Fear of the Arturia MiniBrute
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I think it's fantastic that companies are trying to make hardware analogs that nearly anyone with a semi-decent job could afford.
Yes, and I think it won't be long before the big 3 (Roland, Korg and Yamaha) follow suit. If a company much smaller can do it (Arturia), so can they. Heck, Korg already tested the waters with the Monotron and Monotribe, the next logical step for them would be to make a Minibrute-styled synth.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear
In 1981, I bought my first synth, a Realistic/Moog MG-1. I was in Radio Shack for something or the other, and they had one out; I fiddled with it until they gave me dirty looks, came back the next day with $300 -- about $700 inflation-adjusted -- and had a blast. (I parted with it a few years later, with no regrets, and the buyer seemed quite happy to acquire it.)

The MG-1 had 2 oscillators and a 2-1/2 octave keyboard, but in every other spec the MiniBrute looks to be a much higher value. (And its single oscillator beats the two MG-1 ones hands down.)
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

The MG-1 wasn't too shabby and was a pleasure to play with.

One of the major criticisms with the Minibrute is that it is a "toy." Well, toys are meant to be played with! Amazing things can be done with "toys." Just look at some of the great stuff that is done with a Monotron. Or a Microkorg. Or an OP-1. And so on...

For someone to simply dismiss the Minibrute as just a "toy" is to proudly exclaim that you have a very limited scope in terms of making music and creativity. From what I've seen so far, the Minibrute looks like it has LOTS of potential.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
The MG-1 wasn't too shabby and was a pleasure to play with.

One of the major criticisms with the Minibrute is that it is a "toy." Well, toys are meant to be played with! Amazing things can be done with "toys." Just look at some of the great stuff that is done with a Monotron. Or a Microkorg. Or an OP-1. And so on...

For someone to simply dismiss the Minibrute as just a "toy" is to proudly exclaim that you have a very limited scope in terms of making music and creativity. From what I've seen so far, the Minibrute looks like it has LOTS of potential.
Couldn't agree more, there a ton of instruments that could be passed off as "toys" but are no doubt, AMAZING... take an EDP Wasp as a perfect example!

-andrews
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Matrix Modulator

Truly creative people love toys of all stripes and flavors.

Posers are into delineating creative tools as toy vs non-toy for no reason other than ego puffing.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous View Post

Truly creative people love toys of all stripes and flavors.

Posers are into delineating creative tools as toy vs non-toy for no reason other than ego puffing.
A-frickin'-men!!!!

I mean, when I'm into a track, you never know what the next part might call for and at that point, I'm open to ANYTHING and whatever makes THE BEST part... that could be a memorymoog or it could be a Speak n' Spell!

-andrews
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

I have no personal interest in buying this synth myself, but it looks like a really cool and decently featured synth for an excellent price.

I've been reading some of the posts slagging it off and really can't fathom where some of the things said come from. Seriously, people talking about features being copies of other older synth features, and getting it so wrong on so many counts.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristianRock View Post
What's not to like...
This pretty much sums it up for me. What's not to like about the MiniBrute at this point? Granted, there is good reason to be suspicious of the build quality, but unfortunately this is true for almost everything manufactured these days -- even so-called "high-end products." I can get very irritated when I pay good money for a "high-end product" that ends up feeling cheap, with obvious signs of cost-cutting (and believe me, it does happen). As for the MiniBrute, well, it's being marketed as a budget product, so my expectations are lower from the start. It will be what it will be. Nothing less... but possibly something more.

As for its specs being geared towards beginners, non-professionals, etc., I strongly disagree. For me (as a professional), the specs are precisely the selling point. The designer clearly put a lot of thought into what exactly this synth should offer. I think anyone with a lot of experience playing monosynths "in the field" or "on the front-line" knows exactly what features are most needed and/or appreciated. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've already got a number of monosynths, but I can see the Minibrute with a significant role in my studio as a kind of "utility synth". Depending on how it actually sounds in real life, it may or may not land lead roles, but based on the demos I've heard so far, it's certainly possible. Supporting roles even more so.

What's more, just having a unit with that filter on it would immediately make it unique among my synths, justifying at least a try-out -- especially in the price range it's being offered!

Really, people. What's not to like?

14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazmatic View Post
Heck, Korg already tested the waters with the Monotron and Monotribe, the next logical step for them would be to make a Minibrute-styled synth.
I got a feeling the next KORG analog product will be along the lines of Monotron/Monotribe...the Monotribe has a SYNC IN/OUT, I think something next is going to be utilizing it.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisonvague View Post
I think anyone with a lot of experience playing monosynths "in the field" or "on the front-line" knows exactly what features are most needed and/or appreciated. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've already got a number of monosynths, but I can see the Minibrute with a significant role in my studio as a kind of "utility synth". Depending on how it actually sounds in real life, it may or may not land lead roles, but based on the demos I've heard so far, it's certainly possible. Supporting roles even more so.
I've got a number of monosynths as well and I already see a place for the Minibrute.

You know, all of this slagging of the Minibrute reminds me of how people used to view the ARP ProSoloist -- small keyboard, that it's a 'toy', it's only a preset synth, looks like something you'd have sitting on a home organ, etc.

...and then you hear a ProSoloist in person and there is NOTHING that sounds quite like it. There still is nothing I know of that allows you to route aftertouch to multiple destinations simultaneously that even remotely approaches the sound that this thing can make with it's unique combination of preset bandpass filters (and analog aftertouch in 1971, no less).

It's only a 'toy' in the hands of a microbrain who chooses to label it as such. Put it in the hands of the likes of Tony Banks and you have magic.

edit: I might also add that the ProSoloist was the reason why Roland got into the synth game back in the 70's with the SH-1000. Roland certainly weren't targeting the Minimoog market then.

Ironic then that the similarly derided Minibrute potentially could pull Roland back into the analog synth game like the ProSoloist did.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Gear interested

I completely agree with you, Rob Ocelot. And I want Arp ProSoloist now.

I already have a twin VCO monosynth and I use single oscillator sounds half the time. Minibrute brings a lot of new features to the table. Sliders open new possibilites in real-time sound morphing, the whole synth looks like it was made with playing rather than sequencing in mind. I dont want to declare anything purchase-wise but this synth has definitely grabbed my interest.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

My only fear in regards to the MiniBrute is that I wont be getting mine from Musicians Friend until July, or maybe never, because they run out of stock...
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'll probably end up with a Minibrute as well but I don't get all the hype. Some folks might have to much expectations imho...

A nice affordable monosynth with a cool set of features ? Sure.
Something to die for ? Not convinced yet.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeProducer View Post
Well, we will see. I had dicussed that with some other guy and we agree on the black keys problem. You feel that I abused your name? Sorry. Regarding the black keys: I recorded different chords to see if I am right. It turned out that the black keys produce about 15-20 velocity levels less than the white keys. That has serious implications. When you play a chord using something like the Logic rhodes plugin, and the middle is a white key and two blacks, that middle note dominates. The result is that your sound gets influenced by this in a bad way unless you correct this manually, but who wants to waste his time for this? I really wanted to keep it, it looks great and feels good, but the keyboard action pissed me off.

Also I read in a review that the new Novation Impulse has a similar problem, just the other way round. I don't know what the hell Novation thinks ...
Abused my name? Did you not see the silly icon after my caps sentence? What's a guy gotta do here to make a joke?

But regarding the black keys, I'm not sure how you could know that for sure unless you programmed some robot that could hit a key with a specific velocity with accuracy, but I'll also mention that I'm a bit of a hack when it comes to keyboard playing and much more at home on a guitar and I'd know weirdnesses on a fretboard that most would probably miss, so it's probably true. Weird. Have you contacted Novation? I ask because it seems like something that could be easily fixed in a ROM update.

I do know that I tried a bunch of cheaper keyboards before I landed on Novation (back before the SL) Remote 61. Maybe this old board doesn't have the issue you mentioned and my SL is mostly used for a bass line and Live control. Anyway everything else I played sucked sucked sucked. It all felt like horrible cheap crap. The Novation actually felt like an instrument and the aftertouch felt perfect right off the bat and that's a big part of my "technique" if I have anything like that.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
I got a feeling the next KORG analog product will be along the lines of Monotron/Monotribe...the Monotribe has a SYNC IN/OUT, I think something next is going to be utilizing it.
What's really sad is that after Korg got it's "head start" (in more ways than the Monotrons obviously) Arturia came along and ate their lunch. Stupid on Korg's part. I've been interested in the Monotron concept but was waiting unitl it became a product like the Minibrute and they maxiblew it.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

I think what KORG is doing is this whole "micro analog studio" thing, basically making very affordable instruments with real analog sound to just get people interested in real analog gear (hands-on tweak-able layout, real analog sound) and as a stepping stone to everything else that's being made in the analog world today.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by volumetrik View Post
I think what KORG is doing is this whole "micro analog studio" thing, basically making very affordable instruments with real analog sound to just get people interested in real analog gear (hands-on tweak-able layout, real analog sound) and as a stepping stone to everything else that's being made in the analog world today.

Agree, but they missed a trick. And, in the corporate sense, they're at least a year behind this. Not everyone wants more than one synth, GS distorts that demographic, and every MiniBrute owner is potentially a 'maxitron' (or whatever) sale lost.

Arturia gauged the market, profiled expectations, marketed a product and found a niche that could easily shift them 25,000 plus worldwide, hell maybe more. Korg were caught with their corporate pants down, it seems, this time.
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persemone

Not everyone wants more than one synth,...
Blasphemy
14th April 2012
Old 14th April 2012
Lives for gear

I think the Minibrute was deisigned by Yves Usson " Yusynth" from the synth DIY community he builds modular stuff and posts his designs on his site for others to build.
Sound like a good guy.
From what i've heard on demos it looks pretty good for what it is in the price range.
Arturia have been clever marketing a 25note midi controller combined with an analog synth. I know a lot of guys that will kill for this thing because they want an analog synth and "don't have the room" for a big keyboard. "Guitarist then me thinks".
IMO don't think it'll be a classic think Novation Bass Station, I'm not on the list for one and not worried. If I were buying my first synth this wouldn'tbe it, But as an add on to existing gear why not.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
I think the Minibrute was deisigned by Yves Usson " Yusynth" from the synth DIY community he builds modular stuff and posts his designs on his site for others to build.
Sound like a good guy.
From what i've heard on demos it looks pretty good for what it is in the price range.
Arturia have been clever marketing a 25note midi controller combined with an analog synth. I know a lot of guys that will kill for this thing because they want an analog synth and "don't have the room" for a big keyboard. "Guitarist then me thinks".
IMO don't think it'll be a classic think Novation Bass Station, I'm not on the list for one and not worried. If I were buying my first synth this wouldn'tbe it, But as an add on to existing gear why not.
In many ways, I think this is a PERFECT first synth. It really teaches you the basics, isn't overwhelming and the synthesis concept as laid out here, pretty much applies to anything... kind of like on an orignal Moog.

(It's maybe not your first synth if you're looking for some jack-of-all-trades sound machine)

-andrews
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
In many ways, I think this is a PERFECT first synth. It really teaches you the basics, isn't overwhelming and the synthesis concept as laid out here, pretty much applies to anything... kind of like on an orignal Moog.
Exactly, or an Arp Odessey. I think it was wise of them to try and not copy a Moog, there are so many other companies doing that.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

i don't think anyone has said it yet.. so i don't mean to state the obvious.. but since some think single osc means crap... there is this to consider... most of the brute's functions work best with 1 oscillator... the saw animator.. wave folding... they all are best suited for single oscillator sounds

this little guy was very well thought out... i will say i won't pre-order or buy without knowing definitively about build quality... at this price it seems too good to be true.. but isn't that a great thing?
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post
i don't think anyone has said it yet.. so i don't mean to state the obvious.. but since some think single osc means crap... there is this to consider... most of the brute's functions work best with 1 oscillator... the saw animator.. wave folding... they all are best suited for single oscillator sounds

this little guy was very well thought out... i will say i won't pre-order or buy without knowing definitively about build quality... at this price it seems too good to be true.. but isn't that a great thing?
I think you're 100% right, I love that the design works to make the most of it. Keep it simple, some of THE greatest instruments have been exactly that idea... do one thing and do it well (Hell, the 303, etc)

I can't wait to hear how this sits in a mix amongs my other gear!

(P.S. Anyone else glad that we seemed to have "solved" our Homeproducer & Unfiltered 420 problem? ... Nice to actually get to talk about our synth)
TitusRaindrops
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Goat of Gear

And the design or concept isn't that revolutionary. I think the Minibrute has its roots in the DIY community where there are a lot of instruments and effects all of which are considered somewhat "limited" or have a more targeted feature set so they can be built relatively easily. If you think of the Minibute in this light, it is a super-refined, really really nice DIY type of instrument. It doesn't do everything but it does a few things in a unique way and really really well. Just the kind of thing I like.

IMO the Shruthi is the exception to this rule as it really is a full-blown DIY synth that tries to do almost everything and succeeds.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
Sound like a good guy.
I'm thinking more SH101 than Bass Station, also a budget synth
TitusRaindrops
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Goat of Gear

Those two were banned from this thread (at least).
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

I just got a eurorack system so am not in the market for yet another synth. That said the Minibrute looks rather impressive.

There are lots of facilities so there are huge possibilities for sounds design.

The lack of a second oscillator is completely irrelevant. You only use a second oscillator to beef up the sound. There are other ways to do this such as PWM or chorus. An animated wave folder can also perform the same function.

The Micromoog only has one (proper) oscillator but it can do a huge variety of sounds.
I also don't hear many complaints about the SH-101...

I don't think the lack of a second oscillator is a big deal - with all these facilities you just don't need it.

I have a whole bunch of monosynths including things like the SE-1 with is a very feature rich synth. They all have their unique functions, but none of them have all the capabilities -or sound- of the Minibrute.

The Minibrute has its limitations, but it's certainly no a toy.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rust Creep View Post

Yes, is it just me or does the saw sound like something out of a SID station?

Not in a bad way, (god forbid my post be erased by moderators for not liking it)... just different.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

A second or more osc do more than beef up a sound... FM, sync, detuning, etc ad infinitum

Those are just facts... non of which detracts from the brute

Sent from my DROIDX using Gearslutz App
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
G-Pa synth bragging rights: Mine was the road manager for ELP!

<-----------
ermmmm doesn't that make him a convicted cocaine distributor ZINNNNNGGGGGGG goof

:deep inside ELP reference:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search