Login / Register
 
Top Software Synths
New Reply
Subscribe
#61
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #61
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Posts: 279

zaxmalloy is offline
Maybe not the best, but here are the ones I find myself using most...

Paid
1) Diva - love the sound, hate the cpu crunch on my 2010 MBP
2) Logic Synths - aging for sure yet eminently useful
3) Rhino - Holiday bargain last year and a really under-rated piece of kit. Great FM source...sounds always sit well in the mix.


Free
1) Tyrell - Nice big U-he sound
2) Synth1 - What a Warhorse
3) Alchemy (Player)

Planned Purchases
1) Aalto: not an urgent need...can't figure out yet how I'll use it exactly...but unusual sounds and colors. When on sale, I plan to buy
2) NI Reaktor: Use the player but would love to dive further in the pool
3) Zebra
Analog Prophet
Thread Starter
#62
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #62
Lives for gear
 
Analog Prophet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 935

Thread Starter
Analog Prophet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Resonator View Post
Alchemy
Seems like many are happy with Alchemy. I have not used it, but I'm impressed of what they present on their webpage of Alchemy.
__________________
Music: www.analogprophet.com
Gear: www.soundofmusic.se
207638
#63
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #63
207638
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Sounds great, but does not add so much in addition to something that I guess is not to far from it soundwise - Nexus 2, that is one of my favorites (actually purchased two licenses - my son that also produce electronic music love it and the dongle can just be at one machine simultaneously... ). The sound of Nexus 2 (and ANA if I guess right) does not fight with other software synths and it does have wonderful filters - at least in my ears. And it fits right to the mix at once
ANA is a synth, Nexus is a sampler, they are very different, but yeah if by soundwise you mean "trancey" then yes, that's what they both are primarily used for.
#64
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #64
Gear addict
 
Hazmatic's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 496

Hazmatic is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
Free
1) Tyrell - Nice big U-he sound
2) Synth1 - What a Warhorse
I plan to give Synth1 a whirl. Why not, it's free, right? It's supposed to be modeled after a Nord Lead. How close does it come to sounding like a Nord?
#65
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,235

Synth Buddha is offline
Zebra
Omnisphere
Largo
Diva deserves a mention - it sounds great, it just doesn't excite me like, say, Zebra does
Alchemy... kind of. It's great, I just don't find the sound quality to be quite on par with the others mentioned here. That's due in part to more than a few shitty samples, but also something else that I haven't quite been able to put my finger on. Still, it CAN sound really good, and I do use it all the time.
Analog Prophet
Thread Starter
#66
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #66
Lives for gear
 
Analog Prophet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 935

Thread Starter
Analog Prophet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
ANA is a synth, Nexus is a sampler, they are very different
With all respect, but I don't agree at all. Honestly, when I read statements like that I understand that you have no idea of what you are talking about. So please specify why you consider ANA as a synth and not a sampler and Nexus a sampler and not a synth and why that is very differnt. What is a synthesizer and why can't a synthesizer be a sampler - or a sampler be a synthesizer?

Otherwise, young man, please hold your breath insted of criticize things you have no clue about how it works and why different technologies are labeled as they are - things are so much more complex than a simple stement of critisizme taken from nowhere. Sorry to say that, but I had to - it was just too stupid.
#67
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #67
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Brighton UK
Posts: 4,721

offki is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synth Buddha View Post
Zebra

Alchemy... kind of. It's great, I just don't find the sound quality to be quite on par with the others mentioned here. That's due in part to more than a few shitty samples, but also something else that I haven't quite been able to put my finger on. Still, it CAN sound really good, and I do use it all the time.
Alchemy gives you the choice and the freedom to make sounds most software or even hardware couldn't, just making bread and butter patches in it is kind of missing the point, you'd be better off using DCAM.
207638
#68
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #68
207638
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
With all respect, but I don't agree at all. Honestly, when I read statements like that I understand that you have no idea of what you are talking about. So please specify why you consider ANA as a synth and not a sampler and Nexus a sampler and not a synth and why that is very differnt. What is a synthesizer and why can't a synthesizer be a sampler - or a sampler be a synthesizer?

Otherwise, young man, please hold your breath insted of criticize things you have no clue about how it works and why different technologies are labeled as they are - things are so much more complex than a simple stement of critisizme taken from nowhere. Sorry to say that, but I had to - it was just too stupid.
...um...ANA is a synth because you can SYNTHESIS with it using oscillators, Nexus is a SAMPLER because you SAMPLE sounds and then modify them using FX, how in the world could you possibly say that it is a synth when it has no oscillators and you can't CREATE any sounds from it. It's a jacked up ableton sampler with a bunch of fx built into it with pretty samples.

Please, old man, explain to me how I am wrong without sounding like you have your denchers up your ass when I was just trying to help.

-EDIT: also when the **** did i ever criticize anything? I just said I like ana and that its different from nexus
#69
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 913

scottdavidson is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal
ANA is a synth, Nexus is a sampler, they are very different

With all respect, but I don't agree at all. Honestly, when I read statements like that I understand that you have no idea of what you are talking about. So please specify why you consider ANA as a synth and not a sampler and Nexus a sampler and not a synth and why that is very differnt. What is a synthesizer and why can't a synthesizer be a sampler - or a sampler be a synthesizer?

Otherwise, young man, please hold your breath insted of criticize things you have no clue about how it works and why different technologies are labeled as they are - things are so much more complex than a simple stement of critisizme taken from nowhere. Sorry to say that, but I had to - it was just too stupid.
Well to be fair nexus isnt even sampler, its a rompler.Its essentially a sample playback device with synthesis features.Anyone trying to sample anything using nexus will immediately appreciate that it is not in any way a sampler, it simply doesnt sample.

Just to make things even more complicated it should be noted that ANA also has sample oscillators as part of its noise and attack osc portions, so the whole definitions bcome even more blurred.

Of course the really important thing is that none of this actually matters, both make excellent sounds.
207638
#70
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #70
207638
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
Well to be fair nexus isnt even sampler, its a rompler.Its essentially a sample playback device with synthesis features.Anyone trying to sample anything using nexus will immediately appreciate that it is not in any way a sampler, it simply doesnt sample.

Just to make things even more complicated it should be noted that ANA also has sample oscillators as part of its noise and attack osc portions, so the whole definitions bcome even more blurred.

Of course the really important thing is that none of this actually matters, both make excellent sounds.
"A rompler is an electronic musical instrument that plays back samples stored in ROM chips to generate sound. Romplers lack the ability to record such samples and have limited or no capability for generating original waveforms. This is in contrast to samplers, which let the user record samples as well as play them back." - Wikipedia

A rompler is just an even more limited sampler which requires roms to sample...
#71
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #71
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 913

scottdavidson is offline
Quote:
"A rompler is an electronic musical instrument that plays back samples stored in ROM chips to generate sound. Romplers lack the ability to record such samples and have limited or no capability for generating original waveforms. This is in contrast to samplers, which let the user record samples as well as play them back." - Wikipedia

A rompler is just an even more limited sampler which requires roms to sample...

Im not really sure what the purpose of posting that wikki quote is. It merely reinforces what ive already said....ie that nexus is NOT a sampler.

The simple truth is that it is neither a sampler or a synth in the truest sense of those words.It doesnt sample, yet it relies on samples to generate sound for its synthesis engine, its a fairly obvious distinction.

Sound generating devices dont have to fall into two distinct categories of either A."synth" or B"sampler". There are many devices which blurr the distinction to the point where it becomes meaningless.Nexus is one of these devices, so is a roland Jv1080, so are the multitude of digital synths which use sampled oscillator waveforms e.g ANA.
207638
#72
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #72
207638
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
Im not really sure what the purpose of posting that wikki quote is. It merely reinforces what ive already said....ie that nexus is NOT a sampler.

The simple truth is that it is neither a sampler or a synth in the truest sense of those words.It doesnt sample, yet it relies on samples to generate sound for its synthesis engine, its a fairly obvious distinction.

Sound generating devices dont have to fall into two distinct categories of either A."synth" or B"sampler". There are many devices which blurr the distinction to the point where it becomes meaningless.Nexus is one of these devices, so is a roland Jv1080, so are the multitude of digital synths which use sampled oscillator waveforms e.g ANA.
the point was that it is a sampler...just one that is limited to ROMS, it is incapable of taking direct audio files, but it can if they are in roms, so literally it is just a worse form of a sampler. And I agree the distinctions are minor but it doesn't belong in a synth thread, I've seen countless "Nexus is the best synth" threads that get flamed to hell because the OP thinks using presets and adjusting the ADSR makes him a master synthesizer, don't get me wrong though I have nothing against samples
#73
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #73
Lives for gear
 
maisonvague's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 3,936

maisonvague is offline
Yikes. Gotta love GS.

Anyway... first, I should say I'm not a softsynth guy, though I do like them. I work mostly with hardware synths. So please don't laugh at my list because I already know it's lame compared to most of your lists.

1. Moog Modular V -- I really enjoy working with this synth, regardless of whether or not it sounds authentic. At times, though, it really does remind me of the Moog System 55 I worked with in college.

2. Thor -- This is my favorite synth from the Reason package. Lots of creative potential. Can cover a lot of bases. Or should I say "basses?" lol. OK. Right. Moving on...

3. Hybrid -- As the name would suggest, this one is capable of both analog and digital flavors. While I likely wouldn't make an entire track using only this, it can sound quite good in a mix. Requires Pro Tools.
#74
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #74
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 913

scottdavidson is offline
Quote:
the point was that it is a sampler
Ok its a sampler that cant sample.

some people call such a device a rompler.
#75
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #75
Lives for gear
 
peter_martin's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Somewhere in Texas
Posts: 882

peter_martin is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post



What constitues "musical" is a fairly subjective term,but i do get what you mean, Aalto is not exactly a go to bread and butter type synth, but can make some very beautiful sounds.
absolutely agree.

For me, musical means playability (keyboard wise), something that inspires the main melodic theme or element.

It is beautiful and can create amazing sounds, but sound does not equal musical. It excels at atmosphere.

Its going to get major use on my next ambient album, so.
207638
#76
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #76
207638
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottdavidson View Post
Ok its a sampler that cant sample.

some people call such a device a rompler.
...ok, well either way its not a synth in any case

also despite how I know you're going to keep saying the same thing, it can sample, it samples ROMs, just not audio files...thus it is a type of sampler called a rompler
#77
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #77
Lives for gear
 
jbuonacc's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,129

jbuonacc is offline
?? Aalto can do some pretty 'traditional' synth sounds as well.
#78
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #78
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 272

Hi PHi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Alchemy gives you the choice and the freedom to make sounds most software or even hardware couldn't, just making bread and butter patches in it is kind of missing the point, you'd be better off using DCAM.
^^^This. I think the best use of Alchemy is the spectral/additive/granular sampling. Especially the ability to morph between samples. All the modulation capabilities are amazing, too.

That said, I am able to turn a promising sound into a pile of crap pretty fast in Alchemy.
Analog Prophet
Thread Starter
#79
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Analog Prophet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 935

Thread Starter
Analog Prophet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
...um...ANA is a synth because you can SYNTHESIS with it using oscillators, Nexus is a SAMPLER because you SAMPLE sounds and then modify them using FX, how in the world could you possibly say that it is a synth when it has no oscillators and you can't CREATE any sounds from it. It's a jacked up ableton sampler with a bunch of fx built into it with pretty samples.

Please, old man, explain to me how I am wrong without sounding like you have your denchers up your ass when I was just trying to help.

-EDIT: also when the **** did i ever criticize anything? I just said I like ana and that its different from nexus
So you mean that if an oscillator is based on an algorithm that simulate a voltage controlled oscillator it is a synth and if the algorithm for the oscillator simulate a sampled waveform it is a sampler - or what? With that kind of statements there are no virtual synthesizers at all, software or hardware, just ROMplers without a ROM chip (and that is ofcourse not true). There are no voltage controlled oscillators in a computer, just mathematic algoritms, regardless if what that mathematic algorithm simulates.

To make it clear: Once in the early days of synthesizers (the 80s) the computer power that was needed for the earliests samples were very limited (except for some mega dollar monsters like Fairlight CMI, and NED Synclavier with the sampling option and some more - costed like a small Cesna airplane at that time). Therefore a sampler could not synthesize the signal in a way that made it to a synthesizer. Cheaper variants were ROM (Read Only Memory) memory was cheaper and ROMplers became popular - similar to sample players but with the waveforms stored in a Burnt in to a ROM, PROM or EPROM memory (and some other later variants). But they were still not synthesizers that could synthesis he signal part in a way that made it to synthesizers.

Later on computer memory became cheaper and more powerful and samplers could synthesize the signal. Samplers became synthesizers with sampled waveforms and later on also virtual synthesizers in different forms.

Today sampler can sample audio and process/synthesis that and a sampler is today almost always a synthesizer. But a synthesizer does not need to be able to sample to be a synthesizer.

So far I'm aware of (I can be wrong here) a performer of Nexus 2 can not sample - and is therefore not a sampler, but a synthesizer based on sampled waveforms. And ANA is, so far I know (have not one, just read on their web page and watched videos after some good words of ANA in this thread) a synthesizer with different synthesis methods, among them sampled waveforms (I quote from their web page: "...These Include fundamental analog, modern digital and sampled string and voice waveforms...". It does not say anything about ability for the performer to sample own waveforms (but I can missed that one) - that makes it to a sampler/not a sampler, but still an awesome synth

Conclusion:
A sampler is today synthesizer with ability to sample audio and process/synthesis that waveform through filters, envelope generators, modulation matrixes etc.

A sample player is about the same, exept that the performer can not sample audio but just use the sample waveforms provided by the manufacturer - the sample feature is locked (mainly because the manufacturer wants you invest more money in their products and when that is made the sample option is unlocked).

A synthesizer can be a sampler, sample player or something else that can synthesis an analog or digital signal in some form or another.

Do you understand, young man BTW, I was mayby a little bit harsh to you - I apologize for that, that was bad behavior of me, sorry.
207638
#80
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #80
207638
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
So you mean that if an oscillator is based on an algorithm that simulate a voltage controlled oscillator it is a synth and if the algorithm for the oscillator simulate a sampled waveform it is a sampler - or what? With that kind of statements there are no virtual synthesizers at all, software or hardware, just ROMplers without a ROM chip (and that is ofcourse not true). There are no voltage controlled oscillators in a computer, just mathematic algoritms, regardless if what that mathematic algorithm simulates.

To make it clear: Once in the early days of synthesizers (the 80s) the computer power that was needed for the earliests samples were very limited (except for some mega dollar monsters like Fairlight CMI, and NED Synclavier with the sampling option and some more - costed like a small Cesna airplane at that time). Therefore a sampler could not synthesize the signal in a way that made it to a synthesizer. Cheaper variants were ROM (Read Only Memory) memory was cheaper and ROMplers became popular - similar to sample players but with the waveforms stored in a Burnt in to a ROM, PROM or EPROM memory (and some other later variants). But they were still not synthesizers that could synthesis he signal part in a way that made it to synthesizers.

Later on computer memory became cheaper and more powerful and samplers could synthesize the signal. Samplers became synthesizers with sampled waveforms and later on also virtual synthesizers in different forms.

Today sampler can sample audio and process/synthesis that and a sampler is today almost always a synthesizer. But a synthesizer does not need to be able to sample to be a synthesizer.

So far I'm aware of (I can be wrong here) a performer of Nexus 2 can not sample - and is therefore not a sampler, but a synthesizer based on sampled waveforms. And ANA is, so far I know (have not one, just read on their web page and watched videos after some good words of ANA in this thread) a synthesizer with different synthesis methods, among them sampled waveforms (I quote from their web page: "...These Include fundamental analog, modern digital and sampled string and voice waveforms...". It does not say anything about ability for the performer to sample own waveforms (but I can missed that one) - that makes it to a sampler/not a sampler, but still an awesome synth

Conclusion:
A sampler is today synthesizer with ability to sample audio and process/synthesis that waveform through filters, envelope generators, modulation matrixes etc.

A sample player is about the same, exept that the performer can not sample audio but just use the sample waveforms provided by the manufacturer - the sample feature is locked (mainly because the manufacturer wants you invest more money in their products and when that is made the sample option is unlocked).

A synthesizer can be a sampler, sample player or something else that can synthesis an analog or digital signal in some form or another.

Do you understand, young man BTW, I was mayby a little bit harsh to you - I apologize for that, that was bad behavior of me, sorry.
I see what you mean now, but by a more understandable and (from what I've read on KVR) accepted terminology is that synth uses raw wave forms through oscillators while a sampler just modifies samples. Yes ANA samples the fundamental waveforms like the sine, different pulse types, triangle, etc... but that's not something I would really consider sampling because a sine is a fundamental, it isn't being created in the moment there but it the most basic form of music and thus creates any other sound.

I guess in the same sense if Nexus had a sample pack of fundamental waves it would then by my definition be a synth as well, but its obvious that nexus is meant more for use to pull up some sounds, modify them using the fx, adsr, gate, arp, etc... and there you have your sound, whereas ana is intended for sound design from scratch, but I guess you are right in a way. I was just trying to say that they are (I'd assume most of the time) used in different manners, I have both though.

and it's fine I was having a rough morning as well
#81
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #81
Lives for gear
 
Zombie H's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,727

Zombie H is offline
does anyone else here like the Arturia minimoog?

Ive compared some of it's sounds to my mini and it's surprisingly good at capturing the 'essential' tone. Where it falls off a cliff is playing response tho - feels like you're doing it in slow motion with Arturia

I've checked out the Osc section and it sounds good , I'm going to try and compare the filter section next


...ive also been messing around with Universal Oddity and I like that a lot
#82
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #82
Lives for gear
 
aunshui's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: New York

aunshui is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc View Post
?? Aalto can do some pretty 'traditional' synth sounds as well.
Absolutely - I've gotten some excellent bread and butter basses from it, everything from acidy-303 sounds to fat moog-esqe tones, and that's before you dig into the (phenomenal) FM capabilities.

That said, my favorite feature of late has to be the "scale" function - recently I've been writing music with eastern elements, and being able to explore different scales, especially with the step sequencer, has been tremendous inspiration. The waveshaper/delay is another favorite - instant lo-fi eastern bowed strings! Someone on the Aalto forums posted a phenomenal Dizi (Chinese Flute) patch, which I highly recommend to anyone interested.

Aalto is my secret weapon - not many people have it, and the things you can do with it are just amazing - especially for the price!
__________________
soundcloud
#83
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #83
Lives for gear
 
Synth Buddha's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,235

Synth Buddha is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
Alchemy gives you the choice and the freedom to make sounds most software or even hardware couldn't, just making bread and butter patches in it is kind of missing the point, you'd be better off using DCAM.
True. I have no idea how you think that what you just posted relates to what I posted, though.
Analog Prophet
Thread Starter
#84
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #84
Lives for gear
 
Analog Prophet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 935

Thread Starter
Analog Prophet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
does anyone else here like the Arturia minimoog?

Ive compared some of it's sounds to my mini and it's surprisingly good at capturing the 'essential' tone. Where it falls off a cliff is playing response tho - feels like you're doing it in slow motion with Arturia

I've checked out the Osc section and it sounds good , I'm going to try and compare the filter section next
Yes, I use it, and even the complete Arturia analog software synth package, including the new awesome SEM V and the Analog Laboratory keyboard and software. The Minimoog V was a favourite to me, until just recently when I bought U-he Diva with a Minimoog that I like even more than the good sounding Minimoog V.
#85
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #85
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Paris
Posts: 880

Fred_Abstract is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantomen View Post
1. Sylenth
2. Omnisphere/Trillian
3. NI Massive

This trio is really amazing. I haven't turned on my Virus TI in the last 3 monts... and hardly used any of the other softsynths I have (Nexus, Dune, Gladiator,...)

for what kind of sound you find massive more suited than the other 2 ? i m not very familiar with it
#86
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #86
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Posts: 279

zaxmalloy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
I plan to give Synth1 a whirl. Why not, it's free, right? It's supposed to be modeled after a Nord Lead. How close does it come to sounding like a Nord?
I'm not sure what Synth1 is based on...

but what I can say is it is an extremely powerful synthesizer.

Now, it is 32 bit, and it looks like a grade school science project - decidedly low tech. And there are so many patches for it (there's a download where you can get about 1,000 at once) that's it's easy to dismiss it as ordinary just because of the sheer amount of mediocrity.

But spend some time with it and you'll be impressed not only with its musicality, but its range. Salt and pepper to taste with some effects and it can sound very good while demanding a very low CPU profile.

Now, I don't want to be over promising...it isn't all that. Compare it to something like Zebra and if you're expecting same you might wonder WTF this old fart talking about. But IMHO for the price (free) it's pretty high and mighty.
#87
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #87
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Great White North
Posts: 2,486

shponglefan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Seems like many are happy with Alchemy. I have not used it, but I'm impressed of what they present on their webpage of Alchemy.
To be honest, I was somewhat disappointed with it when I tried it. It can certainly do a lot and I suppose if you are loading your own samples, it's worthwhile. But I found too much overlap with other VSTs I already had. So YMMV.
#88
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #88
Lives for gear
 
shponglefan's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Great White North
Posts: 2,486

shponglefan is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Decebal View Post
the point was that it is a sampler...just one that is limited to ROMS
I don't think anyone would call those "sampler". Sampler usually implies the ability to load ones' own samples.

Kinda like Omnisphere. Nobody calls it a sampler, it's a ROMpler/synth hybrid.
#89
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #89
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Minnetonka, MN
Posts: 279

zaxmalloy is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analog Prophet View Post
Yes, I use it, and even the complete Arturia analog software synth package, including the new awesome SEM V and the Analog Laboratory keyboard and software. The Minimoog V was a favourite to me, until just recently when I bought U-he Diva with a Minimoog that I like even more than the good sounding Minimoog V.
How do you like your Analog Lab controller? Notice Hello Music has a deal on it for $275 right now and you get 3 Arturia instruments in addition to that.

Do functions like the arpeggiator on it work over midi or in your DAW or only with the Lab?

Looking to potentially replace an old Axiom 25...
Analog Prophet
Thread Starter
#90
4th May 2012
Old 4th May 2012
  #90
Lives for gear
 
Analog Prophet's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Stockholm, Sweden
Posts: 935

Thread Starter
Analog Prophet is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy View Post
How do you like your Analog Lab controller? Notice Hello Music has a deal on it for $275 right now and you get 3 Arturia instruments in addition to that.

Do functions like the arpeggiator on it work over midi or in your DAW or only with the Lab?

Looking to potentially replace an old Axiom 25...
I don't like the controller. The keyboard feels cheap and the sliders are not good. But the rotary controllers are smooth and nice. And the look is wonderful.

Never tested the arpeggio over MIDI so I can't answer that question.

But the deal you have is a good deal and I should go for it - it's a lot of good value for the money.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
sguali / Music Computers
16
vocalman / So much gear, so little time!
3
filmgirl / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
10
majortom / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
26
island-dave / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
0

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.