Alien Devices Modded TR-606 = WOW
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
I don't agree with you, that attitude smacks of how people reacted to the first electric guitar or when people first started using distortion as a sound.

Instruments by design are made to encourage creativity by any and all means.

Just think about Eddie Van Halen's famous "Frankenstein" guitar, an entire style of playing electric guitar forever changed because of EVH and you can't seperate him, his playing style and his own mods to the electric guitar.

It's just about creativity and expression.

-andrews
I dont agree with you either, if the TR-606 was still being made I'd say go right ahead...and there not the same way as guitars which are still being produced. Besides that, as I said before modding seems to appeal to noobs the most, they get interested in this...destroy a couple of machines and lose interest and move on. Also why not do it to stuff thats in production? Like Jomox or something..or just get a DSI Tempest which has a ton more control.
Old 1st May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeoin View Post
I recently just picked up a 606. It needs servicing and I really want to get it modded also. I just had a look at the beasts website. Those mods are unreal. However in the faq area he says he is no longer accepting 606s/303s for modding. Anyone know why? I sent him an email. No reply yet
I know, I want one too! I also emailed him and didn't get a reply... maybe he's not in the biz anymore?
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
they get interested in this...destroy a couple of machines and lose interest and move on.
That's a criticism against people who suck at electronics (especially circuit benders), not modification in general.

Quote:
Also why not do it to stuff thats in production? Like Jomox or something..
Because they use surface mount components and don't give out schematics, for starters.

Quote:
or just get a DSI Tempest which has a ton more control.
They're also entirely different and unrelated instruments.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
...as I said before modding seems to appeal to noobs the most, they get interested in this...
pretty broad reaching statement to make

from my own experience i've found that modding appeals to all sorts, noob and the veteran, yes there are plenty of poorly done mods out there such as the one done to my own 606, but there are plenty of quality mods done by people with many years of experience as well
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I dont agree with you either, if the TR-606 was still being made I'd say go right ahead...and there not the same way as guitars which are still being produced. Besides that, as I said before modding seems to appeal to noobs the most, they get interested in this...destroy a couple of machines and lose interest and move on. Also why not do it to stuff thats in production? Like Jomox or something..or just get a DSI Tempest which has a ton more control.
That's your opinion, and I can respect that. From your post, it would seem that you are more toward the vintage gear collector persuasion- not that there's anything wrong with that.

My view as a working musician is however, different. I think that the TR-606 makes an *excellent* platform to work off of in terms of mods. It's 1) relatively inexpensive (325-425 USD), 2) they made a TON of them, and 3) there is plenty of room for improvement in terms of mods.

I for one would be very interested in 'the beast' mod for this! So if anyone can tell me how to get in contact with him (I emailed weeks ago but no reply), I would greatly appreciate it!

P.S. BTW, I am far from being a noob (been producing electronic music for the better part of 25 years), so I can't say that I agree with your 'noob' statement.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Why would you not mod it?

It wasn't an especially impressive piece of kit to begin with. The only value ascribed to it was by speculation from collectors. If they weren't so "expensive," would anyone really care?

It's a musical instrument, it's meant to be used. Granted, modifying most things seems to decrease the value, unless someone really wants the upgrades. But, it seems to bring new function to a vintage piece. It's the ideal combination of tone/function/value.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

I'd probably talk shit if someone was circuit-bending a 909/808 though.

For that price, there are other things that you can mangle.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
I'd probably talk shit if someone was circuit-bending a 909/808 though.

For that price, there are other things that you can mangle.
Agreed !
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

....as long as it isn't any of those super bright blue led mods, arg those things kill my eyes
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrvana8775 View Post
Why would you not mod it?

It wasn't an especially impressive piece of kit to begin with. The only value ascribed to it was by speculation from collectors. If they weren't so "expensive," would anyone really care?
They're not even expensive, really. $3-400.
Old 2nd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttown23 View Post
P.S. BTW, I am far from being a noob (been producing electronic music for the better part of 25 years), so I can't say that I agree with your 'noob' statement.
I didn't say just noobs, I said noobs mostly...

Anyway if you can mod a TR-606 but can also restore it to the original state without drilling stupid holes in it, thoes kind of mods are ok.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I didn't say just noobs, I said noobs mostly...

Anyway if you can mod a TR-606 but can also restore it to the original state without drilling stupid holes in it, thoes kind of mods are ok.
Hahaha this post made me laugh, way to back-peddle.

First we have the soup N**i and now the mod N**i.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

I should have bought a 606 when they were a 100bux..

Now the current going rate plus the price for mods doesn't make it worth it to me. IMO of course.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have some tracks up with your modded box?

Its just all the music I heard didn't feature a modded 606, so in reality a 606 sounds just fine on its own, when I heard modded 606 I thought it was cheesy and not really worth it.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

One of the biggest let downs with the TR-606 was the kick for me
I liked the snare and highhats, this mod gave me an awsome sounding kick
And if you didn,t listen to this track before maybe you should now

Nothing cheesy about it for me, mostly Modded TR-606 drum tracks in this

http://soundcloud.com/lovekrafty/hollo

LK
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

I like those drums. They seem like they'd work well with the ambient/electro stuff that I do.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you have some tracks up with your modded box?

Its just all the music I heard didn't feature a modded 606, so in reality a 606 sounds just fine on its own, when I heard modded 606 I thought it was cheesy and not really worth it.
I don't have a modded 606 yet? That was my whole point a few posts above, I am trying to get in touch with 'the beast' to do my box...
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear interested

i think there are 2 ways to look at it, one is to treat all this instruments as a museum artifacts and you can collect them. the other is to try to get as much out of your instruments as you can. i do the latter as i look at this as my tools to make music. i really don´t regret modding my sh101 it´s probably the most used thing im my studio, and i´ve noticed people are often asking me how i get these sounds that im doing with it.

Quote:
modded TR machines sound extremely cheesy

seriously, stop modding these precious instruments, they are not going to be remade again

its like when noobs get into this, the first thing they want to do is to mod it

when I was getting my SH-101 fixed the tech was offering mods for it, see they dont give a shit they just want money
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
modded TR machines sound extremely cheesy

seriously, stop modding these precious instruments, they are not going to be remade again

its like when noobs get into this, the first thing they want to do is to mod it

when I was getting my SH-101 fixed the tech was offering mods for it, see they dont give a shit they just want money
I'd have to disagree also. Also not a "noob" to music technology, gear or production. Have been happily producing electronic music for close to 20 years now. New to this forum maybe but that's about it. Also there are plenty of functional modifications that can be applied to these machines that do nothing but make these units more flexible and versatile without infringing upon their character or timbre in any way. Midi capability and individual outputs are modifications of this type. I'd consider these at least to be essential modifications for integration into any modern setup. You're probably right about going any further than that though (tone, decay mods etc). However having said that, I have never had hands on experience of a more extensively modified unit. They do look like a lot of fun to use though. And what use is it all if you're not enjoying yourself anyways?
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by acreil View Post
That's a criticism against people who suck at electronics (especially circuit benders), not modification in general.

Because they user surface mount components and don't give out schematics, for starters.

They're also entirely different and unrelated instruments.
Fully agree.
Not too mention the price difference between some of these instruments. Old 606 + mods = 300-600euro (a totally original one of a kind instrument)
DS tempest = 1800euro (mass produced)
Old 3rd May 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
I don't have a modded 606 yet? That was my whole point a few posts above, I am trying to get in touch with 'the beast' to do my box...
surely exfade is closer to home for you?? i spoke to him about 6 months back. he does super mods.
Old 3rd May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
surely exfade is closer to home for you?? i spoke to him about 6 months back. he does super mods.
Actually I don't know who that is? Can you PM me his info., as that would be great to have him do it if he is in the SoCal area.

Also, I have a TR-505 that I am DYING to have modded!
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Midi capability
not worth ruining it imo, you want midi...get a dinsync/midi or midi-cv converter
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

How is that ruining it? In the end what has changed?
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
not worth ruining it imo, you want midi...get a dinsync/midi or midi-cv converter
I,m curious, do you own a TR-606?

LK
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

no I want one
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oculus View Post
i think there are 2 ways to look at it, one is to treat all this instruments as a museum artifacts and you can collect them. the other is to try to get as much out of your instruments as you can. i do the latter as i look at this as my tools to make music. i really don´t regret modding my sh101 it´s probably the most used thing im my studio, and i´ve noticed people are often asking me how i get these sounds that im doing with it.

+1 I totally agree. Tweak, mod, whatever you need to make an instrument best for you.

That whole anti-mod attitude smacks of a collector and not musician.

Musicians have been modding instruments from the start of music (and hence, the creation of many instruments which include the entire genre we are here for).

I've got a modded Roland 808 (gasp!!!) and it's killer... When people ask about a great sounding kick of mine, they aren't worrying about the mod, they emotionally responding to something that simply sounds good.

Now, in the spirit of music, the core reason we are all here (supposedly), how is that a bad thing?

-andrews

P.S. I also have a EXFademodded 606... makes it do things no other machine can. Sounds good... that makes it... uh... good.
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
P.S. I also have a EXFademodded 606... makes it do things no other machine can. Sounds good... that makes it... uh... good.
do you have any tracks up that you made with your circuit bent equipment?
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
That whole anti-mod attitude smacks of a collector and not musician.

Musicians have been modding instruments from the start of music (and hence, the creation of many instruments which include the entire genre we are here for).
so you are only a "musician" if you want to mod.. ok.
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
do you have any tracks up that you made with your circuit bent equipment?
So if you,ve never used either, what is your basis of comparison?
The internet?

Having individual 1/4 outputs that you can then add say
Reverb to the snare as opposed to a 1/8 output with everything mixed together
Make my modded drum machine very usefull

Having velocity sensative MIDI also makes it extremely
Dynamic and useful

Being able to adjust the length of the snare and kick
Also makes it useful

Having individual adjustable analogue filters on the snare, hihats and cymbals
Makes it useful

Being able to adjust the tom tunings makes it usefull

Infact put this all together and it makes the tr-606 a very usefull
Analogue drum machine.

I own a JOMOX xbase-09 and in some ways the modded TR-606
Sounds better to my ears.

It,s one thing to critisize people for having modded TR-606s
But to not even own one is a tad bit hypocritical

Why don,t you go Troll on a non modded TR-606 thread.....
LK
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search