Massive Electro synth sound
Psylum
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Head

Massive Electro synth sound

what's up guys, i'm working on a new track and i'm having a hard time designing the lead sound.
here's a link to the sound I'm trying to achieve

@0:03 it almost sounds like a majorly processed electric guitar riff

MSTRKRFT - breakaway (Blende remix) - YouTube

ease up i'm not an electro dude, just experimenting with a blend of Techno & Electro
any help on how to come up with a close sound would be hugely appreciated
what VST to use, if there's a sample kit out there with similar sounds
and how to use a VST to come up with the sound

I believe David Tort made a similar sound as well but it's more of a synth sound
it appears @1:30

David Tort - School Of 88 (Original Mix) - YouTube

it's basically a polyrhythm of a pimp a** synth playing in two octaves

PS: I have Sylenth1, I use both Ableton & FL Studio
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear nut

To my knowledge mstrkrft use all analog hardware. Figuring how mstrkrft is the bassist and producer of dfa1979, id say the processed guitar is a good call...
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylum View Post
I believe David Tort made a similar sound as well but it's more of a synth sound
it appears @1:30

David Tort - School Of 88 (Original Mix) - YouTube
Guess where he got that riff from - KLF - Last Train to Trancentral HD (sNEaKY uPLOaDeR miX) - YouTube

The sound uses bog-standard dual saws with a resonant bandpass filter, but it doesn't sound anything like the MSTRKRFT track.

Quote:
it's basically a polyrhythm of a pimp a** synth playing in two octaves
That's not a polyrhythm

For the first example, processing guitar would be an option. Fuzz distortion, bitcrushing, and then resampling the result so you can play it all over the keyboard without running into the typical bitcrush artifacts.
Psylum
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnn_out! View Post
To my knowledge mstrkrft use all analog hardware. Figuring how mstrkrft is the bassist and producer of dfa1979, id say the processed guitar is a good call...
so do you know any VSTs that probably sample guitars which I can process later on ?!

or any sample libraries

Quote:
but it doesn't sound anything like the MSTRKRFT track.
i'm aware of that, like I said I'm not trying to copy a specific sound into my track
I'm trying to manipulate similar sounds which works with my track
the point is i'm trying to make an aggressive lead in a psychedelic pattern
which reminds me :D
Quote:
That's not a polyrhythm
does it have to be two different sounds ?! for instance what do you say about psychedelic basslines, it's the same sound running into two different octaves the same concept is implied by david tort in a different way (it's not running the whole 16th swung-ed)
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear maniac

The first one sounds like is a loop of a very short section of some sound. When I mean short, I mean just a few milliseconds.
Psylum
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Head

thanks for your reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toth View Post
The first one sounds like is a loop of a very short section of some sound. When I mean short, I mean just a few milliseconds.
any ideas what kind of sound it is ?! maybe a guitar sample or even what waveform is it ?!

do you have any other ideas of an aggressive sounding lead, got any track in mind ?!
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear addict

For the first sound, check out Reason's Vocoder in equaliser mode and play with the band settings and the shift knob and add some Scream in parallell(Audio merger/splitter).
Psylum
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
For the first sound, check out Reason's Vocoder in equaliser mode and play with the band settings and the shift knob and add some Scream in parallell(Audio merger/splitter).
sounds pretty much like it, but is there any chance this is imply-able in Ableton or Fl Studio as I don't have Reason

I googled it but with no luck, please let me know as I'll be using similar sounds a lot in the near future
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psylum View Post
so do you know any VSTs that probably sample guitars which I can process later on ?!
Sample existing tracks.

Quote:
does it have to be two different sounds ?!
No, but in this case, the bandpass-arpeggio and the fifths on the background are in sync - they're not played in different signatures. They're both 16-step sequences.

Try combining a 16-step and a 12-step sequence together, then you'll get a polyrhythmic sequence going.

Anyway, here, catch this Sylenth1 preset.

edit: urgh, I hate this. Since my 1212m no longer works I can't hear Youtube videos and Ableton Live next to eachother anymore because ASIO4ALL won't let me.

The original needs PWM, and instead of a filter, an EQ might work better, if you use a high Q (this results in a sharp peak at the cutoff frequency). Not my finest hour, but it's late.

edit: added second version w/ Sylenth1's fake PWM, probably not much better.
Attached Files
File Type: zip KLFArp.zip (582 Bytes, 12 views) File Type: mp3 klfarp.mp3 (724.5 KB, 75 views)
File Type: zip klfarp2.zip (586 Bytes, 16 views)
Psylum
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Head

will try that out thanks a bunch for your help bro
appreciated
Psylum
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Head

@yoozer that's pretty much spot on
thanks a million i'll be experimenting with these sounds now