Graduation coming up, buying a "cheap" analog synth
jasonm911
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear interested

Graduation coming up, buying a "cheap" analog synth

I've been making music for almost 5 years now and the most i've ever gotten is a midi controller, I love making music, I'm very good at mastering... I just want a cheap analog synthesizer that would last me for awhile during this next gap year i'd be taking after high school. I'm looking for a synth under 700$, even though I have a job and i have the ability to save more money. I have looked at the newest Arturia MiniBrute and I am very interested but I'm sure there are others that will ploy me away from that.
myzoneiswet's sounds on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

For new synths, the Minitaur, Minibrute, Mopho (module), a few MFB synths, Doepfer Dark Energy, to name a few would fit that price range.

If you're willing to shop used, you could get a Slim Phatty, Mopho key, Tetra, various older Poly-analogs (JX-3P, JX-8P, Juno 106, Polysix, etc).

Ultimately, it will depends on what your needs are and what types of sounds you're looking for...
jasonm911
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
For new synths, the Minitaur, Minibrute, Mopho (module), a few MFB synths, Doepfer Dark Energy, to name a few would fit that price range.

If you're willing to shop used, you could get a Slim Phatty, Mopho key, Tetra, various older Poly-analogs (JX-3P, JX-8P, Juno 106, Polysix, etc).
I almost forgot about all the old, used synths lying on a desolate floor that I could be using. I feel like craigslist could be a good option for my self too, but what synth out of the several that you mentioned has a well, great built up sound that could be used in the makings of (what i like to make) a vintage, memorium to the great decade of idm from 92-02?
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by shponglefan View Post
-snip-
/thread
jasonm911
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by aunshui View Post
/thread
I'm going to ****ing kill you /thread
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm911 View Post
I'm going to ****ing kill you /thread
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoozer View Post
Roland SH-101.

DnB 1996 (LolaDaMusica) part1: Squarepusher - YouTube (starts around 1:30)
He said under $700. Tough to pull one of those for that price these days.

OP if you've already got a MIDI controller then Tetra or Slim Phatty will give you the most bang for your buck if you're buying current. The Tetra is the most versatile option in that price range.

If you're willing to go retro, then a Korg DW-8000 (hybrid), Alpha Juno, or JX3p can all be had with enough left over for another nice piece like a Mopho module or Maschine Micro.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012

Threats are not allowed here. Doesn't matter if it's a figure of speech.
It's also rude.
infraction earned.
28th April 2012
Old 28th April 2012
Gear addict

Poly=Juno 106

Mono=Micromoog

Micromoog will be way weirder and better for IDM
30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Gear addict

Gakken SX 150. You can drive it using any audio source. So play a sequence on a soft synth and patch it over, the Gakken will follow it. Super cheap. Check out this jam at 1:20 or so.

30th April 2012
Old 30th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonm911 View Post
great built up sound that could be used in the makings of (what i like to make) a vintage, memorium to the great decade of idm from 92-02?
Ensoniq ESQ-1, Alesis Quadraverb Plus, 2 or GT and a used MINIBRUTE in a few months.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search