Login / Register

My Techno Productions will thank me for it!
New Reply
Subscribe
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
You can still use the internal sequencer... just saying.. it's pretty obvious how much better for instance .. the hi-hats sound when you can adjust the volume every step... btw - you can sequence internally and externally at the same time... pick and choose your instruments.

It's like using an Alpha Juno 1 and never using velocity or aftertouch.. you're missing out on quite a bit.
as additional sequener experiment? ok.. but i wouldnt call that mandatory and you miss the dynamics of realtime pattern changes than. its not really like the 909 internal hihat sequences would be stiff just because you only have 3 velocity stages..

advantage of the internal sequencer is the wonky 909 swing, flams and mentioned pattern change action.

too bad that the 909 dont has midi output for the internal instrument tracks..than an external sequencer might make sense to record a realtime performance and than play it back with edits aso..
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubtek71 View Post
Furthermore you cannot pick and choose which instruments you are going to sequence via midi. You cannot use Din for the kicks and then midi for the hats. You need to select which sequencing mode you are going to be using then, set the 909 to it and then you are off to the races.

Altho maybe you mean use the 909 drum sounds and then add the external sequencer feature?
Of course, I never meant you were gonna split up DIN and MIDI. Why even bring DIN into this?

Whatever, it's like night and day to me. Especially with hi-hats and kicks.. makes it so I don't need to use delay in most cases.

it's like the difference between 86 and 96 to me..
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel View Post
Of course, I never meant you were gonna split up DIN and MIDI. Why even bring DIN into this?

Whatever, it's like night and day to me. Especially with hi-hats and kicks.. makes it so I don't need to use delay in most cases.

it's like the difference between 86 and 96 to me..
I only mention the DiNsync for the reason I stated about midi. It's how I am running mine now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede View Post
This forum is insane- the hell was with all the conspiracy theory nonsense?

Axiom static
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 View Post
look, how cliched

teasing, nice 909, what firmware is it?
Don't know man.
Good question.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom static View Post
Don't know man.
Good question.
I'm at work right now, so i might be incorrect. Iirc to check firmware hold down step key 1 and power on. If that doesn't work search a vid on YouTube called a "a close up look at the 909" that will tell you how to check the firmware.

Hmmm... I think I may be incorrect about this. Check the vid to make sure as I may be confusing it with updating the Cirklon firmware.

Last edited by Dubtek71; 12th April 2012 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: Add info
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

To check 909 firmware version

Press and HOLD track play [1] button and switch on 909.

If step light 1 blinks you have v1.0
If step light 4 blinks you have V4.0
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
I'm at work right now, so i might be incorrect. Iirc to check firmware hold down step key 1 and power on. If that doesn't work search a vid on YouTube called a "a close up look at the 909" that will tell you how to check the firmware.

Hmmm... I think I may be incorrect about this. Check the vid to make sure as I may be confusing it with updating the Cirklon firmware.
Thanks guys, aint got it yet but will keep this mind yeah!

So what is difference folks?
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:

So what is difference folks between firmwares?

Can't imagine you can still update yeah?
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom static View Post

So what is difference folks between firmwares?

Can't imagine you can still update yeah?
Actually, it is possible to update. The firmware comes on an EProm chip which can be installed in the 909. Look here for more info
TR-909 eprom v4.0

...the challenge is finding and installing a chip. They might be found on ebay
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear addict

Not wanting to snark - just offering a correction...

[QUOTE=Dubtek71;7770121]Actually you cannot adjust the volume of each step. Only the amount of accent on each step which ranges from 64 to 127. Nothing below 64. It accent reads as velocity via midi.[\QUOTE]

...which in effect lets you adjust the volume of each step. Certainly in the context of Djugel's high-hat variation comment.

[QUOTE=Dubtek71;7770121]Furthermore you cannot pick and choose which instruments you are going to sequence via midi. You cannot use Din for the kicks and then midi for the hats.[\quote]

There is nothing stopping you from picking and choosing which instruments you sequence via MIDI. You could use DIN to sync internally sequenced kicks and use MIDI to trigger the hats - if you wanted to.

Congrats Axiom!
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=nutjob;7774494]Not wanting to snark - just offering a correction...

[QUOTE=Dubtek71;7770121]Actually you cannot adjust the volume of each step. Only the amount of accent on each step which ranges from 64 to 127. Nothing below 64. It accent reads as velocity via midi.[\QUOTE]

...which in effect lets you adjust the volume of each step. Certainly in the context of Djugel's high-hat variation comment.

Quote:
Furthermore you cannot pick and choose which instruments you are going to sequence via midi. You cannot use Din for the kicks and then midi for the hats.[\quote]

There is nothing stopping you from picking and choosing which instruments you sequence via MIDI. You could use DIN to sync internally sequenced kicks and use MIDI to trigger the hats - if you wanted to.

Congrats Axiom!
I don't feel snark'ed(is that a word?) at all. I am always more than happy to learn something.

Not each step, all the steps that have accent applied to them receive the same amount of accent. But yes at the end of the day it does equate to a volume change, to be fair. Its the same only different.

Wow. I just tried out the midi & din sequencing together, it works. Thats impressive. I didn't expect it to still respond to midi when in sync mode. Although it does make sense now that I consider it. Cool. Thank-you very much for the correction. That will prove to be quite useful.

At the same time you have now put a kink in my spendy plan to fill the midi port that the 909 was previously sitting on.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Not each step, all the steps that have accent applied to them receive the same amount of accent.
We are talking via MIDI, which frees you from this limitation imposed by the internal seq. Try it!

Quote:
you have now put a kink in my spendy plan to fill the midi port that the 909 was previously sitting on.
There is a more spendy plan that requires you to get more MIDI outs
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Banned

Quote:
Actually, it is possible to update. The firmware comes on an EProm chip which can be installed in the 909. Look here for more info
TR-909 eprom v4.0

Isnt the V4.0 too buggy to be used?
Axiom static
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
TR-909 eprom v4.0

Thanks, however if i just leave as is I am sure I still can operate yeah.

Cannot tell you what Firmware it has as it is currently in transit somewhere.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by apres garde View Post
Boom chick boom chick boom chick boom chick
No, the 909 goes "unce unce unce," everybody knows that.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search