Dumb stuff you do in the studio
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for acid

Dumb stuff you do in the studio

Jamming completely OTB, hit space bar on computer to stop music. Look puzzled. Duh.

Now you!
Old 6th May 2012
Gear addict

Solo a track, tweak a plugin on a completely different track and still "hear" changes..
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Draw little boxes and rectangles with the mouse mindlessly in-between takes.
Old 6th May 2012
Read gearslutz when I should be actually making music
Old 6th May 2012
Gear addict

Frantically draw in midi notes till i get a melody....
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brassica View Post
Solo a track, tweak a plugin on a completely different track and still "hear" changes..
All the time. I usually catch myself when what I'm hearing isn't making any sense, or I'm not hearing enough of what I think I'm hearing.
Old 6th May 2012
dj2
Gear interested

..not finish a track and save it to the folder with hundreds of other patterns that aren't complete. Start a new pattern and do the same thing over again.
Old 6th May 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiltrip View Post
All the time. I usually catch myself when what I'm hearing isn't making any sense, or I'm not hearing enough of what I think I'm hearing.
Yep.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

I've recorded the best ever guitar solo onto a midi track.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrightSide View Post
I've recorded the best ever guitar solo onto a midi track.
snap.

i do something similar: jam for 10 mins on the synth trying to get some usable takes.. come up with some gold.. hit stop... DOH! just recorded 10 mins of midi.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

not me but my co-producer:

he has this idea that all drinks should live on the floor so they can't spill on any of my gears. what this means in practice is constant stream of spilt drink on the floor as the oaf will inevitably kick them over... starting with coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon, then in the late afternoon he starts spilling his beers.. i put my drink on the table.. which by the way, is no where near any of my gear!
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

oh i've got another one...

recording stereo tracks as two mono's and then cutting them up into usable takes.. no problem here, until i realise that i deleted one side of the stereo at the start.. and have to rebuild all the edits from trash..
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Reading Gearslutz instead of making tunes. I do less and less music and more and more Gearslutz...
Old 6th May 2012

usually scaring the shit out of my self when I get a feedback sound, it's usually because of the way i've setup my hardware samplers with the mixer.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers View Post
not me but my co-producer:

he has this idea that all drinks should live on the floor so they can't spill on any of my gears. what this means in practice is constant stream of spilt drink on the floor as the oaf will inevitably kick them over... starting with coffee in the morning, tea in the afternoon, then in the late afternoon he starts spilling his beers.. i put my drink on the table.. which by the way, is no where near any of my gear!
LOL! I know guys like that.

More of a DJ thing but similar to something already mentioned. One party I played an epic 3.5 hour Traktor set, started out with downtempo stuff, nu-disco and acid house, got more progressive and tech housey and then two hours of blistering techno. Went off! And recorded... 3.5 hours of silence!! Somehow recorded the sends instead of the master. D'OOOOOOOOH!!! :(
Old 6th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj2 View Post
..not finish a track and save it to the folder with hundreds of other patterns that aren't complete. Start a new pattern and do the same thing over again.
Hahahahah yeah bro, i m an expert when it comes to this shiiit
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Drink alcohol. For me it usually ends up in two scenarios.

1. One or two glasses of wine and you get really creative (good). Then you have a glass or two more. The timing gets screwed up, you get tired and can’t come up with anything good.
2. A bottle of wine is in your body. You are really creative and everything you do sounds awesome… a hit song is on its way. You wake up the next day and listen to the result… Not so good.
Old 6th May 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

step 1) Decide I need better organization of my rack cabinet

step 2) disconnect cables. Scribble partial notes on a piece of paper instead of carefully using labels and a spreadsheet.

step 3) discover that it's 1 in the morning

step 4) decide that "rewiring everything tomorrow will be harder", and go on working though I'm tired and groggy

step 5) make terrible rewiring mistakes. Nothing responds to nothing else.

step 6) finally give up, go to bed, remain awake worrying how the heck I will be able to rewire everything in the morning.

For really amazing effects, it can also be combined with:

step 0) decide "I'll do it tonight, because my hands are too tired to rehearse" (discover that a screwdriver used for hours hurts hands more than a keyboard)

and/or

step 00) mistakenly measure module Xxx, planning to insert it into the only two available free rack spaces, rotate all other modules, finally discover the obvious: module Xxx occupies THREE rack spaces.

and/or

step 000) add beer to the above

and/or

step 0000) add plane/train travel due at 5 the morning after
Old 6th May 2012
Record the perfect vocal take, then realize I forgot to mute the monitors

Old 6th May 2012

Detune two saw waves.
Old 6th May 2012
Gear addict

I watched a friend of mine session drumming with a well established band a few years ago. He played to a click in headphones and during the middle of the song he threw his sticks down, stood up and looked at the laptop/electronics guy in total shock. It was a full-house. The atmosphere was totally killed by this. Band arguments, really tense.

I asked what happened - he said the laptop guy "accidentally assigned Ableton's tempo to his filter knob". So while he was rocking-out and pulling filter faces, the drummer was getting tick.....tick....tick..tick.tickticktickccccfkffffffffffffffffffffffffff in his headphones.

Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Detune two saw waves.
The cool thing about that though, is that you never know what happens next.
Old 6th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by networkacid View Post
Jamming completely OTB, hit space bar on computer to stop music. Look puzzled. Duh.

Now you!
it happens to me all the time.. since I did my OTB setup.
I still reach for the computer keyboard to stop my MPC
the last sessions I just put the keyboard out of reach but i found myself instictively turning to reach the spot where normally the keyboard is.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Whatever it is, it usually involves liquids.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

I always go fart to that little equipment storage room and this hot vocalist girl once get there to see what microphones are there,I felt so stupid
Old 6th May 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid Legacy View Post
The cool thing about that though, is that you never know what happens next.
This is very true.

I'm doing it right now, because someone won't fit a heater.

Wearing hats or hoodies up, anything that covers the ears a bit.
Old 6th May 2012
Oli
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sorgenkind View Post
I still reach for the computer keyboard to stop my MPC
the last sessions I just put the keyboard out of reach but i found myself instictively turning to reach the spot where normally the keyboard is.
I often try to type on my MIDI control keyboard. It's usually something like CTRL+C ; I get the C and go looking for the CTRL key ... fvck, again
Old 6th May 2012
Gear maniac

Wonder why I can't hear any sound then realise...(insert anecdote here)

Also,

Attempt to manoeuvre around the iPad with my mouse.
Attempt to manoeuvre around my DAW by poking a finger at the screen.
Attempt to change vst patch with workstation arrow keys.
Old 6th May 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neodym View Post
I always go fart to that little equipment storage room and this hot vocalist girl once get there to see what microphones are there,I felt so stupid
come on: getting a "hot vocalist girl" in a small restricted space can't have been SO bad!
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Tune my Kick to my Moog... work work work... start laying down other parts... NOTHING is sitting right...

Oh crap. Moog was out of tune in the first place.

-andrews
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search