product?
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Ableton Lite is free if you have a soundcloud.

Try this, it's not much like Acid but it's the most complete Drum plug in around atm.

FXpansion - Geist

There's fruityloops too if you like hideous gaudy interfaces that look like a early 1990's website.
laborinvain
7th May 2012
Old 7th May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Ableton Lite is free if you have a soundcloud.

Try this, it's not much like Acid but it's the most complete Drum plug in around atm.

FXpansion - Geist

There's fruityloops too if you like hideous gaudy interfaces that look like a early 1990's website.
Thanks offki. I'll check Geist out. I bought Fruity Loops a few years back and used it not once. I thought I might get into it but I don't do techno so it didn't quite work out.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search