Cubase: Quantize in percent? %
Old 5th April 2012
Gear maniac

Cubase: Quantize in percent? %

Hi! Is it possible in Cubase to choose so you can only quantize for example 50% , instead of just 100%?

I have been trying this for some time, but cant figure it out.
I am talking about that every note is beeing quantized, but only a set percentage closer to the grid. The only option I have found is that you can choose quantize the notes within a certain percentage to perfect lock/grid...
and then it just leaves the remaining notes un-quantized. This is not what I want....

Thanks!
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

good question
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

AFAIK the midi-editor and the quantize-panel don't allow you to "shift" notes that are sitting perfect on the grid for some %. I sometimes use the swing-tool, like in drummachines... but when I need what "you" are looking for, I shift notes manually... would be interested if there is a way to do it another way...
Old 6th April 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Hi,

You can use the nudge features or goto quantize menu and add swing from 0-100%

Mark
Old 6th April 2012
Gear addict

Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

duuuude i was wondering what that new button was for....i was planning to investigate shortly. god i love Cubase.
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

here is another question. in Cubase 5, when i highlight notes in the midi editor, they turn black. i like my background dark so they basically disappear. in 5 they would still be able to be seen, fix for that??

Also, one more haha (sorry OP) how do i make the drum notes have different symbol in the drum map?
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
duuuude i was wondering what that new button was for....i was planning to investigate shortly. god i love Cubase.
Fa real yo?

Cubase Groove Extraction Tutorial

Iterative is still pretty square. Try groove templates. Or just play better parts.
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
here is another question. in Cubase 5, when i highlight notes in the midi editor, they turn black. i like my background dark so they basically disappear. in 5 they would still be able to be seen, fix for that??
not in the studio right now, but I am pretty shure you can set color for "selected" content somewhere in the preferencies-dialogue... event-display? or something like that...?!?
Old 6th April 2012

In Cubase 5 you set the colours to show for part in the top right of Cubase, next to the quantize settings.
Then when you open the part the notes will have the colour assigned to the part, not sure if they still go black when selected though.

Mark
Old 6th April 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatspin View Post
Hi! Is it possible in Cubase to choose so you can only quantize for example 50% , instead of just 100%?

I have been trying this for some time, but cant figure it out.
I am talking about that every note is beeing quantized, but only a set percentage closer to the grid. The only option I have found is that you can choose quantize the notes within a certain percentage to perfect lock/grid...
and then it just leaves the remaining notes un-quantized. This is not what I want....

Thanks!
would that ever be possible? quantizing something by say 67% isn't going to get you onto an exact point, even with a large ppq. I can see why it would be desirable, but think it is only ever a percentage of all notes moved on any sequencers I've ever used.
Old 6th April 2012

Quantizing notes by something like 67& is desirable in some instances due to the fact that you can add human "imperfections" in this way, especially in drum programing.

As i said above, use the nudge palette with the Snap feature turned off and you can move notes anywhere you like.

Mark
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Iterative Quantization, its set to about 70% by default but you can change that in settings, i use it all the time after programming drums in real time, keeps the feel but makes it tighter
Old 6th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Flint View Post
not in the studio right now, but I am pretty shure you can set color for "selected" content somewhere in the preferencies-dialogue... event-display? or something like that...?!?
i know how to set the colors of the notes, i am talking about when i select them to quantize or move, they turn black in Cubase 6.
Old 8th April 2012
Gear maniac

@ rasmus: Thank you! Thats exactly it:D

Nice link too!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search