New Reply
Subscribe
TitusRaindrops
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Goat of Gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie H View Post
ermmmm doesn't that make him a convicted cocaine distributor ZINNNNNGGGGGGG goof

:deep inside ELP reference:
Best song ever...

15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Creeper View Post
(god forbid my post be erased by moderators for not liking it)... just different.
That's a load of total crap and incredibly unfair... Who's post was erased for not liking a product?

How about you actually grow up and back-up your claim with specific examples, since when does anonymity give people permission to just spew B.S. ?

-andrews
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo View Post
That's a load of total crap and incredibly unfair... Who's post was erased for not liking a product?

How about you actually grow up and back-up your claim with specific examples, since when does anonymity give people permission to just spew B.S. ?

-andrews
I think a couple of people were banned from this thread, not because they didn't like it, but because they decided it was automatically crap based only on it's price. Also, making silly comments about it being cheap plastic (it's not) and what not. It's one thing to speculate as to how Arturia is going to maintain build quality in a pretty feature rich synth that seems to have a great sound based on demos and make a profit on it at $500, it's another thing to make false proclamations about it based on nothing.

I think this behavior comes from years of analog synths being a fairly expensive club to get into. Thus, exclusive to some degree. You needed to be very serious or somewhat loaded to have something decent. Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry can buy one! Next thing their country clubs will be letting in minorities! So while some lament the demise of their special club, I love the fact that instruments like this (and software) has made electronic music the modern folk music.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing View Post
I think a couple of people were banned from this thread, not because they didn't like it, but because they decided it was automatically crap based only on it's price. Also, making silly comments about it being cheap plastic (it's not) and what not. It's one thing to speculate as to how Arturia is going to maintain build quality in a pretty feature rich synth that seems to have a great sound based on demos and make a profit on it at $500, it's another thing to make false proclamations about it based on nothing.

I think this behavior comes from years of analog synths being a fairly expensive club to get into. Thus, exclusive to some degree. You needed to be very serious or somewhat loaded to have something decent. Now, every Tom, Dick and Harry can buy one! Next thing their country clubs will be letting in minorities! So while some lament the demise of their special club, I love the fact that instruments like this (and software) has made electronic music the modern folk music.
Funny, I made both those very points earlier in this thread prior to those very guys getting booted.

Agreed 101%

-andrews
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitusRaindrops View Post
It's $500 not $1500 or $3000. Think of it as a really cool pedal effect if that makes you feel better. The minimoog had no patch memory? Some people swear by the old-school voyagers because they don't have patch memory or digital electronics to prop you up or foul up your pristine analog signal path (sarcasm). You can always do old-school patch memory with paper control maps like back in the good old days.

It's always curious to me why certain pieces of gear spark such outrage from the mob. I usually take it as a good sign. If so many people are pissed off about it, they must be doing something right.

Okay you can pick up your clubs and axes again.
Haha! I completely agree! What's everyone's problem? It's a £430 mono synth. It is what it is, you either like the sound or you don't. Get over your selves!!
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best song ever...

EPIC THEME SONG INDEED! Awesome movie too
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear addict

I'm scared of the 'Brute myself. In fact, along with my pre-order money, I also gave the music store an extra 200 bucks for future karate lessons. You never know what the Metallizer might do to me while my back is turned.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

The metalizer turns your triangle Wave into a hesher wave
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear addict

There's no end to the fear! Run for the hills!
Attached Thumbnails
Fear of the Arturia MiniBrute-brutecovers-1.jpg  
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Only one oscillator. Cannot do this:

But seriously, this looks like a pretty flexible monosynth at an almost unbelievable price point. I bet they'll sell a boatload of them.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
I'm scared of the 'Brute myself. In fact, along with my pre-order money, I also gave the music store an extra 200 bucks for future karate lessons. You never know what the Metallizer might do to me while my back is turned.
Make sure you keep the envelope on the slow setting, or you'll never see it coming.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Gear addict

I'll be ready, man, I'll be READY!

15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

I'd be most worried about an ultrasaw...

I once cut the tip of my thumb off with a power saw...If it had been an ultrasaw, it probably would have taken my entire arm.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post

But seriously, this looks like a pretty flexible monosynth at an almost unbelievable price point. I bet they'll sell a boatload of them.
Yeah but why would you want too?

The Minibrute looks a good board but not for me.
As for people getting booted off for making asumptions does seem a bit Harsh after all it is still someones opinion even if it is B.S.
Made in china means cheap doesn't mean c**p.
Assuming that the stories are true that this synth was designed by "Yusynth" then their development costs would have been greatly reduced they may have very well past that saving on in the final price.
As for quality I've recently been repairing an ARP Pro Soloist and I can say that there is nothing quality about the construction but its still in one piece 40years on so bearing inmind how advanced modern electronic assembly techniques are assuming the design is good then I shouldn't think quality will be much of an issue.
15th April 2012
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
As for quality I've recently been repairing an ARP Pro Soloist and I can say that there is nothing quality about the construction
Heaven help you if your ProSoloist's 4034 filter craps out. You will be digging pieces of the silicone potting compound out of everything for months to come. :-)

I had the misfortune to open up an original ARP Soloist once. "Bubblegum and chicken wire" is probably the closest description I can give you.

My only real concern with the Minibrute is that it's likely all surface mount which doesn't lend itself to easy repair. Arturia does say it uses 'common components that wont be obsolete in 20 years' but that doesn't mean you'll be able to DIY eaisly or cheaply. It'll just be like what Sony does to repair a camera -- pay a tech $100 an hour to swap the SMT board with a new one.

I think Arturia was referring to how Andromeda owners will be SOL in the future once the supply of custom DSP chips dries up.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot View Post
Heaven help you if your ProSoloist's 4034 filter craps out. You will be digging pieces of the silicone potting compound out of everything for months to come. :-)

I had the misfortune to open up an original ARP Soloist once. "Bubblegum and chicken wire" is probably the closest description I can give you.

My only real concern with the Minibrute is that it's likely all surface mount which doesn't lend itself to easy repair. Arturia does say it uses 'common components that wont be obsolete in 20 years' but that doesn't mean you'll be able to DIY eaisly or cheaply. It'll just be like what Sony does to repair a camera -- pay a tech $100 an hour to swap the SMT board with a new one.

I think Arturia was referring to how Andromeda owners will be SOL in the future once the supply of custom DSP chips dries up.
No SMT is a Peace of P*** as long as there are no BGA's You will need a decent Iron like a metcal or a Pace intelliheat. and a hot air gun and some liquid flux Unless their using 0402 or smaller you should be able to work on that without magnification 0201 can be done by hand but only about 5% of the populus have the hand eye coordination to do it. I can so i'm lucky.
Totally agree about the ARP also fortunately it's not mine i'm reparing it for someone who took it to a tech? and he failed and then just tossed everything in the case lost all the screws and plugged all the cables in wrong. So i've had to rebuild it before I can start testing it. Got it all going apart from a couple of dodgy ribbon cables that you have to flex to get it to work.
I don't know where people get the idea analog synths were quality.
Most of them the case consruction is half assed the PCB's are full of blow holes and the wiring looks like it was done by "Ray Charles" I'm not a huge fan of "Roland" but the Japanese were pretty good at electronics in the 80's mainly down to their quality control. Even Korgs were not too bad circuit wise Some other's on the other hand I wouldn't trust them to wire a plug. Their designs always seem pretty good. But then it gets build by some low paid "Joe" who does a half assed job in putting it together. And whilst in the 60's and 70's the British were considered the best,you cannot take an old "Leak amp apart with out finding the customary "Cigarette Ash" in there.
China gets a bad wrap some of their stuff is cheap s***, but they can also knock out top quality goods. Lets face it most branded goods are made in China. The quality is checked more thoroughly for big brand names
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post

Holy carp! That was insane!! Must send the local wildlife crazy! WANT! NOW!

Anyway. The Minibrute. Is it any good?

From the YT demos I've watched, it looks like a solid little synth. Personally, I'm a bit more interested in smaller desktops at the mo- Dark Energy 2 etc. Wouldn't say no to a Minibrute though.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Best song ever...

hrmmm wow I don't think I've ever seen that particular zombie movie - ill have to fix this
TitusRaindrops
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Goat of Gear

Quote:
hrmmm wow I don't think I've ever seen that particular zombie movie - ill have to fix this
Actually, the movie is memorable for being one of the worst I have ever seen. But the music is something else entirely. I loved this piece the moment I first heard it.

The original Dawn of the Dead. Now THAT'S a zombie movie.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Actually, the movie is memorable for being one of the worst I have ever seen. But the music is something else entirely. I loved this piece the moment I first heard it.

The original Dawn of the Dead. Now THAT'S a zombie movie.
some of my favourite movies of all time are absolutely HORRIBLE

yea Dawn is good probably my all-time favourite - there's a lot of great french zombie movies coming out lately too
TitusRaindrops
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Goat of Gear

Quote:
some of my favourite movies of all time are absolutely HORRIBLE

yea Dawn is good probably my all-time favourite - there's a lot of great french zombie movies coming out lately too
Post the titles if you can think of them. I always have room for a good zombie movie.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

sure here's a couple good ones i liked - you can get them all subtitled

this isn't a zombie movie but it's awesome reminds me of a french version of 'Brazil' but all underground underneath a tree

TitusRaindrops
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Goat of Gear

Quote:
sure here's a couple good ones i liked - you can get them all subtitled

Thank you! Added to queue... I know what I'm doing later.
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thank you! Added to queue... I know what I'm doing later.

yea they're all good (imho) - check out Eden Log, it's not a zombie movie but very cool - kind of drags a bit could have been edited down a bit but it's a great concept
16th April 2012
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by the donal View Post
Holy carp! That was insane!! Must send the local wildlife crazy! WANT! NOW!

Anyway. The Minibrute. Is it any good?

From the YT demos I've watched, it looks like a solid little synth. Personally, I'm a bit more interested in smaller desktops at the mo- Dark Energy 2 etc. Wouldn't say no to a Minibrute though.
As everybody else now seems to be discussing movies i'll try to answer.
Its depends on what else you have?
If you have no analog gear and wish to add analog to your set up then the minibrute does look to be a very versatile little synth. And also has the added advantage of also being a compact midi controller! It has Midi, CV/Gate and USB so intergration should be a doddle.
It has the unusual Parker steiner filter opposed to the usual ota, roland and moog clones so it will sound different. There are cheaper ways to get into analog than this I have just seen the excellent ARP axxe go on ebay for around £350 or there is the MFB Megazwerb mini modular for about £380 new!
Or S/H there is the Novation Bassstation for less than £200 or the Sh101 for around the £450-£550 mark

Bear in mind that most "classic" analogs are 30years old or more within a decade a Minimoog will officially become an antique (50years old.) Without some repairs and restoration these synths are in their twilight years and will require investment to maintain their correct functionallity.

However the Minibrute and the Megazwerb are new products quality not being an issue? you could look forward to 30-40years of service out of these units. Novations are around 10-15years old now.

But beware many modern electronics use Pic controllers or similar to implement things like midi or logic functions the spec on these IC's state that the Data retention after the writting of these IC's is about 40 years Wouldn't be a problem unless you intend to leave it to your Granchildren
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
yea they're all good (imho) - check out Eden Log, it's not a zombie movie but very cool - kind of drags a bit could have been edited down a bit but it's a great concept
Just bought Eden Log due to your description of it - Doesn't get much better than that!
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Septik View Post
Just bought Eden Log due to your description of it - Doesn't get much better than that!

just trying to be honest it starts off like WHOA and then drags a bit in the middle before picking up again at the end

i tend to think almost every movie needs to have 10 minutes cut out
TitusRaindrops
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Goat of Gear

Quote:

just trying to be honest it starts off like WHOA and then drags a bit in the middle before picking up again at the end

i tend to think almost every movie needs to have 10 minutes cut out
Watched Mutants tonight. Liked it a lot! Thanks for the tip!

My wife was so tense she chewed off a fingernail...
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamster View Post
Bear in mind that most "classic" analogs are 30years old or more within a decade a Minimoog will officially become an antique (50years old.) Without some repairs and restoration these synths are in their twilight years and will require investment to maintain their correct functionallity.
50 years is kinda an arbitrary cut off date. I am in the antique business and I wouldn't say that anything newer couldn't be considered an antique. Infact, according to the US Customs Service an antique has to be at least 100 years old. Again, dates are arbitrary.
17th April 2012
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Watched Mutants tonight. Liked it a lot! Thanks for the tip!

My wife was so tense she chewed off a fingernail...
try La Horde next

...also check out a BBC tv show called Dead Set - even tho it's a tv show it's actually better than most new zombie movies, i think it's a couple years old now

Behind The Mask - The Rise of Leslie Vernon (this movie is pure genius and a mashup of about 10 different genres - love it) the storyline in this is just so well done and so smart
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search