Login / Register

Deriving Inspiration. What are you doing?
New Reply
Subscribe
CaseyMartin
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear maniac

Deriving Inspiration. What are you doing?

I notice that when writing lyrics, I tend draw much of the emotional content from autobiographical origins. However, when I approach the same song from a sonic angle, I tend to allow the instruments and percussion take a more passive role in terms of conveying that feeling established by the words.

Whether this is a stylistic development of mine, or just inadequacy in my sound design and composition, I don't know. Just a trend I noticed.

What gets you in the mood to create? Is it emotionally driven? Is it just the urge to create? Do you just enjoy making fat ass beats?

Just curious.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I'm always in the mood, I just find any one element that sparks my interest, build it up and then add the rest.

Oops, yep, emotions tend to steer the direction very strongly, it's not really the emotions though, it;s how someone expresses them.
ozy
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
ozy
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyMartin View Post
What gets you in the mood to create? Is it emotionally driven?
destruction adds a lot to creation. It is the basis for creation.

Breaking old patterns, refuting old ideas.

forgetting something, losing something, changing places and people. moving, traveling.

Buying a synth? not [it usually leads just to plenty of sketches based on some preset: 98% of them, junk when listened to later). Selling one synth for buying another? Maybe. Because of the change.

losing something/someone and finding refuge in a good old friend (which could possibily be a musical instrument)? yes.

Quote:
Is it emotionally driven?
not just emotion.

Emotion is part of creation, but relying only on emotion will lead you only to cheesy riffs.

Quote:
Is it just the urge to create?
oh, THAT's powerful...

And again: urge to create is never as strong as just after a destruction or a loss or a change.
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
Gear interested

You could try the Oblique Strategy cards by Brian Eno to get those creative juices flowing.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search